Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the scenario community given up on Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the scenario community given up on Civ3?

Some time ago, there was a thread from the scenario community enumerating their needs. As I recall, it was a long and prominent thread to which, of course, Firaxis never responded. I don't think I've seen anything since.

I'm wondering whether any of you are still around, whether you've actually heard anything from Firaxis, and what your current status might be.

Thanks.
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

No response was received, despite repeated requests for one, including some behind the scenes diplomacy by Mark G. We're still around, mostly still working with Civ2. Some of us prefer Test of Time, though it's fairly controversial. Personally, I've given up on Civ3. I did play a couple of games, but found it quite tedious. I don't think it will have much staying power. As for Firaxis, they've lost at least one customer,and probably many more.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

no "official response" was given except from jeff morris and dan magaha saying in all sorts of variations and occasions(forums, chat) that the intention of firaxis to improve mod and scenario capabilties

but of course no official response was given...
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Currently, I still make scns for Civ2, may be also for ToT some day. I´ve only done some graphical changes for Civ3 so far.

I like Civ3 as game, but now since the editor lacks so many things, scns on the same quality level as for Civ2 are impossible. If Firaxis gives us at least the most essential features I´m pretty sure that I´ll make a new try for a Civ3 scn...
        Blah

Comment

I have been modding for many a game; I like creating much more than playing. So far I've only done one Civ3 map - and it was so tedious to make it with the tools currently available that I won't be doing another any time soon unless Firaxis clean up their act.

I am back to playing with my beta-tester scenario editor for AoW2. That game is going to be huge, let me tell you!

But as to your starting question; isn't it obvious? Take a look in the creation forums and you'll see that nothing much new has happened for weeks. (Although that may be an Apolyton effect - I uploaded my map both here and over at Civfanatics and while it's happy and kicking over there, it just disappeared from Poly. No explanation given. Oh well.)
          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by moominparatrooper
            (Although that may be an Apolyton effect - I uploaded my map both here and over at Civfanatics and while it's happy and kicking over there, it just disappeared from Poly. No explanation given. Oh well.)
            Well, the Apolyton server problems have literally kept me off the boards here for weeks, during which time I've been playing on the official MOO3 board instead.

Comment

In fairness to Apolyton, two things: (1) CivFanatics is so saturated with ebullient teeny-boppers infatuated with Civ3 that they are likely to suck up pretty much whatever you put out there, and (2) it looks like the server problems have, through no fault of Apolyton, truncated quite a few threads, including one of my own.

With respect to the modders, my only regret is my own ignorance when they were actively pleading their case. Had I the chance to do it over, I would be supportive of their cause. But I guess we live and learn.
              "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Originally posted by Libertarian
                In fairness to Apolyton, two things: (1) CivFanatics is so saturated with ebullient teeny-boppers infatuated with Civ3 that they are likely to suck up pretty much whatever you put out there,
                I, too, find the discussions and participants here at Poly more interesting. But surely stereotyping is uncalled for? There are good people and great strats over at CF too, the general noise level is just higher.

and (2) it looks like the server problems have, through no fault of Apolyton, truncated quite a few threads, including one of my own.
                I realise that it's not exactly Polys fault, but it sure isn't mine either, and posting anything with readme files, zips and file attachments is enough busy work that I won't do it again - it's not as if anybody pays me for the stuff.

In some ways, it's like the distinction between Firaxis and Infogrames - the current state of Civ3 is probably more Infogrames' fault than Firaxis', but as a consumer I don't really care. I just note that the game does not deliver upon its promise and move on.

My personal targets are now set for Moo3 and AoW2. May they be great.
                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

CivFanatics isn't so bad. After all, it lead me here!

(I haven't been there in a while either, which should give you a clear idea of which forum I favor.)

Comment

Libertarian

I remember reading more than a few "suck up to Firaxis" threads BY you just after the release of civ3 until you found some other people here to emulate...unfortuantly some of your trash was deposited in civfanatics.

