Make City Flipping an option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make City Flipping an option

I've been a long time civ fan, played civ 1 since its been out and I haven't stopped since. The only problem I've had with civ 3 is the city flipping. Its unrealistic, annoying, and it can spoil a perfectly good game. I'm not saying ban that new culture aspect altogether, because that would be forcing a decision on someone else. All I'm saying is stop forcing this city flipping crap on us and give us an option to turn the damn thing off.

I don't know if it would be hard to do or not, but just give us an answer because thats the only aspect thats stopping me and my civ buddies from moving onto civ3. We're still playing 40 hour ultimate civ 2 games, lol.

If it has been implemented already sorry for this thread because I haven't been following civ 3 since I lost 80 bombers and 12 modern tanks in a city flip.
    Chat With Kings
    Spies Report<From: Bruce To: Gordon> Once I get some factories I'll start nibbling at Phat Phal's cities.

I like culture flipping - it stops you building only military units, and Civ is so much more than that
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

I agree that an option to turn it off would be great.

Comment

I find it a great addition to the game, but yes, making it an option would certainly cut down on a lot of whining in the forums......

What i don't understand is why people can't just trouble themselves to build a library or 2??? It's gotta be easier than all this complaining.........

Comment

If there is an option to turn off culture flips, it should also reduce your score by 10% to 20%, because it makes it easier to conquer the world.
          None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Re: Make City Flipping an option

Originally posted by Phat_Phal

If it has been implemented already sorry for this thread because I haven't been following civ 3 since I lost 80 bombers and 12 modern tanks in a city flip.
            \

They have toned down the cultural flipping somewhat, and an "off button" would be a good idea, though at a somewhat reduced point score.

You might want to try Civ3 again. But if you only want to blow things up, then you might not be a Civ3 player. You have to learn to play culture to play Civ3. It's actually not that difficult, but it does require your active attention.

Comment

Can't disagree more. Culture flipping got to remain there.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by star mouse
                If there is an option to turn off culture flips, it should also reduce your score by 10% to 20%, because it makes it easier to conquer the world.
                No, it should change your score to 0. That's right - ZERO. The game was built and balanced based on the various cultural aspects being included, and if they're able to be shut off, it should be just like going into cheat mode in Civ2 - you score nothing.
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Stuie -

Comment

Fine, I would be more than willing to have a score of zero. I want this for PBEM anyway. No way any rational person is going to invest the six months or so necessary to PBEM and risk having the whole game ruined by a cultural flip.

Comment

Jim, when will you accept that as a part of the game or at least give strong arguments against it?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                        No way any rational person is going to invest the six months or so necessary to PBEM and risk having the whole game ruined by a cultural flip.
                        Have you seriously had a "whole game ruined by a cultural flip."?? With the 1.21f patch and appropriate precautions, I don't think I've lost a single city to flipping. It's just a matter of a sufficient garrison (which seems reasonable in a newly conquered city or even in a border city) and building temples/libraries/cathedrals/etc. But if you don't feel like taking precautions....
                        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                          Have you seriously had a "whole game ruined by a cultural flip."?? With the 1.21f patch and appropriate precautions, I don't think I've lost a single city to flipping. It's just a matter of a sufficient garrison (which seems reasonable in a newly conquered city or even in a border city) and building temples/libraries/cathedrals/etc. But if you don't feel like taking precautions....
                          You are correct here. With 1.21f and by taking the necessary (simple) precautions, culture flipping isn't that much of a problem. In fact, I usually gain more cities than I lose from culture flipping (if I lose any at all, that is).

However, having the option to turn it off in multiplayer mode could be a good thing, because someone could get very lucky and essentialy 'ruin' this game you have been playing for a long time.

Comment

I agree; it's ridiculously hard to actually have a game ruined by a single flip. I've lost armies when I was careless before, but that has never significantly altered the outcome of the war (although it has delayed its end by a few turns... leading to a lot of WW). Unless you decided to stack every unit you have in one caputured enemy city on the other side of the world of your capital, it is basically impossible that flipping could ruin an entire game.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Culture flipping has to remain in the game. It's the single most important addition to the Civ series. If you want an option to turn it off, all you want is a war game and not a Civ game. Civ3 is necessarily about conquering the world: it's about building a civilization to stand the test of time. Go back to playing Age of Empires
                              Up the Irons!
                              Rogue CivIII FAQ!
                              Odysseus and the March of Time
                              I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Working...
                              X