Funny/ stupid mishaps of Civ III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny/ stupid mishaps of Civ III

I would like everyone to post what they find stupid or just silly in civ III...

I'll start this by...

Irrigating a square with URANIUM and working it...
    I don't conquer -
    I obliterate

You can build Aircraft Carriers, without necessarily having previously acquired the technology for Flight.
    "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

men with spears knocking out my tank

whoops you all heard that one.

How about planes not being able to sink ships?

heard that one too I suppose

How about placing a mine on a flat field of grass?

How about not being able to irrigate hills even after electricity?

How about not being able to build cities on mountains?

How about the lack of glaciers and swamps. Do we not have swamp on earth?

why do flood plains look like desert?

Whats with the lack of energy resources? Energy should play a crucial role in the modern age.

What's with the lack of coastal city bonus'. Trade should be doubled (fixable though)

Why do my Iroquios know how to ride horses in ancient times?

Why are the Vikings absent?

Why are the English so weak?

I could go on and on

yes most of those arguments are weak. I just posted them because I know someone will dissect my post. Go ahead.

Comment

Right, here goes:

Originally posted by Dissident

Burrowing down?

How about not being able to irrigate hills even after electricity?
        Why would you need electricity to irrigate hills? You just make sawahs (sp?)

Never tried

How about the lack of glaciers and swamps. Do we not have swamp on earth?
        Little point in adding new graphics and code if there is no game mechanic attached. Besides limiting the number of diff. tiles keeps the game simpler, which I think was one of the goals of Civ3.

why do flood plains look like desert?
        A cunning disguise? It is odd though.

Whats with the lack of energy resources? Energy should play a crucial role in the modern age.
        What's with nuclear energy getting a bad rap. Nuc. energy is great!

What's with the lack of coastal city bonus'. Trade should be doubled (fixable though)
        Should it?

Why do my Iroquios know how to ride horses in ancient times?
        They developed it and because unlike on this Earth, on your map they have access to horses.

Why are the Vikings absent?
        They're off pillaging.

Why are the English so weak?
        Realism?

Robert
        A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

We'll have less of that Cheek Kailhun, I'll have you know that the ENGLISH empire was the greatest to EVER Rule this Earth.

As for Irrigating Hills and City's on Mountings-

What i find Crazy about Civ III - No Bananas!
          Up The Millers

Comment

I think we had this discussion before, but ROTHY what does "greatest" and "rule" mean?
            ...eh yes and btw. "EVER"?

Comment

I cant NOT start the SpaceShip!

Stealth Fighter are useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolleck
                I cant NOT start the SpaceShip!

Stealth Fighter are useless.
                Many of the later units are useless. They might be more useful on higher difficulties but I'd never live long enough to find out.
                The tank's about the last useful unit there is. After that they're nice and save you time, but it's not as if you need them.
                Hm, I might be a little confused as to what comes later (tech tree wise). Artillery, bomber and tank I want and use. After that it's just icing on the cake.

Robert
                A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

It takes a modern battleship up to 20 years to go around the world. While a marine can go across North American in an instant of time with the aid of railroads.

Stleath Bombers can be put on aircraft carries.

Units are magicly transpported to your captial when you give anther country a city that belongs too you, even when you still have galleys. Anther thing that happens too the city which you gave to the other country is now full with that countries nationality, the people in the city were magicly transformed into anther nationality. A new defending unit also magicly appears.

All I could come up with so far.
                  Donate to the American Red Cross.
                  Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    I have two things to say: first, a plain/grassland tile represents the highest ratio of that kind of land in that square. You would not expect any reasonable strech of land to be perfectly flat (except for most of Low Countries -Holland, Belgium- but that is a special case, since most of the space is landfill.

Second, there is nothing that stops you from mining on flatlands. Might I remind you that Middle Eastern oil fields, in the middle of desert, burrow down deep into the ground?

[/QUOTE]
                    Each of the cities in Civ represent a metropolis. Name me one in mountains.

Does "coal", "oil" and "uranium" ring a bell?

Comment

Originally posted by Altuar

Each of the cities in Civ represent a metropolis. Name me one in
                      mountains
                      Denver, Colorado
                      Santa Fe, New Mexico
                      La Paz, Bolivia

Thats three.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Dienstag
                        You can build Aircraft Carriers, without necessarily having previously acquired the technology for Flight.
                        My friend called this a "weird John peeve."

Comment

More weird stuff I though of:

Wars can last hunders even thousands of years.

It takes hunders of years just to build a temple or library.

Takes hunders of years to train spearmen.

Nations who are in the Modern age still have spearmen and send them to fight Modern Armor.

A nation the size of Russia and with millions of people can get enough oil form one single source, and when this single source of oil is gone it can still use Modern Armor and bombers.

Culture is just a tally of points.

A nation has one leader who is immoratal and rules over the nation in the same way and controlls everything for 6000 years, no matter what form of government that nation has.

A leader that is created by and elitle unit can live for thousands of years.

Units in the feild dont need supplies.

Bye the way I am just playing along with the starter of this thread and I am just joking. I enjoy Civ3 alot and play it alot as well.
                          Donate to the American Red Cross.
                          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Much of Civ III is silly, and illogical.

I find particularly stupid suddenly finding a "new source of iron" inside the city itself. Perhaps directly under the colosseum?!

Comment

you are the immortal leader of a primitive civ that doesn't even know how to fashion clay pots, yet you can oversee everything in your empire from what appears to be a dirigible floating in the sky - and then issue commands to everyone that are instantly obeyed! either you're telepathic, or you have some kind of super megaphone.

silly, but totally essential. I can't see how you'd play this game without making that jump to omniscience.

-edit-
                              btw. omniscience -> all-knowing, not all science.
                              -end edit-
                              Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                              Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                              Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                              Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Working...
                              X