This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v1.16f: Issues? Bugs? This is the thread

Hey guys. We're trying to track down any problems that are new to v1.16f (the second one) and things listed in the readme.txt that don't work. We already know about the title boxes drawing on advisor screens for resolutions higher than 1024x768 and workers on automation not piling on like they used to.

If you're having a problem, please uninstall the patch, uninstall the game, and reinstall both and see if the problem persists. v1.07f Saves load in v1.16f, but if the weirdness vanishes if you start a fresh v1.16f game, chalk it up to a version problem.

Thanks.

Jeff

if i go into the science advisor screen,and hit esc (2 times-one for quitting the science advisor screen,second to bring the quit game menu) and clicking on "yes immediately" option on the menu
    the game always crashes
    the error im getting is:

CIVILIZATION3 caused an invalid page fault in
    module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 017f:005176a1.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000001 CS=017f EIP=005176a1 EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=005d1cc0 SS=0187 ESP=00abfafc EBP=00000000
    ECX=0132a62c DS=0187 ESI=00861b70 FS=0eef
    EDX=0087b0b8 ES=0187 EDI=00000003 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    ff 10 c7 86 ac 26 00 00 00 00 00 00 8b 86 c8 34
    Stack dump:
    00000003 005d2248 00453226 00005417 005eaac8 00000360 00000480 005d1cc0 004726d9 00006027 004ec6f6 00000480 00000360 0000e000 00000000 00000000

another thing that bothers me a lot is the shadow under the population number,its just dosent fit on the overall clean graphics of the game.. can i make it go away??
    thanx

using win98se,gforce2mx,latest nvidia drivers,dx8,intel p3 800mhz,256ram.

Comment

The automated workers using shift-a seem to work ok (but i hate how they will start working useless land when the city they are next to is done, but another further away still has stuff to do.). I do have problems getting units to stack with pollution cleanup i.e. shift-p.

If you guys are going to fix this, I really wish the units would stay on cleanup indefintely and not go back to 'normal' once they finish. Its very repetitive.

X

Comment

movement is real slow now..

when using shift-P

it can take more than 11 seconds for a worker to travel across a large map. (about 1+ second per map scroll).
        It takes the same huge time with show auto moves off or on. ( i use a nvidia geoforce 2 and had no probs before patch. )

-------------
        Also..as huge commie empire, i now lose 1300 in income[versus pre-patch].
        I think the flat tax unfairly gouges on this scale. i could be wrong. Anyway, i thought the patch was supposed to lower corruption).

Keep up the great work tho.

hi

Comment

Population Number

The 1.16f shadows on the population number of each city look horrendous!
          Please remove them, the visual impression of the game heavily suffers under this weird addition.

Regards,
          Dwarf Lord

edit: wrong signature
          Last edited by Dwarf Lord; December 10, 2001, 14:25.

Comment

Here a small sceenshot:
            Attached Files

Comment

When adding units to the build queue, and the preference to build last build unit is checked, the game ignores the queue order. (Exaple: queued 2 warriors and a settler. when the warriors are done, it asks me if i want to build another warrior.) Shouldn't the queue take precedence? Actually, shouldn't the queue negate the need to tell me when it built something and just tell me when the last item is completed? I could always remove items from the queue before they are all finished.

Rob

Comment

I no longer have the option to occupy a conquered city. It always destroys the city. This has only happened after I installed the patch. Is there an order that causes this or is this a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by GodSpawn

The patch changed things so that size 1 cities are always destroyed when they are conquered - are you seeing the problem with cities >1?
                  This should have been in the readme.txt. If you capture a city of population 1 and the city has generated no culture, it is automatically destroyed.

Jeff

Comment

it doesnt seem that you can place citys or units with the editor yet

Comment

patch rating: f!

I'll try to write down some of the most annoying bugs in the "newest" patch version. (i tried both on several systems)

First my test systems:
                      Machine1: Celeron 850, 392 MB Ram, Windows ME (german), Matrox g400 dual head (2 monitors)
                      Machine2: AMD 900, 768 MB Ram, Win XP (german), Hercules GF2 Ultra.
                      I've never changed the rules nor installed any mod or 3rd party updates.

I found no real differencies between the errors on the two systems. Maybe some of the errors are more serious on one machine than on the other. i belive firaxis never tested on something else than win2k but thats a different story.

• See attached file to view at the strange "boxes" appearing everywhere on the map. this happened after ive discovered iron working ( i think has somethin to do with the iron resources) the first patch gave me NO luxurys on the whole map

• it says that i have succesfully build a road to a iron resource. but i checked every tile (cleared map first, after this rightclicked every tile) there is NO iron!

• the moves are much quicker now (horay) but on the other hand i have several fatal errors - crashing civ3 and the whole system (ME).

