Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desires For Future Civ3 Patches (A thread saving thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reference Post is update, however, the list only includes ideas from pages 1 and 3. I accidentally started off with page 3 on my new updates instead of page 2, sorry. I plan on implementing the rest of the ideas in the next few days, if all else goes right. Believe it or not it takes quite a long time doing this, and that is why it takes me so long to update the Reference Post, as well as other factors, such as activities in life.

EDIT- I forgot to mention that I had to delete a lot of text in the Reference Post because the maximum amount of characters you can have in a post is 20,000 and the Reference Post now has 20,000 characters. I'm not sure how I will continue to update the Reference Post with this character cap. The only two things I can think of are a) Zip the Reference Post, but I don't really like the idea of having to do that or b) Have Mark give me the capabilities to post messages over 20,000 characters.
    Last edited by TechWins; December 17, 2001, 01:48.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• I'm guessing number of pages is determined by your preferences for number of articles per page...since I only show two pages. Could you let us know which posts weren't included?

Comment

• A small yet VERY helpful resource warning

I haven't read EVERYTHING on the board, but am nonetheless suprised that no one else has mentioned this...

As much as I love the strategic resource system (great idea guys), it's major drawback is the random disappearance of the resource. I understand that to make it disappear based on the amout of use is not practical in a patch so I offer a simpler suggestion.

If you have the random number generator run 10-20 turns (and the duration from 10-20 turns can be randomized) AHEAD of the disappearance of the resource then a small pop-up warning can be generated. For example, in 1958 the random number generator determines that the resource will disappear -- generating a message like "Our mystics have determined that one of our oil resources will disappear in 17 turns." (17 determined randomly between 10 and 20). Then, you have some warning that you'd better find more oil. It seems more realistic and is certainly less frustrating.
        Gothwycke the Wise

Comment

• workers removing previous improvements

I have a suggestions for worker unit commands. If I have a stack of five workers that I want to irrigate a grassland tile that was previously mined (only the AI
          would mine grassland!) I should only have to tell one worker that I want to destroy the mine. Instead, I get five different pop-up boxes that ask me if I am sure I want to destroy the mine.

Yes I am sure I want to destroy the mine.
          Yes I am still sure I want to destroy the mine.
          Yes I am still sure I want to destroy the mine!

Comment

• Re: workers removing previous improvements

Originally posted by Quantum
            I have a suggestions for worker unit commands. If I have a stack of five workers that I want to irrigate a grassland tile that was previously mined (only the AI
            would mine grassland!) I should only have to tell one worker that I want to destroy the mine. Instead, I get five different pop-up boxes that ask me if I am sure I want to destroy the mine.

Yes I am sure I want to destroy the mine.
            Yes I am still sure I want to destroy the mine!
            That is TOTALLY funny!

eh-hem, sorry

Comment

• Re: Resources Disappearing etc.

Originally posted by Goth
              I haven't read EVERYTHING on the board, but am nonetheless suprised that no one else has mentioned this...

As much as I love the strategic resource system (great idea guys), it's major drawback is the random disappearance of the resource. I understand that to make it disappear based on the amout of use is not practical in a patch so I offer a simpler suggestion.

If you have the random number generator run 10-20 turns (and the duration from 10-20 turns can be randomized) AHEAD of the disappearance of the resource then a small pop-up warning can be generated. For example, in 1958 the random number generator determines that the resource will disappear -- generating a message like "Our mystics have determined that one of our oil resources will disappear in 17 turns." (17 determined randomly between 10 and 20). Then, you have some warning that you'd better find more oil. It seems more realistic and is certainly less frustrating.
              Thats a good point, and a good suggestion as well. But here is a better idea for them.. how about in the editor, or preferences menu, whichever they find more suiting... you have "toggle" switches for the resources... so that players can set them to whatever they want...!

Resources
              ON/OFF (On = the resource(s) never disappear)
              TIME LIMIT (# of turns available/years whatever)
              ERA LIMIT (Only available in certain eras, set which era)

etc etc.. you get my meaning?

Charles.
              - What we do in life, echos in eternity.

Comment

• My requests for the future patch:

1. Allow units to fight off deposers. They have guns and stuff, surely they can take on a few peasant revolutoinaries.

2. Allow cruise missiles to go on something. They have a terrible range and can only fire from cities, they're particularly useless. We shot them at Afganistan, I reckon from a boat or sub or something, I'm sure somebody knows, but definetely not from a city.

