Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desires For Future Civ3 Patches (A thread saving thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever a city finishes a unit/improvement, transfer the first ten surplus shields to the next unit/improvement. (This reduces the incentive to micro-manage shield vs. gold production to save some shields that would otherwise get lost.)
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I hope they will make later patches to read the registry and automatically install in the Game directory, and not in the default directory, Which I overrode because I want some order and keep all games in one directory, and all apps in another.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

There are a few issues I didn't see in the list that I would like to see implemented. Sorry if I'm repeating anyone.

1. Concrete Alliances: Why is it alliances only extend to war in Civ 3? I'd like to see an option in diplomacy to form an alliance indefinitely and not just for purposes of warfare. Basically wrap mutual protection, right of passage, and perhaps even shared strategic resources all in one package and make it last until either the player or AI calls it off. You would just need make sure the AI doesn't go with its attitude in MGE and form\break alliances with you every other turn on a whim.

2. Some definitive way to *keep* the AI off my land. I know, it's been done to death, but it's still annoying. If they *need* to get through my territory that badly, they should negotiate for passage or openly declare war before barging on in. If they're in my borders for one turn, I don't mind that. When they go on extended treks through the whole of my empire, however...

3. Tone down the AI's trigger happy state if the situation justifies it. If the AI is running around with three times the size of my military and are cranking out tanks while I'm still building knights, there's no way I'm going to declare war on them. The AI doesn't seem to mind doing that. I don't know if that would be difficult or not, but I would imagine not. In Civ2, there came a point where the AI knew it was beaten and cowed.

4. An option to delete high scores in game instead of manually deleting the file.

5. Reduced pollution. I'd love it if pollution was made an option, as it's one of the only things I despise having to deal with in the game, but just reducing it would be enough.

There are also a couple points I read in the list I strongly agree with. Pressuring allies to make peace with a third party is a big one. The chance for a divided empire if your capital falls is another. The Civ cap for each game could be maneuvered around by either making the cities that break away join another Civ or just become barbarian cities(since barbarians are there anyway). That would also help the issue of beefing up the barbarians and keeping them around for the later game. But I'd be satisfied with just losing the palace until it was rebuilt if your capital falls. Also the combat system as far as spearmen standing a little too much of a chance against armor is something I'd like to see changed. That's about it for now.

LR
        Last edited by LRotan; December 8, 2001, 09:45.

Comment

This may be already mentioned. It's not in the list, or in any posts after last edit time on the list:

If you are a couple of techs above the rest of the pack, but have omitted to research one or two techs from previous eras, the Science Advisor will describe you as "backwards". Eg - I made it to fission, nuclear, recycling, computers and all that jazz first - but I hadn't researched Amphibious warfare or Advanced Flight, because they were useless to me. So, despite my four or so tech lead, I was described as "backwards" because of those two previous-era ones I'd not taken. As soon as I traded for them, it sorted itself. This seems a little unfair.

I would suggest that, when deciding whether you are backwards, average or advance, previous era optional techs don't count as much as your standing in the current era. Maybe 1/n times as much, where n is the number of eras old they are.
          The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
          Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
          All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
          "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Erm, I guess I'll reorganize my ideas:

EDITOR:

-allow city improvement to count as a resource in the city it was built (For instance, a Steel Mill could count as a Steel resource)

-allow advances only to certian civs.

When I think of more, I'll post them.
            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Fireaxis for getting the tech screen fixed for custom rules!

One 'cosmetic' change I would like to see however, would be

a) the ability to specify where the connection lines between technologies start and end or

b) mkaing sure that the outgoing lines start at the right side of the tech boxes instead of the left (at the moment the tree can look rather muddled up)

And the other change I really would like to see is the ability to ADD technologies.

Comment

Nice thread.. a few things to add..

1) Up naval units significantly
                2) Up air units significantly in addition to the ability of some units just bieng damaged, others killed (as you mentioned). This should work for all bombardment types, not just air. But especially air, as they had a pearl harbor effect in civ2 where ships would almost immediately lose, though slightly less drastic.
                3) Add more palace improvements!!!! Too many times have I completely finished it. After that, there's no more real inspiration to continue.. It'd be nice to have something like turrets or jets flying at the background too
                4) This one is quite unlikely but I'll post it anyway.. Add FP and AC to units. FP will determine the amount of damage done with every shot and AC (the amount of damage absorbed?) This would surely realize combat. Now instead of a tank doing 1 damage a shot to say a warrior, it'll do say 3, but only 1 to say a mech infantry because mech infantry have high AC. Also, from a more or less good programmer's point of view, this isn't that hard to implement either.
                5) Greatly up the importance of colonies as already mentioned.
                6) AI should trade off some of their land without going to war. Land has been sold and bought PLENTY of times throughout history. The price should be very high, but the AI has to not be utterly repulsed by any deal involving cities if it's not a surrender.
                7) You should be able to negotiate for how many turns the deal will stand or forever.
                8) This one I'd LOVE to see implemented but it will sadly probably never be in civ3. It's not hard to do either. Make manufactered and raw goods. Raw goods are the natural resources we have seen added to civ3. Manufactered goods are things that you make from these to make solid products. For example, if you have oil, rubber, and (aluminum or iron?) you can build cars which is a big luxury. The first car you have to use for your own population and if you're making any excess you could trade them to AI like any luxury (though A LOT more expensive than the raw ones.) Also, the resources you use to build these manufactured goods will be considered used up as though you're trading them away. The way you would build these is it'd be on the list like a city improvement. Every manufactured good will have a certain cost like any other building though a city that's keeping with the times and not miserably far away and getting 1 shield a turn should be able to build it every turn. When it is built, you'd have the resource to trade. This doesn't necessarily just work for luxuries. You could make bread out of wheet and get more food or steel out of iron as a resource that is necessary to build some units.