• instead of improving the AI you put the AI cheating to an unseen top! this stupid ai-bastards are still stupid like toast but now they start with double number of units (tiny map started 4 tiles away from the americans, they allready had about 20 units outside their city ! 20!!!!) Another game i played tiny map against egypts and some others (archipelago). at around 100bc i cleared bought all maps ( i had 8 citys - corruption on the same level like prepatch) and what must i see? the egypts had about 30 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! citys. spitting out units wonders and building every turn. impossible? i think the AI has no corruption at all. very frustrating. the ai behaves as stupid like prepatch but against this massive cheating - no chance. this is no fun anymore. chess-progs can beat most of human players (even the pc-versions) why is firaxis not able to code a good AI that can beat normal human players without the worst cheating ive ever seen in a pc game. okay its deity, but this is .......

• some enemy citys appear like units!!!!!

• cant capture citys anymore - they are all destroyed after victory. not only the one-pop-towns! (happens not all the time)

• zoc-units shoot OWN units!

i could continue this for hours, but this would mean that i start spit foam (right word) at one point and start jumping at my walls :-(

both patchversions ive downloaded are TOTALLY BROKEN!
                      even the deinstaller is corrupted. the bugs stay after deinstalling the patch. only thing that helped is completely killing civ3 installation.

i think either they messed up the upload of the patch, or this is a classical case of
                      "works brilliant on our devsystem - its your fault"- betatesting.
                      i could swear theyve never tested this on anything else than theyr Dell (or whatever) devmachines with US-Win2k/XP maybe ME. This could not be tested on
                      • foreign Windows Versions
                      • Dual Monitor-Systems (the release versions worked great with two monitors)
                      • machines with anything else than the pure orignial release install ( i've never changed anthing in it, but i read a lot on german boards about problems with custom mods)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by hanZ; December 10, 2001, 16:22.
                      There have been no new posts in the last 1396 days to your subscribed threads.

Comment

Hey, Jeff

Did Dan told you about obsolete units probem I told him about?

I Hope it will be fixed in next patch.

Comment

I didn't notice, I'll look.

Comment

Copy protection problems

I've seen lots of reports like this, but not in this thread, so here it is for completeness.

Civ 3 doesn't run for me, neither 1.16 nor 1.07. I have two PC's, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 2000 SP2 + all updates from Windows Update. Another thing they have in common is that they are both running Easy CD Creator 5.02c. The desktop has a DVD drive and a CDRW drive, the laptop has a DVD/CDRW combo drive, I have tested the game in all drives. (Yes, with an original disk.)
                            What happens is the following: When I run Civ, I get the splash screen. About half the time, it goes directly back to the desktop. Otherwise, I then get the movie, followed by the start screen (new games, load scenario, etc.) If I then click on "new game" or "new scenario", it goes back to the desktop. (I can choose set preferences, but that's not much help, of course.)

The reason I know it's a copy protection issue, is that the game, in version 1.07, runs fine with a cracked executable from gamecopyworld. But I have not seen such a cracked file for 1.16, and after all, I paid for my copy, so I shouldn't have to crack it, right?

Any chance of the next patch having less aggressive copy protection?

Thanks,

- Michael

Comment

From my previous post in "Rate the Patch!"

I played a saved game with the new patch and here are the results:

1. Various animation bugs.

ex) The ships do not have any sound until the last space moved.

2. Advisor screens, especially diplomacy and science ones, do not fully work.

ex) No arrows in science advisor screen, but more importantly, at some point, all of the diplomacy lines (peace, war, mutual protection pact, etc) disappear.

3. Odd: I found Chinese workers and French longbowman in my cities.

4. The mech infantry in my cities would sometimes attack and kill any of my other units passing through. In a couple of instances, I noticed a sneaky Chinese unit in there.

5. The ending with all of the quotes from the defeated leaders has bugs.

ex) My character (winner), Elizabeth, and Gandhi (eliminated) did not show up to say anything.

6. I have noticed that after the first test, the lag has nearly disappeared and there are fewer crashes. Hurray!

7. AI patrolling seems to have been thrown out. Yes!

8. The patch adds bonuses to units rather than adjusting them, which is good.

ex) I played a gamed with modified rules and gave the privateers an attack of two. The patch added an attack of one, for a total of three. I recommend giving the privateers an attack of three now, anyhow. This is because they should be able to attack frigates, but not defend very well against them (they still have a defense of only one).

Overall, I give the patch a rating of "excellent" because it fixes essential playability issues (less lag and fewer crashes). Also, it has a lot of great fixes.

However, it still does not add the ability to:

1. Specify player starting location in the map editor.

2. Stack moves.

3. Allow "fairer" trading with AI.

In conclusion, this first patch lets me enjoy the game for now, but I can't wait for the second patch to take it further (esp. for customization).
                              "I've spent more time posting than playing."

Comment

Working...
                              X