The brilliant AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The brilliant AI

Well, yes it's brilliant, but I just used that title to get Soren's attention.

So here's the question: Say we have two defensive units. Infantry, with both AI offense and AI defense flags in the editor, and Mech. Infantry, with only the defense flag. Say the AI builds an Infantry unit in an attack role because it doesn't have access to oil or saltpeter. What happens to that unit later, when it's time to upgrade (assuming he now has the necessary resources)?

a) Does it upgrade retaining an attack role, even if Mech Infantry doesn't have that flag set in the editor?

b) Does it upgrade to a defensive role, thereby changing the balance of the AI's offensive and defensive units?

c) Does it not upgrade at all, instead performing attacks against more modern units until it's killed?

PS. Note that this is not the case in the standard game. Mech Infantry actually has offense and defense flagged. But does that mean that there is a chance that the AI will actually build Mech Inf. instead of tanks for attack, even though they both require the same resources?

the answer is b)... if MI's do not have an offensive flag option, then the only MI's the AI can have are "defensive" MI's.
    Last edited by Soren Johnson; August 6, 2002, 17:46.
    - What's that?
    - It's a cannon fuse.
    - What's it for?
    - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Thanks Soren - your'e the best!

Comment

Six minute response time!!

(but, Soren, do you mean MAs or MIs?)

Assuming MIs, this means that the AI will not mass upgrade it's offensive Infantry until it has Tanks?
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Theseus, I believe you always have tanks when you have Mech Infantry. They require the same resources, don't they?

Comment

Wellexcept for the fact that the two units are at the opposite ends of the Modern Age tech tree. Mech Infantry requires computers, I believe, while Modern Armour becomes availible with Synthetic Fibers. Both have prerequesit techs independant of each other, so you can have one without the other.
            Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

I just meant that it wouldn't upgrade until it had built a sufficient number of Tanks to maintain balance, which I would think of as a mistake.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I think the AI is building Tanks on a bigger scale in 1.29f. But since Tanks are considered offensive weapons, the AI doesn't build many under Democracy and during peace time. Thus a human player has it very easy to backstab the AI.

I think the key here is to give AI greater emphasis on building more Tanks and fewer Infantries.

Comment

Yes, but then your forcing the AI to take a much more aggressive stance even if in a 'peaceful' government. Personally, I think that the number of Offensive to Defensive unit ratio should be more greatly influenced by the Civ's Aggresiveness factor rather than a forced AI script.
                  Making the Civ-world a better place (and working up to King) one post at a time....

Comment

Soren, could you let us know which improvements in Civ3 fall under which categories in the "build often" list (civilisations tab of the Editor)?

This would really aid us modders.

Many thanks if you can.

Comment

DrJambo,

most of the information is already available in the key to AI greatness thread in the strategy forum.

Comment

nice trick, alexman

I guess the spark of attention from Soren is already gone, but if not, I'd really appreciate some comments on the 'bugs from MT V testing' thread in the strat forum. Most of these are related to the AI, but I have to admit the title isn't that catchy as this one

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
                          I think the AI is building Tanks on a bigger scale in 1.29f. But since Tanks are considered offensive weapons, the AI doesn't build many under Democracy and during peace time. Thus a human player has it very easy to backstab the AI.
                          There's an old saying that "Those who wish for peace should prepare for war," or something like that. Meaning that a strong army is a powerful deterent of enemy agression. Nuclear weapons have been used almost exclusively in this fashion (thank goodness). Also, even "offensive" units have important uses in defensive warfare -- you can attack invading units in your territory. In fact, unless the enemy's offensive unit has a defensive unit protecting it, it is usually better to do this than simply to wait to be attacked.

So, in conclusion, even a peaceful, defensive democracy needs a balanced military, not just mainly defensive units. In other words, the AI is dumb.
                          "God is dead." - Nietzsche
                          "Nietzsche is dead." - God

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM2433
                            . . .So, in conclusion, even a peaceful, defensive democracy needs a balanced military, not just mainly defensive units. In other words, the AI is dumb.
                            Right on the nose!

This AI is BRAINDEAD, not "brilliant".

I once was the number one power with China, on my border, a very close second. There were by then six other civs scattered around.

I decided to take out China and as soon as I developed tanks I went after him. (I had modded the game so I wasn't restricted by Firaxis' stupid unit values and too few units, but tanks were still the best time to attack then).

WHAMMO! I hit him hard. Did very well that first turn.

I then waited for the inevitable DEVASTATING COUNTERATTACK - made all the worse owing to the ridiculous and illogical UNLIMITED MP's of units on railroads.

That counteratttack never came!! Just a few paltry attacks with cavalry, some tanks, and no artillery of course. The stupid AI is too dumb to use artillery.

So, I continued to roll over China. It was easy, unchallenging, and rather tedious. All because of Soren's STUPID AI that thinks "the best defense is lots of defensive units". Soren obviously knows NOTHING about military strategy. Without OFFENSIVE units to counterattack you will LOSE, especially as the AI can't figure out how to use artillery offensively.

Comment

....and he spoke !.... once again!

So long...
                              Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                              Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                              Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Working...
                              X