Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zylka’s 95 theses on why Civilization 3 is an utter disappointment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zylka
    Would you like me to fill in all of the missing words and punctuation in your last post? I will, if you ask nicely

Little things for little minds.

Comment

• Since you asked so nicely...

Originally posted by Ethelred

There was plenty of relevant stuff [sic]. Zylka's response was to call people newbies. [He] [s]pread it around to[o] [often]* when he was unable to rebut.

FG seems to have a grudge. This isn't the first time he has gone out of his out his way to attack me. Besides[,] I wasn't being touchy. FG is getting an education. It[']s not my fault that he refuses to learn how to flame with style and wit[,] or at least respond in a civil manner.

Soon I may give up [on] him. He may be [a] lost cause [of] a student.
      *Or "to many [others]" - author's intent not clear

Have a nice day

Comment

• Ethelred your an idiot. If you actually hang out on these boards just looking around for flames..you serouisly need to get a life.

Oh and as for your childish and incoherant posts. I dont think I need to reply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zylka

Can't believe I missed this gem

It's a fitting summation that people are laughing at you. Really though, do the two of you prance about together looking to defend firaxis against anything?
          No kidding. These guys are hardcore asskissers. Willing to defend every flawed part of this game ; like somebody is paying them.

Comment

• Well since Prince Precious is clearly unable to rebut I guess it is not suprising he has decended to this sort of childishness.

I made my point and without any rebuttal there is no sense in bothering with this thread anymore.

FG do learn try learning. You came into the thread for no reason but call people morons. You contributed nothing to it. Zylka at least some points. You only had a vocabulary shortage.

Good evening. See you on other threads.

Comment

• Huh? I came in because everywhere you go the flames are not far behind. And its pissing me off. Zylkla makes a serouis thread and all you can do is makes insults.

Oh and you keep telling me "learn learning" crap. What the hell are you talking about?

Oh and you probably need to work a little harder in english class jr.
              FG do learn try learning

Comment

• The horse is riddled with maggots - let's close this chapter

Comment

• No kidding. These guys are hardcore asskissers. Willing to defend every flawed part of this game ; like somebody is paying them.
                  No "asskissing" here. It's just that it appears to me that a lot of these types of posts seem to imply, or directly state, that I'm an imbecile for liking the game. I don't exactly take to that at all... Of course, I'm a fairly casual gamer, so I'm not too up in arms about the odd bug or exploitation... I've had this game for a fairly long time, and it's only crashed once, and after I was messing around with the rules and such...

On a different note:

LOL, you grew up in Parksville?! I almost feel sorry for you... hehe.
                  "Intelligence in chains loses in lucidity what it gains in intensity." -Albert Camus

Comment

• Faded Glory earned himself 2 days off...

You would think that after a while, the message would get through.

Who want's to be next?
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• You know a discussion has reached the bottom when both sides starts to argue over spelling, grammar and potential insults...

Comment

• One side did that.

Quit trying to pull me back in. I left since it was obvious that the debate had been evaded by its originator.

I NEVER argue over anyones spelling or grammer. I may ask for clarification. My spelling is awfull and I am not a hypocrite.

All right sometimes I take advantage of a mispelling if I can make a funny. It has to change to meaning of the word for me to do that.

I don't worry about potential insults either. There are enough real ones to go around for everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by faded glory

No kidding. These guys are hardcore asskissers. Willing to defend every flawed part of this game ; like somebody is paying them.
                          Like Firaxis, perhaps??

I've long ago thought Firaxis had shills on the forums defending their slapped together game, just as they likely find ways to pay off their flacks in the Computer Gaming world who incrediby give Civ III glowing (and asinine) reviews.

Comment

• I've only read a little bit of the first page and all of this last page, and I only have one thing to say.......

Zylka, your avatars are great!

Ok, I guess I better actually add something useful to this thread.

