Okay, I lied, but this is a POSITIVE THREAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, I lied, but this is a POSITIVE THREAD

Having been fried for never making a positive contribution by certain rabid elements here...I thought I would float an idea that I think would improve the game.

This is something that should be doable for multiplay with the editor but I would like to see a SP option for it.

JIMMYTRICK'S GREAT IDEA: Rework the map creation routines to allow a colonization map wherein 25-33% of the map is located accross ocean tiles from the remaining land mass which will contain all of the starting civs. Distribute resources per normal. This will add a great deal to the game as the race to discover and exploit the new world will be critical. Also, the AI seems to already be programed in such a way that it will expand appropriately.

The only other thing is to rework the tech tree so that frigates, privateers and galleons come in at least 2/3s of an age (preferably more) than ironclads, be sure the explorer comes in at the right time, and boy, you will be cooking now.

jt

Yes... You Lied. But I won't hold that against you
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Its not as if I had any credibility to start with.

Comment

Another tweak you would need, make the Great Lighthouse a small wonder to prevent one civ from being able to exploit the new world far in advance of the others. Might have to tweak the AI a bit on building that one.

Comment

I like it. CivIII's resource system just begs for a colonization scenario. The AI usually finds small islands in the middle of nowhere much better than I do, but that's probably because I don't focus on it. I still have suspicions of AI "super galleys" but I can deal with that. Galleons and Frigates will be crucial for once, as will Magellan's.

I would, however, settle for a proper editor, so that people can then create things like this w/set starting locations. That would be even more fun.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I would also like to see ocean squares split into two types, good and bad weather zones...the idea being to have map generated shipping lanes that are narrowly defined. Then, to block trade you would only have to find ocean choke points and send naval units out, great for privateering and later a setting for large naval actions...suddenly navies count and you might have a reason to build carriers and load planes for gosh sake.

Comment

A great idea for a game. Shouln't it be do-able now? Use Marla's map and dont use any North or South American civs. Tournament #7?
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Arrian,

I don't think the AI has super galleys. I had a game where I was on a continent with one other civ. I was on the north end and there were three islands to the north. I expanded up that was an watched closely. None of the AI ships from other continents showed up until they had the tech. The civ on the southern end of my continent tried like heck to get there, but since I had the Lighthouse and could anchor ships in sea tiles, I would use a trio of galleys to block the two coast and first sea tile so that the AI could not get around it without ending its turn on a sea square and risk sinking.

I would watch the AI sail up the coast, then set up the block, and then the AI would turn around next time and sail home. If I moved out of the blocking position it would turn around and try to get to those islands. It was like I had the AI on a string.

So, Soren has taught the AI to find islands, calculate a legal path, and follow it. That's a big improvement in AI from previous games and I don't think it cheats in this manner.

jt

Comment

Nice idea, but the AI would have to be reworked a bit : on Imperialism map (which is excellent), as soon as I have navigation, settling the new world becomes my top priority, and I send caravels completely filled with settlers (without troops), while the AI sends a ship with one settler and one unit to protect it, and becomes late in the colonization race.
                  Maybe modifying the AI when it comes to colonizing other continents will help making the Japs and the Brits better on Marla's ?
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

JT, great idea.
                    Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Never

Never say never.

Comment

This is an example of a good, constructive post. I like the idea.
                        "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

This is the kind of change that Firaxis needs to make, rather than depending on mods, for the reason Spiffor noted (thanks btw, didn't know about the Imperialism map).

If you change the game without being able to tweak the AI you often end up with something less than you had in the first place.

So, I don't pay much attention to mods until patching is done, or in this case, expansion as well.

The exception of course is multiplay where AI is not such a problem. Maybe we will get that someday.

Comment

Nationalist, you are supposed to have me on ignore you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              I like it. CivIII's resource system just begs for a colonization scenario. The AI usually finds small islands in the middle of nowhere much better than I do, but that's probably because I don't focus on it. I still have suspicions of AI "super galleys" but I can deal with that.
                              -Arrian
                              There are two reasons I don't believe in the "super galley"
                              1) I have been on an untouchable Island before. I built the GL and was the only one capable of traveling to and from my Island.
                              2) I have bought maps from the AI and seen failed search attempts.

The AI will send galleys on suicide missions to look for more land. I do it when I know there is land, and the AI does it (I'm not sure what tiggers it). You have a chance of surviving (not sure on %) so if you send several galleys you will make it eventually.

This does sound like a cool scenario. The 1st civ to set-up a Palace or FP would have a huge advantage.

Comment

Working...
                              X