Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zylka’s 95 theses on why Civilization 3 is an utter disappointment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spook42
    Let's assume using this 2 km/hour average for only daylight hours, further assumed to be twelve hours for that time of year. 24 km, or about 15 miles, per day then. Nope, that wouldn't be very impressive at all. But then it comes back --- is the cited average really valid?
    10 Days, May 14-24, 1940
    "After breaking through the weakly held Ardennes region of the Allied line, the German panzer corps raced to the English Channel."
    Battle and campaign maps of the German offensive into France and the Low Countries 1940.

Uncle Jacques on vacation can reach Dunkirk in a few hours by automobile, but the Germans took considerably longer. Whether you consider 15 miles per day to be impressive or not, the world was shocked at the speed at which the French army was decimated.
    Last edited by Zachriel; March 26, 2002, 18:47.

Comment

Is someone (Z, preferably) going to respond to korn and Ethelred, or is this thread for OT discussions and whin... er, complai.... er.... constructive criticizm only?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Zylka’s 95 theses on why Civilization 3 is an utter disappointment.

Originally posted by Zylka
        I have a pretty fancy computer, and wonder what specific system it actually does work on (without problems).
        I have an athlon 850 Mhz along with some 320 megs of memory. By todays standards I would definitely not call that a 'fancy' system, but still.... I can and do run several programs along with Civ3 such as Winamp, and I've had no problems whatsoever with 'alt+tabbing' back and forth between Civ3 and them... Civ3 has yet to crash on my computer.

Originally posted by Zylka
        Mmmm I'm not to sure of lumber as a specific resource, it seem a given when you control vast tracts of forest. Yet what the hell were they thinking of adding horses? For multiplayer, strategic resources must be an option.
        Horses may not really match oil and such as a strategic resource, but I still can't see why it wouldn't have a place in the game. The American continent didn't inhabit a single horse until the Europeans arrived. Neither did Australia if I'm not mistaken. Also, the breeding of horses is limited to the natural environment. Horses aren't exactly found in deserts, and neither would they last there or be able to travel through them. Thus, you wouldn't have found a single horse south of Sahara 500 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred

Of course bombs have sunk battleships. Not very often though for the simple reason the bombs were better spent sinking aircraft carriers. I am pretty sure the US didn't even bother planning on targeting Japanese battleships at Midway.

The point is moot on sinking battleships with bombs anyway. That will be available in the next patch.
          The point is, you can't even sink a galley with a stealth bomber. Not being able to kill land units makes sense and I hope they don't allow that w/ the next patch. Even the most devestating carpet bombings in the Gulf War required some grunts to go in and accept the surrender, but ships? Simple physics. Put enough holes in 'em and they disappear. The truly pathetic nature of this oversight is that this has been the basis for all supremacy naval strategy for the last 50+ years. By not allowing it to happen that way, not only are carriers cheapened in usefulness, but other strategies, such as maintaining a small fleet in presence supported by land based bombers also loses its punch.
          As far as patches are conserned, I fear them more than welcome them now.
          "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

All I have to say is I want icebergs in the next patch and they better be able to sink ships..

TITANIC

Comment

As a test some years ago the, the US Air Force landed a C-130 on one of our Aircraft Carriers and then the plane was launched again.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                All I have to say is I want icebergs in the next patch and they better be able to sink ships..

TITANIC
                Good one!
                "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you." No they don't! They're just nerve stapled.

i like ibble blibble

Comment

My two bits:

I definitely agree with many or the points, but it is still an excellent game. Culture is an excellent addition. It was just released half a year too early, and, as many people have mentioned, the programmers could not control that.

Resources are also excellent, though they need to be refined a bit (like do something w/horses similar to what it doen with saltpeter when you get to riflemen).

PS: How is it that Ming has been following this to keep it on topic but has done nothing about zylka's "location"???

Comment

Originally posted by bigvic

Good one!
                    Actually, the use of MINES was very important in the 19th century going on through much of the 20th. British Lord Kitchener was killed by one on a cruiser, and they were of great import in the Russo-Japanese War.

I want MINE units!

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000

PS: How is it that Ming has been following this to keep it on topic but has done nothing about zylka's "location"???
                      Ming seems to have favorites. He also seems not to have noticed that Zylka started the insults. Again, considering they were all in there when he posted it the first time.

Comment

My two bits:

You probably have a problem with my avatar as well? Perhaps the young and voluptuous princess should be taken off, civman willing.

Eagerly awaiting your response,
                        Zylka

Comment

Originally posted by Ethelred

Ming seems to have favorites. He also seems not to have noticed that Zylka started the insults. Again, considering they were all in there when he posted it the first time.
                          Ming was the one who sent me on my last vacation (of which I have just returned from) - do not toy with the idea that he favours anyone who is out of line.

And where, oh where, did I post insults? Lighten up buddy, and add something constructive.

Thanks.

Comment

There is nothing to do about his location field. TheHobbit started a thread in the community forum... feel free to check out my response.

As far as Zylka being a favorite... you might say that. He has been a big favorite of most of the mods here. So much so that we enjoy banning him on a regular basis.

On the other hand, "he started it" is a lame argument. Two wrongs don't make a right. He has been banned repeatedly for making insults, so they aren't ignored... Does anybody want the same treatment he gets????? I'll be glad to ban you too if that is what you wish.

Now stay on topic instead of just whining about unrelated matters.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ming has favorites? He is too universally criticised for that.

More like he'll shoot everybody and let God (or Markos and DanQ) sort them out.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by bigvic

The point is, you can't even sink a galley with a stealth bomber. Not being able to kill land units makes sense and I hope they don't allow that w/ the next patch. Even the most devestating carpet bombings in the Gulf War required some grunts to go in and accept the surrender, but ships? Simple physics. Put enough holes in 'em and they disappear. The truly pathetic nature of this oversight is that this has been the basis for all supremacy naval strategy for the last 50+ years. By not allowing it to happen that way, not only are carriers cheapened in usefulness, but other strategies, such as maintaining a small fleet in presence supported by land based bombers also loses its punch.
                                As far as patches are conserned, I fear them more than welcome them now.
                                Exactly. I'm sick of the ai having all of these paltry little bullsh*t wooden boats floating about my border in the modern era. If I can't destroy modern ships with bombs, at least let me bomb-slaughter those annoying galleons to free up attack moves for the rest of my navy.

And if they indeed do decide to allow bombers to kill ground units along with the aforementioned request, we'll have gone one step forward and another step backwards.

Conclusive patch advice:
                                Bombs can destroy whole ships, they have no terrain to hide in.
                                Bombs can not destroy whole armies, the human touch is needed to wipe the remnants away.

Comment

Working...
                                X