Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about:

Santiago de Chile (Chile)
    around 5.000.000 pop. - don't remember what height!

Quito (Ecuador)
    3000 meters - over 1.000.000 pop.

Saluti
    A man who has not been in Italy, is always conscious of an inferiority. -Samuel Johnson- (1709-84), English author
    I love the language, that soft bastard Latin,/Which melts like kisses from a female mouth,/And sounds as if it should be writ on satin/With syllables which breathe of the sweet South.-Lord Byron- (1788-1824), English poet.
    Lump the whole thing! Say that the Creator made Italy from designs by Michael Angelo! -Mark Twain- (1835-1910), U.S. author.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny
      The Chicago River is in Chicago and the Menomonee River is in Milwaukee. The Coosa river is about 10-15 miles SE of Birmingham. The Kentucky river is about 25 miles south of Lexington and about 25 miles west of it.

However, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia is in a desert and there isn't a river for quite a long way. Riyadh population: 666,840.
      Riyadh is an interesting case:
      It is situated on a high plateau in the midst of Wadi Hanifah, Wadi Aysan, and Wadi al-Batha

No doubt the location was chosen with this in mind. A wadi is the bed or valley of a stream in regions of southwestern Asia and northern Africa that is usually dry except during the rainy season and that often forms an oasis

Birmingham is the seat of Jefferson county, a port of entry in the Mobile customs district, Mobile being a river port.

Rivers are important for cities, even more so in real life than in Civ.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny

The Chicago River is in Chicago .
        ...but is not really a river. It is only a short loop of "canal", IIRC, built as a sewage outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel
          Rivers are important for cities, even more so in real life than in Civ.
          Then why aren't there more rivers in civ? Even if they only represent large rivers, there should still be more.

As for the Chicago River, it is a canal, but the Illinois/Des Planes river that it connects to is only about 15 miles west of the city. So, even before the canal was built, there was still a river for irrigation and trade. (There is also Lake Michigan for trading purposes.)

By the way, Reno, Nevada has no river, IIRC. Neither does Carson City.

Comment

ARGH!

anyone of you talking about rivers read the title of the thread?!
            I don't conquer -
            I obliterate

Comment

after some changes to my game i had an army with 6 panzer tanks with an attack of 40 each and defnec of 15 each and i lost to 2 musketmen!!!!!!! ****ING BULL!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH
              Man causes all problems. No man, no problems. - Stalin

Comment

Tanks in wooden hulled boats.
                Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Me: "Would you care to offer something in exchange for Fission?
                  Them: "How about 1 Gold?"
                  Me: "Nevermind."
                  "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

Working...
                  X