Yes, I find that blind optimism of the game to be sick. How can one possibly feel that this game has no flaws and must have it's greatness defended? On the other hand, I find the total denial of optimism sick, as well. How can one possibly feel that this game has no fun features and must be brought down? Zylka, FG, and Ethelred, you all fall under one of those two spectrums, and I think we all know under which particular one. While, Zylka, you did mention a few nice aspects of Civ3 you mentioned them in a very sarcastic way, which deterriated the credibility of your post. Elthered, IIRC, it was you who had a reply for every one of Zylka's theses. Having a response of defense for Civ3 on every one of your replies to a theses, also, discredited your post. Neither one of you are right, neither one of you are wrong, both of you are right and wrong. So in all reality there won't be a concluding outcome on this discussion until both of you realize there is a spectrum in the middle about Civ3.

For myself I found myself leaning more towards 'Zylka's' spectrum during the early post-days of Civ3's release. Since then the relevance of caring about the game has diminished, and I'm now mostly in the 'middle' spectrum. However, nothing can ever change the most dissapointing game for me ever being Civ3. Now where the blame for that should fall is another issue.

However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reprisal

LOL, you grew up in Parksville?! I almost feel sorry for you... hehe.
                              Well there and Vancouver, the majority of my life in Calgary...

Parksville was a quaint little spot back when we lived there, I've heard it has had a mini tourist boom since then. So... um... do they still have the big beach?

Oh oh and the hovercraft! That thing was so cool

Comment

• Elthered, IIRC, it was you who had a reply for every one of Zylka's theses.
                                Yes it was me. You apparently didn't read it. Naughty to critisize what you didn't read.

Having a response of defense for Civ3 on every one of your replies to a theses, also, discredited your post.
                                Since that is a utterlly false claim and since you are trying to or at least pretending to be evenhanded I suspect you didn't actually read the entire thing. Even Zylka noticed that I agreed with him on some.

Neither one of you are right,
                                How do you know since you said I defended Firaxis on all 66 points and I didn't. As far as I can tell I was correct on nearly all points. I think Zylka might have managed to show error in one. He only touched the first 33 of the remarks. So maybe I made more mistakes.

So in all reality there won't be a concluding outcome on this discussion until both of you realize there is a spectrum in the middle about Civ3.
                                Of course there is. I am a member of it. The group that plays and likes the game but knows it could use improvement.

Oddly Zylka seems to actually play the game so I guess he is in the self-flaggelation group.

However, nothing can ever change the most dissapointing game for me ever being Civ3.
                                I guess you haven't played a lot of games. Or were very carefull aobut which you bought.

Ever play Ascendency? It looks good. It sounds good. It sucks you in. Then it turns to garbage when you figure out the game itself is lousy. The developers listened to the fans. They developed a patch. The patch said "UP YOURS YOU WHINEY TWITS". All the patch did was make the all the AI civs into psychopathic idiots instead of reasonable idiots.

At least the game was bug free. If you don't count the lack of inteligence by the AI that was supposed to be so great.

I am sure I have bought more disapointing games. I did get a fair amount of use out of that one till I noticed it didn't improve on higher levels and that there was no tech to speed up movement to something remotely reasonable. I just forget about the disapointing ones. Like Alpha Centauri.

Actually I haven't given Alpha Centauri a chance to disapoint me. I was bugged by the idea of anyone calling the world they lived on Planet. I figured that was so stupid what other stupidities were going on. Like the living planet garbage. That sort of stuff was a bit too much of a strain on my willingness to suspend disbelief.

I hear the game itself is quite good. Still it has that intelligent planet nonsense. Planets don't breed so they can't evolve. Inteligence isn't going to spring out of nothing for no reason. Without competition there is no evolution. So the box is setting within reach but reading the manual is as far as I have ever gone with it.

But I don't go around complaining about it. Thats the first I have ever mentioned it here. Possibly the last.

Comment

Working...
                                X