I fear multiplayer could get too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fear multiplayer could get too long

I've been having massive wars lately, and I realised that one turn could last 15-30minutes!

I don't know what you have planned for multiplayer Firaxis, but I think that ctrl-selecting a group of units to attack or to fortify or to go to a desitination, would speed the game up a lot; because it gets a bit diablo (clickfest) like.

Especially when using artillary type units, it's all, shift-b drag mouse, click, repeat, repeat, repeat x10

It starts to get annoying, infact I ended up disbanding all of my artillary just coz it got too annoying.

And while I was thinking about this, I also thought it would be quite cool if you could assign a unit or a bunch of units to attack another unit, and to only attack that unit until either one of them is dead.

So if say an enemy is 20 tiles away, and you want to kill it, you could assign maybe 3 marines and a tank to travel that 20 turns and kill it. But if the enemy unit disappears under the fog, then your men will automatically stop.

And so you end up 'designing' battles, and watching them like a play. and you don't have to use the damn mouse so much.
    be free

I'm sure they'll have a time limit option like was done on CTP2. But then again I thought they'd have unit stacking in the shipped version too.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Well, that's what you get when they ignore such gameplay advances as stacking and future pathing as employed in Call To Power

In any case, multiplayer is time-consuming, particularly PBEM (play-by-e-mail), although they are still immensely gratifying, particularly when you have conquered the AI or are simply sick of their cheating

I still haven't bought Civ3 because i'm waiting for multiplayer. Okay, so i'm also waiting for the all-important computer upgrade, but that's another story

Comment

I know that Civ3 mp will take a long long time. But I still want to play Civ3 with other people!!! I have been waiting even before the release of Civ3 to be able to play other people with Civ3. I hope they release it soon!!!!!!
        Donate to the American Red Cross.
        Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

i ain't got the time to waste on Civ3 multiplay.
          ==========================
          www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Maybe some genius will code something like MMOMS (Multiplayer Master of Magic Shell, which added hotseat-based multiplayer to the single-player MoM).
            "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Dida, even if you don't buy Civ3 MP millions of people will.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: I fear multiplayer could get too long

Originally posted by Sn00py

Especially when using artillary type units, it's all, shift-b drag mouse, click, repeat, repeat, repeat x10

It starts to get annoying, infact I ended up disbanding all of my artillary just coz it got too annoying.
                Yes, there really needs to be a stack bombard command, something like ctrl-shift-B to get all the units to fire together. I like using Artillery etc., but it gets to be a real pain firing off a stack of ten or so. I suspect this will be the next beef to make the rounds.

Comment

multi-what? i'm sorry, we here at firaxis aren't familiar with that term
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I think i missed something....did Firaxis ever add any sort of stack commands, are there any at all?!?!?!

Comment

yes. hitting j will make a "goto" cursor pop up. with the newest patch, all of the UNFORTIFIED units of the selected unit's type will move there.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        Dida, even if you don't buy Civ3 MP millions of people will.
                        yo smart kid, i'm not telling you not to buy it.
                        If you are smart, you can keep your mouth shut on that.
                        ==========================
                        www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

nice answer, gotta love the maturity level on forums.

Comment

Yo dida, it's good to have a poster like you to make all the deep, thoughtful comments.
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Solution:

Play on smaller maps.
                              Anything bigger that Standard map would be UNPOPULAR in multiplayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X