Comment

Some evidence...quoting Libertarian...

" guess what amazed me, being a newbie here (but not to Civ) was that I started lurking about a month ago, trying to find out what would be in the new Civ that someone bragged about at Straight Dope.

So, I came here and followed things every day. The excitement was tremendous. The home page linked to a list of features that grew and grew by leaps and bounds practically every day. These were incredible things that everybody was really gah-gah over.

Firaxis failed to deliver on NONE of it. (Not counting a couple of bugs, like for air defense.) And all of a sudden, just a couple of days after release, the bi+chers and moaners hit the boards with a vengeance. And you think THIS is bad, you should see the snobs at Apolyton. Suddenly Sid is the devil, and all the good people at Firaxis are deliberate con men who set out to defraud and mug us.

Yes, constructive criticism is a good thing, and something that Firaxis would probably appreciate. But it doesn't take a whole lot of empathy to see that they might resent the unbelievable mob mentality that has taken hold here. People are saying they hate the game. Good lord, that's outrageous.

We were told the game was very different. We licked our chops at the thought of playing this new way. Instead, we loaded up the game, threw out everything we had discussed for the past month, and tried to play it like Civ2. Beaten badly, we came back here and whined like babies.

Yes, there are some bugs. But good heavens, how 'bout some perspective here? Let he among us who has written a bug-free non-trivial piece of software cast the first stone."

The link to the thread:
                      Ok, now I'm whining about those that are whining about those that whine about the game!:confused: Seriously, if you are one of those blasting those who have complaints - many of them quite legit - chill!!! Geez, a lot of these people are probably eating Top Ramen for the next two weeks...

So HOW THE HELL does this guy have the cheek to say "In fairness to Apolyton, two things: (1) CivFanatics is so saturated with ebullient teeny-boppers infatuated with Civ3 that they are likely to suck up pretty much whatever you put out there"...THAT IS YOU, THAT YOU SPEAK OF...YOU say there are whiners at civfanatics THAT IS NOT EBULLIENT TEENY-BOPPERS.

You hate yourself.

P.S There is plenty MORE of this...libertarian is two faced and usually wrong.

Thread containing Libertarian logic concerning the warrior beating a tank...
                      ok i am not here to rag on civ 3 cause i love the game but i just want to know like what you think is dumb in the civ3 game and i got one for you guys. it is dumb how a warrior yes a warrior can defeat a mech infintry tank i mean come on in real life it would have no chance and theres other...

Jeez.
                      Last edited by kittenOFchaos; January 5, 2002, 12:01.

Comment

My favorite part of my first quote of Libertarian was this:

"And you think THIS is bad, you should see the snobs at Apolyton"

Comment

Well, it may be some of us are just beginning to tweak with the editor. I finally figured out how change the rules on the editor and I've started playing with the map. I haven't come up with anything that is postable, but I'm sure as time passes there will be those who will.

Meanwhile I find myself enjoying the game more and more as I play it and get to know it.

I find I like all the versions so far, each for different reasons. I've won by culture and diplomacy on Civ III and it was a hoot.

Anyhow, my two cents.

Katrina

Comment

I remember battling with Lib a bit here, but I'll grant him a reprieve. Hell, I'll grant anyone a reprieve who has finally seen the light.

Methinks he was simply blinded by his expectations and finally realized what a tedious poorly implemented cluster yank Civ3 turned out to be... that and he didn't like the utter lack of responsiveness from Firaxis about the game.

Venger

Comment

Personally,
                              I've decided to take a wait and see attitude on scenario making. Clearly there's not a whole lot that can be done now, and a lot of what can be done now has to be done "the hard way". For instance, making new unit graphics is possible, but just barely. We'll see what happens with the next patch: Firaxis says they're working on making the game more editable; perhaps they will.

Comment

Working...
                              X