Wonders wish list.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonders wish list.

With even the current editor, I see possibilities for new and cool wonders. I'm leaving alone what should be great and small for now.

East India Trading Company:
    Available with Navigation, minimum 3 harbours.
    Acts as an offshore platform in the city where it is built (+1 shield per water square)

Waystation Network:
    Available with Map Making, requires horses, requires more horses (I haven't tested whether checking off horses twice in the editor means you need two supplies of horses to build it).
    Mounted units have 5x movement rate on roads instead of 3x.

Drake's Drydock:
    Available with Magnetism
    Ships built at this city have +1HP.

The Valkyries' Mead:
    Available with Warrior Code, expires with Chivalry
    All Warrior units have +3HP, all Swordsman units have +2HP. (Jaguar Warriors probably only get +2HP)

Alchemist's Fire:
    Available with Literature
    Your catapults have lethal bombardment.

Welsh Yew Bowyery:
    Available with Chivalry
    Your Longbowmen gain Zone of Control.

Marco Polo's Expedition:
    Available with Education, expires with Fission
    Your civ gains an additional trait (expansionist, militaristic etc.)

Hudson's Bay Trading Company:
    Available with Banking
    Your luxuries trades earn you 1/3 more money (this is not at the expense of the civ you are trading with, it just pads your coffers straight from the new world). No effect on trades where you're the buyer.

And lastly, the obligatory gratuitously whacked-ass suggestion:

The Great Funeral Pyre:
    Requires Heroic Epic
    All Leader units gain bombardment range 1 and the "nuclear weapon" and "tactical missile" traits.

I think that there should be more modern-day actual wonders, rather than simply concepts:

Eiffel Tower
    Sydney Opera House
    Statue of Liberty
    Brandenburg Gate
    World Trade Centre
    The Internet

Don't ask me what they do; it just seems a shame that the modern-day wonders we have are made-up when we have so many real-life ones.
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

btw - Funereal Pyre.

Nuke, in the ancient age? Erm...no
      Up the Irons!
      Rogue CivIII FAQ!
      Odysseus and the March of Time
      I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

nukes in the ancient age? sure, if they prayed hard enough and sacraficed enough animals and gold then maybe the gods would feel right in smiting a few people.

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
          I think that there should be more modern-day actual wonders, rather than simply concepts:
          More interested in what they do, myself.

Eiffel Tower
          Requires Iron.
          Gives you a 20-turn supply of iron conveniently downtown if ever your trade agreements run out.

Sydney Opera House
          Your entire civilization produces zero culture, but since you're good at sports, you double the effects of your coliseums. (I love Australia).

Statue of Liberty
          Increases assimilation rate of foreign nationals in your cities.

Brandenburg Gate
          I'd rather see the Berlin Wall - more of a wonder, even if it's not a positive one. One additional unhappy person in this city, but the odds of losing your cities to culture are reduced big time.

World Trade Centre
          Increased odds of intercepting enemy aircraft in this city.

The Internet
          All civs have increased waste. Including yours.

If you really want a modern one, make the Chunnel... lets you build roads in coast squares. But that's for after PTW comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by gentleriser
            Statue of Liberty
            Increases assimilation rate of foreign nationals in your cities.
            A very interesting idea IMO. Too bad it can't be done with the current editor.
            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

hi ,

canals should be in the game , .....

the Wallstreet wonder should be a big wonder , at the same time the civ that builds it , and the other civ's should ba able to build a central bank , giving you 5 percent like now , with a limit of 50 gold in total , the Wallstreet wonder should put an other 50 gold on top , but you would need at least 2500 before you would have it , ....

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812

Eiffel Tower
                Sydney Opera House
                Statue of Liberty
                Brandenburg Gate
                World Trade Centre
                The Internet

Don't ask me what they do; it just seems a shame that the modern-day wonders we have are made-up when we have so many real-life ones.
                The ancient wonders are largely made up too! The Seven Wonders of the World included, in addition to the four in Civ (Pyramids, Lighthouse, Hanging Gardens, Colossus), the Tomb of Masoleus, the Statue of Zeus at Olympia, and the Temple of Artemis at Ephesis.