If these, among with some of the things listed before would be implemented into civ3, I'd be one happy camper and give Firaxis a great, big hug.

Comment

800x600 support!!!!!

I have only one request for anothe patch, and that is support for 800x600 screens. I have a laptop that that is all it supports. I know it won't be optimized or anything, but please at least give us the option for trying it out. Or at least release information on how to try using it on a lower resolution. Thanks a lot for a great game by the way!!!
                  DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                  EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
                  AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

CITIES!!!!!

In the patch, I would want more city names!!! Some fan even did it, so I guess simply write them wouldn't be harder for Firaxis.

So... Firaxis, simply add more city names so we don't get 4 different Berlin with a little difference in the name. Make it so it has some sense
                    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

civil war

"The civ2 capital system is perfect in my opinion. When your capital is taken, a couple of things should happen! First, corruption should run rampant through your empire. Secondly, You should have a chance of civil war, just like civ2"

i thought this was only possible in civ: original.
                      In all the hours i have spent on civ2..that never happened 1ce.

anyways i agree, there should be something gained on reaching the capital. I liked the civil war

I kinda understand why its not possible now.

In civ3..finding the capital is as easy as asking.
                      then all you have to do is send in a couple of nukes and a transport and the capital is yours.

---------------
                      i think with free access agreement..units should be able to pass through units. As it is..you just have to surround the competition.

for example in my marathon game..going on 72 hrs...

i surrounded 56 french workers (for some reason they were moving in packs of 16 through my territory). The result was that france barely had railroad by 2012.

Comment

for the 800*600 post...

"MKL

No probs running Civ 3 here. Top game.

Btw, if you add "KeepRes=1" to Civilization3.ini, you can run at whatever your desktop res is.
                        "

Comment

Re: civil war

Originally posted by Redstar
                          "The civ2 capital system is perfect in my opinion. When your capital is taken, a couple of things should happen! First, corruption should run rampant through your empire. Secondly, You should have a chance of civil war, just like civ2"

i thought this was only possible in civ: original.
                          In all the hours i have spent on civ2..that never happened 1ce.

anyways i agree, there should be something gained on reaching the capital. I liked the civil war

I kinda understand why its not possible now.

In civ3..finding the capital is as easy as asking.
                          then all you have to do is send in a couple of nukes and a transport and the capital is yours.

---------------
                          i think with free access agreement..units should be able to pass through units. As it is..you just have to surround the competition.

for example in my marathon game..going on 72 hrs...

i surrounded 56 french workers (for some reason they were moving in packs of 16 through my territory). The result was that france barely had railroad by 2012.

When a capital is taken, it gives some organization problems, thus ineffectivity as in SMAC (here, it is named corruption). Also, it may cause some civil disorder such as people REALLY wanting their capital back (patriotic), people that are depressed and stressed, which may have some consequences.

BUT: How could they introduce this in a patch? Little too much I think. Some balance issues exist with all this and it seems complicated to me to put in a patch.
                          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Canals

I would like to see some sort of terraforming in the game. Perhaps very slow or demanding many workers early on in the game - but possible.

Especially I want to be able to build canals. On some large maps, the world is almost split in two halves, because small strecthes of land connects two, three or even four large continents, making sea movement take ages.
                            I want to build the Panama or Suez canal

Comment

Reply to Redstar

Redstar,
                              You are able to play the game in 800x600 mode? The reson I ask is this, I have a laptop that was free from my school, but since it was free it doesn't have many advanced features like higher than 800x600 support. When I install and try to play Civ3 on it it just doesn't do anything. I ean I double click the icon and try to get it to run, but it just doesn'topen anything up. Do you think this is because of the resolution or some other problem? Thanks a lot!!
                              DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                              EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
                              AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Re: Actually, it can...

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh

One would just need events scripting to do so. Let me exemplify:

Great... use "events scripting".

So instead of asking them to do something simple, let's ask them to do something much more difficult, even though they've said they have no plans to add it.
                                "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Working...
                                X