I challenge you to find...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I challenge you to find...

An a game that has an active online community, where the boards do NOT get rants and complaints similar to those seen here.

You wont find it, but good luck trying. A few good examples of recently published games where this is the case would be Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot and offcourse Civilization III.

No game can live up to the hype created by the fans themselves.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

UMMM.........................

HMMM. I beleive the HYPE was created by Firaxis on thier web sit before Civ3 was released and Infogrames on thier advertisments.

I for one believed the HYPE and got the Special Edtion. What highway robbery.

HMM. Lets have a poll here. Who did the Hyping? The company or the fans?

I believe it was the companies as I said before. Us fans were just dying for Civ3 to come out with the promises of what to come. I know everything was said about what it came and not came with or what it has and dosnt had.

So who was it.

Expatriate what is your opnion?

Davor

Comment

My point here is that most of the things you see people complaining about are thing they only complain about because someone else brought it to their attention.

If you had played Civ III without ever read anyone else rant and complain about it, you would have been happy.

But why not take up my challenge instead of blaming Firaxis? You wont find that holy grail of perfect gaming anywhere, because once there is an online community the unhappiness is contagious.
      Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Comment

It's just normal human psychology for people to jump on the bandwagon, especially if it is something negative. You see a lot of that here and in other forums. Your point is well taken.

BTW Yolky, it's not hype, it's marketing. I believe they delivered on all their promises.
        Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

They never said it would be SP only.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            They never said it would be SP only.

Umm... Yes they did. More than a month before the released the game. It was major news on any of the Civ sites
            Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Again I will not go into what was promised and what wasn't.

If i never notice any threads I still would be P'D OFF since I can't have starting locations for any Civs in the editor, as an example.(lets not get into that again its been hashed again and again) but I do see you point though.

I am having fun with the game but miss my diplomats and other stealth units ala CtP2.

Having fun and hope you are too.

Davor

Comment

If you actually did read this board over the summer then you would know that Firaxis made many promises that failed to come true. You may call them marketing schemes, which is true to some extent, but I would like to call them blatant lies.
                However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I can only speak for myself, but I played the game through a couple times before I even read any of these posts. So I must disagree completely with Expatriate. The fact that people complain could probably be interperted more productively as meaning that game deign needs to be better, not that the public should expect less.

People always complain about their government, does this mean the government should ignore those complaints? Would they stop complaining if they didn't hear it from someone else first? No and no. Same principle, just exaggerated.
                  I can throw a hundred pound walrus right through the wall!

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                    If you actually did read this board over the summer then you would know that Firaxis made many promises that failed to come true. You may call them marketing schemes, which is true to some extent, but I would like to call them blatant lies.
                    Maybe broken promises at worst. Bad marketing sure. They souldn't have told ungratefull spoiled brats anything.

BTW, I have been here since 1999. I haven't posted much in the past, but I can't stand to sit by while the negative people have nothing better to do than post their lies. How bout some honesty from yourself before riping on a poor helpless company.
                    Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

I got the hype from, my cuzin
                      he showed me his diety american in future age and i just said, wow!!!
                      Resources Are A *****!!!

Comment

The Europa Universalis boards lack virtually ANY of the rants you see here. And when the occasional rants shows up, the developers are usually quick to address the concerns in an open, public and consistent way.

And then for some mysterious reason, the rants subside and productive talk begins. Coincidence? Hmmm....
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Europa Universalis.

Here's another. Space Empires 4. Also widely and publically supported by its developers.

And then we have Poly. Gee...
                          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

TRUE DAT.

The EU forums don't have much flames at all. And when somebody shows up complaining about how the game crashes or how bad the AI is, the community makes fun of them and tells them to calm down.

The Sissyfight boards only allow rants and flames in one forum. There are a few cranks who stick around to complain about the game but not many.
                            Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

The EU forums don't have much flames at all. And when somebody shows up complaining about how the game crashes or how bad the AI is, the community makes fun of them and tells them to calm down.
                              Is this support for us whiners of whiners?
                              Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Working...
                              X