The list of modern wonders varies, but includes stuff that isn't applicable to the game - Panama Canal, big bridges, tall stuff, Chunnel, etc. Of course, the Hoover Dam (or another big dam - the one in South America, the Aswan Dam, that thing the Chinese are doing) tends to make these lists.

The game mechanic - making stuff up for good design reasons - works better than slavish adherence to the concept of Wonders. Pick an impressive thing, figure out what it does. I like some of the suggestions here (and their possible effects - the Internet is wasting my time RIGHT NOW!), but the Sydney Opera House? Neat looking, but what does it DO? Why is it a wonder (it's cool and distinctive, but it's still just an opera house)? Why the Brandenburg Gate, and not the Arc de Triomphe?

We do live in an age of wonders. Go anywhere in less than a day? Talk to people around the world instantaneously? How about "cure for small pox" as a wonder! "Green Revolution" (the agricultural one, not the eco-cultist type) would make a good one - once you build it, you get an extra food or two per square... in every square.

Comment

Here was my idea for the Internet. Since it allows people from different countries and thoughts to connect and talk to each other, I would think it would allow the rest of the world to see your way of life in a much better light, for instance, in China, they are closing lots of internet cafes because the people are being exposed to what America is really like, not commie propeganda. I would think that if you built the Internet, your cities should be immune to culture flipping, and maybe have a 5-10% bonus when checking to flip other civs cities. I'm just not sure how useful that would be by the time you would be able to build it, normally when I play, by the time you get to the modern ages, you don't see many flips anymore. But again, that's usually because everyone has control of a continent and no one's in range.

Edit: I forgot to mention why it would give your civ immunity to flipping, and that would be because it draws your people closer together, so they have a much bigger cultural identity.
                  They don't call me Springfield Fats because I'm morbidly obese!

Comment

I would like to see more modern wonders.

I like the Statue of Liberty. I like the idea for its benefit as well. Definately, only Republics and Democracies should be able to build it or reap its benefit.

I disagree with the Internet being a wonder. It has no benefit that isn't available to everyone. Maybe it could increase war weariness (ignores government types) globally to help bring about world peace.

gentleriser... I didn't like that comment about the World Trade Center.

Modern Wonders could also simply have the same benefit of ancient ones which have become obsolete. A Great Library replacement, a Colossus replacement, etc.

Comment

Some very nice ideas, gentleriser, I especially like the Berlin Wall (as it has a choice: better culture flip at the expense of happiness), East India company, statue of liberty and Drake's drydock. But almost all of your wonders are worth adding, no super advantage so that you need to build it or lose, but each one worth it in some situation.

You miss one aspect of the game IMHO, which is not addressed in the original wonders either: something that battles pollution.
                      Why not a Tokyo Air Convetion, which halves pollution in all your cities? You could even include a rule that says the Americans aren't able to build it, if you want some more realism

DeepO

Comment

hi ,

they should put at least 10 big and 10 small wonders extra in the game , ......

there is room for it , especially with more civ's on the way , .....

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Arch de' Triumph -- culture generator, requires victorious army, small wonder

Temploe of Zues -- culture generator, possibly happiness, available with Polytheism, requires ivory

Statue of Liberty -- modern era version of Colossus
                          The true nature of a man is shown by what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Comment

Originally posted by Amadan
                            Arch de' Triumph -- culture generator, requires victorious army, small wonder

Temploe of Zues -- culture generator, possibly happiness, available with Polytheism, requires ivory

Statue of Liberty -- modern era version of Colossus
                            hi ,

, "Statue Of Liberty" , it would be easier for "foreign" workers and settlers to become citizens of your civ , ......

have a nice day

Comment

Originally posted by panag

, "Statue Of Liberty" , it would be easier for "foreign" workers and settlers to become citizens of your civ , ......

have a nice day
                              That would be better, but would require extra work with coding which probably won't be done.
                              I was trying to limit suggestions to the currently available flags.
                              The true nature of a man is shown by what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Comment

Working...
                              X