Top 10 Fun-Killers in Civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll Format Please

Please allow us to choose from your 10 what we most agree with.

It's called POLL and then you could see what other people think....

Just kidding.
    Castle Wolfenstein or Civilization 3? So little time...

Comment

Nice list, but......

Lib,

Nice list. Agree with all except Stacked Movement.

I would rather see it implemented as follows: New worker type units.

1 Work Crew = 5 Workers (Needs The Corporation, 3 Pop Points)

1 Engineer = 10 Workers (Needs Computers, 5 Pop Points)

1 Civil Planner = Advanced Settler (Needs Computers, 4 Pop Points, Creates a Pop 3 City with Basic Improvements)

Cavalier

Comment

Originally posted by mattbolas

It just is not realistic for the production of units to depend on
        the simulation model that Fireaxis has designed. In real life, resources are not as big of a problem as the game simulates.
        Ignoring the gameplay vs. realism argument, are you serious? The world's 2nd largest (US) military fought the 4th largest (Iraq) military in the world to protect oil. Whole nations have been conquered throughout history to obtain access to rare resources. That's what the whole European colonial period was about.

Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

Another potential purpose is if you want two "do something" techs but you don't want to tailor the costs. If all you have is two "do something" techs, you can make them both cost a lot, or you can make them both cost moderate amounts, but you can';t make the first one (whichever the player chooses) cost a lot and the second one cost a little. With an expensive "do nothing" tech as prereq to two cheap "do something" techs, whever one the player happens to pick first is effectively expensive because he had to research the prereq "do nothing" tech first, but the second one is cheap because you already have the expensive "do nothing" prereq. I hope tht make sense. What it boils down to is flexibility in tech tree design.
        That's a really good point.

Off topic reply:

Originally posted by Kolyana

How did this one end up? Did you continue to chew him out until his kid burst into tears and he threw his wallet at you in an attempt to fend off the hostilities?
        He made like he was going to start a fight about it. I walked away. There was never any chewing out. I just pointed it was a bad idea to bring a kid to "Training Day." He actually had three kids with him.

Comment

Re: Nice list, but......

Originally posted by Cavalier_13
          Lib,

Nice list. Agree with all except Stacked Movement.

I would rather see it implemented as follows: New worker type units.

1 Work Crew = 5 Workers (Needs The Corporation, 3 Pop Points)

1 Engineer = 10 Workers (Needs Computers, 5 Pop Points)

1 Civil Planner = Advanced Settler (Needs Computers, 4 Pop Points, Creates a Pop 3 City with Basic Improvements)

Cavalier
          How would they differ? Just faster? If you're an industrious civ in a democracy post-Replacement Parts, your workers are already going plenty fast. To be a good tradeoff, an engineer would have to work 10x as fast, but with a worker finishing a project alone taking only, say 2 turns, most of that advantage would be wasted. Clearing jungle takes a pre-Replacement Parts, non-Industrious, non-Democratic worker 24 turns. Changing that to a work crew makes it 5 turns. Ok. But what about after RP, as an industrious civ, in a democracy? it will take 4 turns. An engineer wouldn't be worth it; 4 workers could do that in a turn and it'd be cheaper (not to mention that you'd have workers around from before). Now, the Civil Planner being able to create a city with basic improvements is an interesting idea, but I think the answer to the worker problem is better, more configurable automation.

Comment

Someone should make a .BIC map file for you that is customized to address most of these problems...

The required natural resources would be removed for all units. Corruption would be decreased for most buildings, etc, etc.

Unit activation and group selection isn't present in any Civ game to date, so what's to do?

Enjoy!
            Castle Wolfenstein or Civilization 3? So little time...

Comment

Re: Re: Nice list, but......

Originally posted by sophist

How would they differ? Just faster? If you're an industrious civ in a democracy post-Replacement Parts, your workers are already going plenty fast. To be a good tradeoff, an engineer would have to work 10x as fast, but with a worker finishing a project alone taking only, say 2 turns, most of that advantage would be wasted. Clearing jungle takes a pre-Replacement Parts, non-Industrious, non-Democratic worker 24 turns. Changing that to a work crew makes it 5 turns. Ok. But what about after RP, as an industrious civ, in a democracy? it will take 4 turns. An engineer wouldn't be worth it; 4 workers could do that in a turn and it'd be cheaper (not to mention that you'd have workers around from before). Now, the Civil Planner being able to create a city with basic improvements is an interesting idea, but I think the answer to the worker problem is better, more configurable automation.
              I would agree with you, but that is assuming you are playing in a Democracy. What about players and AI that play under a different system?

My thought was that the Work Crew could be the basic unit you'd build in the later game to replace the 3 and 4 workers you place to clear jungle, build railroads in mountains, mines, etc. The Engineer would be used sparingly but would guarantee that you could build just about anything in 1 square in 1 turn.

Was just an idea, though.

Cavalier

Comment

Ugh, I've had the game since release day, and I just played my first game into the modern era. I usually quit 3/4 of the way thru industrial.

The modern era flat out sucks. It takes forever between turns, and it is even worse when you automate the workers to clean up pollution, and watch the computer move them around for minutes at a time.

I love the huge map concept, but with 8 civs taking 3-4 minutes between turns in 1786 is NOT fun.

It still has the "one more turn" hook, but for different reasons. In Civ and Civ2, I always ended my turn with a smile, and I was back at it seconds later. Now I hate when my turn is done, and it takes so long I've forgotten half of what I planned to do a few MINUTES earlier.

Your list is OK, but the first thing they should work on is the engine. On a brand new computer with all of the bells and whistles, it should not take this long. The wait is what is tedious, not moving 100+ workers around.

Comment

Working...
                X