3. Radar artillery should get 2 movement, being as they have treads and tracks.

4. Helicopters should be able to load on carriers to drop troops off. Additionally, you should still be able to make infantry once you get mechanized infantry so you can load them on helicopters.

5. You should not be able to draft mechanized infantry as you should actually have to build the armored personel carriers.

6. The price on espionage should be feasible, it seems to me it's way cheaper to research techs then steal them. On top of that you should be able to do more espionage missions like in CivII, where'd they all go?

7. The AI should once in awhile give you a fair deal, especially if you're on good terms with them. Why is it they always want a luxury + tech just for a luxury?

8. ICBM's should do more damage.

9. There needs to be a long-range large payload bomber, such as the B52 stratofortress (I think that's what it's called).

10. Need to be able to build airstrips. All major wars WWII onward focused on getting airstrips or slapping them down on an island.

11. There ought to be some optional techs to build biological and chemical weapons.

12. What happened to fundamentalism??? Bring it back.

13. And finally, give me my wonder movies!

Comment

• Originally posted by bahoo
                  My requests for the future patch:

1. Allow units to fight off deposers. They have guns and stuff, surely they can take on a few peasant revolutoinaries.

2. Allow cruise missiles to go on something. They have a terrible range and can only fire from cities, they're particularly useless. We shot them at Afganistan, I reckon from a boat or sub or something, I'm sure somebody knows, but definetely not from a city.

3. Radar artillery should get 2 movement, being as they have treads and tracks.

4. Helicopters should be able to load on carriers to drop troops off. Additionally, you should still be able to make infantry once you get mechanized infantry so you can load them on helicopters.

5. You should not be able to draft mechanized infantry as you should actually have to build the armored personel carriers.

6. The price on espionage should be feasible, it seems to me it's way cheaper to research techs then steal them. On top of that you should be able to do more espionage missions like in CivII, where'd they all go?

7. The AI should once in awhile give you a fair deal, especially if you're on good terms with them. Why is it they always want a luxury + tech just for a luxury?

8. ICBM's should do more damage.

9. There needs to be a long-range large payload bomber, such as the B52 stratofortress (I think that's what it's called).

10. Need to be able to build airstrips. All major wars WWII onward focused on getting airstrips or slapping them down on an island.

11. There ought to be some optional techs to build biological and chemical weapons.

12. What happened to fundamentalism??? Bring it back.

13. And finally, give me my wonder movies!
                  You can change a lot of this stuff in the editor. Open up the editor and open up "civ3mod.bic" from your main civ directory. Go up to "Rules" and choose "Edit Rules". You'll find that you can manually and easily modify your suggestions numbered 2, 3, and 5, and add fundamentalism, but that's a little tricky. With difficulty and the proper copy-tool downloaded from the files section, you can also (but with difficulty) add units, techs, and city improvements.
                  Yes, I am the King of Babylon.
                  No, you don't have to bow if you don't want to.

<~~Balloons are the BEST!

Comment

• I want an option in the editor to set where in the icon sheet the era specific icons start (or an option to set icon per era).
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

• Years Speed

General Idea:

I would like to see the number of years that go by in a turn the same as Civ 2. I was recently trying out Civ 2 and only 20 years go by in one turn at the start of the game. In Civ 3, 50 years go by.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet.

Comment

• EDITOR CHANGES

1) allow the player to set which terrain wheeled units can't move over

2) allow the player to set which terrain a settler can found a city on

Comment

• Just to let everybody know, the new thread for this can be found here. Please visit that thread instead. MarkG said he was going to "top" that thread, but then again that was two days ago. Hopefully he'll remember to do it when he sees the thread.
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• tech wins those suggestions came directly from looking for a solution to your tundra problem

Comment

• I'm glad to hear I was your inspiration, Korn. It's not that I don't want any cities to be built on tundra; it's just that the AI does an overkill on expansion and builds far too many cities on tundra because of that. I figured lowering the value of tundra would prevent as many cities being built on tundra by the AI, which from my experience it seems as if I was correct.

AGAIN, EVERYBODY VISIT THIS THREAD INSTEAD!

Comment

• Originally posted by TechWins
                                AGAIN, EVERYBODY VISIT THIS THREAD INSTEAD!
                                Have you PMed Ming/Markos about it?
                                Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                                X