I fear multiplayer could get too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah Snoop

Yes snoop the ideas I posted in my making civ3 truly civ3 post for the most part all aim towards taking off of our shoulders all the unecessary burden the game programmers have left us. Come on, for a game of this scope where there can be hundreds of units and cities to command there MUST be a wide range of well developed commands from the single unit up to hundreds of units and various groups of units at the same time.

There should be waypoints, group selection and hotkeying, stack bombard (bombard with all yer arty in tile with just 1 keypress), fortify-all commands and many others. There were NO such conventions when the game was first shipped. Excuse me.. wtf? No wonder they didnt bother to release multiplayer it would have been a joke not to mention they didnt even finish it on time. If you dont have the budget and time to fully finish a game that has the potential to be one of the very best dont make the game at all... ok? Greedy bastards.

Anyway, there is still time and these commands can be added. To make multiplayer more viable and the game generally a better game with much less tedium allowing the player to focus on overall empire and not click click click (oops there goes 30 minutes) stack , hotkeying etc commands need to be added.

Sorry im kindof angry that they didnt add these features to start with. If they playtested their own game even once the need for them would have been very obvious. Im sure they knew about it but didnt bother with it for whatever reasons they have and that pisses me off.. especially since they charge 50 bucks for it. Software developers throw half finished buggy software at us and we lap it up. I hate that that pisses me off..... spend some more cash and finish the job! Well why should they, we shell out the cash so whatever I suppose. Now I hear they are also screwing MOO3 little by little. Get your **** together Infogrames cuz if you keep pushing developers to release half finished games.. well if I was a dev id say screw you.

Sorry again i dunno this wave of anger just suddenly swept over me. Anyway, I hope some new commands are added to make the game smoother and run faster turn-time wise. This is primarily a problem in early industrial- modern times as before that if you are experienced player you can zip past the ages. But once you get all those units and wars going later on click click click redundantly will take you lots of unecessarily wasted time.

Comment

You wouldn't say screw you, you'd say:

'Hmmm, I'm not happy about the way things are going on the.....oh wow, my pay packet, thanks a lot boss'
      Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

Comment

Originally posted by redstar1

'Hmmm, I'm not happy about the way things are going on the.....oh wow, my pay packet, thanks a lot boss'
        Just picked up mine yesterday!
        signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

My thoughts on MP

LAN MP (i.e. simultaneous play to the end) would have to be limited to small maps or played among people who are together anyway to be practical. PBEM, OTOH, would be much like a succession game, but longer, as instead of 10 turns at a time, you'd play *one* turn of *one* civ, and send the game on to the next person. Some of the SGs take a month or more now. PBEM might take months on a huge map, and whether that's fun or not depends on who's playing. If it's not fun for you, then don't play it. I wouldn't have the hours-at-a-time to play simultaneous/internet/LAN MP very often, but playing a turn on each of 2 or 3 PBEM games might be fun for me. YMMV.
          --Mav

Comment

Hmm

Originally posted by redstar1

Yeah I guess yer right.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              I'm sure they'll have a time limit option like was done on CTP2. But then again I thought they'd have unit stacking in the shipped version too.
              Time limits are crap when you run out of time halfway through moving your units though. The key to mp will be playing on small maps (which most people will do).

Comment

That's why we need true stacked movement. w/o them, we will get hundreds of units to move around.
                We better get stacked bombard as well. It is annoying that I gotta send my 15 bombards out to bomb his single pikemen one by one.
                ==========================
                www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

I think its stupid really with all your fancy commands it would still take to long even on a tiny map
                  lets say a turn takes you 2 minitues and there must be 300 turns in the game so thats
                  2 times 2 times 300 = 1200 minutes divide by 60 = 20 hours imagine that yahhhhh
                  its never going to happen i dont care if i am not perfect on my caulations but
                  you should get the genral idea
                  Denday

Comment

it is true. multiplay simply takes too much time. Games are going real time now. No one's got the time to play out-dated turn base game online.
                    ==========================
                    www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Dida
                      it is true. multiplay simply takes too much time. Games are going real time now. No one's got the time to play out-dated turn base game online.
                      i disagree.

if you have a group of friends (i do, i know 11 civers my area) it works out well.

we usually play for an hour or two every night or so, and actually held a civ-lan
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

A civ-lan?

Wow, that would have been fun. I don't know too many civers in my local area, so I've never tried it.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

MP for Turn-based games is crap.

I played a Hotseat game of CivII with one of my brothers and it only lasted 5 turns before we both got frustrated and quit.

I played a lot of hotseat games of Heroes of Might and Magic II and III with both my brothers and none of them were ever finished.

It gets worse when people take too long to think about what to do in their turn. No matter what is done to try and fix this, it will always be slowed down by people who take too long to think.

At least in RTS and FPS, people who take too long to think are sitting ducks and you can simply blow them away (though it doesn't bring much satisfaction as it would be too easy).

The upside to turn-based multiplayer over TCP/IP / modem / Internet / PBEM is that you won't have to worry about lag slowing the game down.
                          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hey, what's wrong with 2 year PBEM games. They should implement some kind notepad into the game though, to remeber any plans etc.
                            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

You live in Wellington? You should change your name to Brrr! haha!

But anyway, I wonder what Firaxis are brewing up for multiplayer, they did say they had some new never before seen multiplayer features that would make it fun, didn't they?
                              be free

Comment

i bet those including freezing, lockups, and general bad qualities.

Oh, wait, those have been seen before.... maybe tehy will make your computer cuss at you....

Comment

Working...
                                X