X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes:
    * Cultural priority of AI has been reduced
    Could someone explain this situation to me (or point me to the right thread)??

In my experience, through Regent level, the AI seemes to have too LOW of a priority on culture, allowing non-core cities to build no culture at all for centuries on end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
      The min and max turns for research are now in the editor, so feel free to change it to whatever you think is more appropriate.
      Dan
      Thank you for telling me that. I appreciated that.
      But I would also appreciate if you could please tell us why did you increase the standard!

Lockstep, I never "heard" any of those prayers...
      "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
      Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
      Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
      Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

While I appreciate the many changes and fixes applied in the patch, I have to note that no significant functionality was added to the editor. Yes, min and max tech turns were added, which will be great for modding, but aside from that, there is still no full add/delete for units, improvements, labourers etc. and still no ability to place units and cities on the map. Should we be expecting these in a further patch?

-Sev

Comment

Originally posted by Zealot

Thank you for telling me that. I appreciated that.
          But I would also appreciate if you could please tell us why did you increase the standard!

Lockstep, I never "heard" any of those prayers...
          Zealot, I'm really not sure (perhaps Soren or Jeff would know), I just wanted to let you guys know that this is editable now.

Dan
          Dan Magaha
          Firaxis Games, Inc.
          --------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
            Thanks again Maggot!

"The min and max turns for research are now in the editor, so feel free to change it to whatever you think is more appropriate."

Yes, feel free to change our shoddy workmanship. We can't actually make the game so there is a standard way of playing. Instead we encourage you to finish the development of the game by moding it and changing the rules in order to tweak the gameplay for us. We would like to thank all our beta testers of apolyton for their cooperation and their hard earned money. Have a problem? Talk to our lawyers.
            C'mon, now, isn't that a bit unfair? People have been screaming up and down for more options. Now Firaxis gives them to us and we berate them for doing so?

Look, the game will never be all things to all people, but the people who work at Firaxis (Dan and Soren aren't faceless corporations, you know, they're people) seem to be working very hard to address fans' concerns and complaints. Maybe you could cut them a little slack, huh?

Comment

We really, really need a designated-defender command for combat units (like the one in SMAC).
              ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

Originally posted by RickBlaine
                While this patch does not address every change that I would like in the game (examples include stack movement, accessing the Civlopedia from the city menu), I think some of the critics here are being overly harsh. This is a pretty good list for a first patch, and I highly doubt that Firaxis is even close to being done with the development of this game. That said, hehe, I would like some further clarification of SAMs and coastal fortresses: are they now working as intended, or is there still little reason to build them? The changes to corruption are somewhat vague, but I am sure they will be clearer by time the patch is released. I particularly liked the change allowing police stations to lower corruption; I did not object as much to the corruption rate (though I feel it was too high and the reduction was in order) as to the fact that there was so little that the player could do to counter it after a certain point.
                The bug which affected interception also affected SAM batteries, so they were broke in the original version but will now work with the patch.
                - What's that?
                - It's a cannon fuse.
                - What's it for?
                - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Come on EnigmaticGod, please lighten up. Yer showing your @ss here. That patch took a lot of work, and though more can be done, this was a very good start.
                  Question Authority.......with mime...

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

the main change is that you can stop the computer from even showing you certain moves. For example, if you are tired of watching your workers move around the map while automating, just turn off "Show Automated Moves" in the Preferences Window. The same could be done for friendly or enemy civs. This speeds up the end turns a great deal...
                    Wow! A Fixaian answered me! Woooo!

Thanks for the quick reply, Soren, but I was wondering more the deal with the huge slowdowns on larger maps when the Trade Network/Cultural Influence borders were changed. As it is now, in the late 900's AD, if I pillage a road or destroy a harbour (or create a harbour), the system stops responding for a good amount of time (from 2 - 5 minutes I have seen) while it recalculates the whole Trade Network.

I was wondering if anything could be done to speed that up, maybe a new algorithm, different coding, modifying the way the trade network works, something.

And when you get Airports, it goes to hell!

The ability to not show units moving at all is a very good addition, and for one I welcome since in the later game, spying on enemy troop movements to see where they are. I have to see their movement for the turn so I get to avoid this now.

As I said, a welcomed patch with a goodly number of fixes.

Cavalier

Comment

I'm well aware they're not the corporation. But the way they handle complaints is to say "Don't like it, don't play it". Or "Don't like it, edit it". Did civ2 need to be edited and moded in order for it to be fun? Civ2 had a standard. A standard everyone used and played and enjoyed. This game doesn't. Also, Dan and the other guys don't really address the problems. They just deal with them. It's complete lack of commitment to the game. I've said it before, as soon as you say "nice patch" they'll say "Thanks, enjoy the game. We'll see you when civ 4 comes out."

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
                        Zealot, I'm really not sure (perhaps Soren or Jeff would know), I just wanted to let you guys know that this is editable now.

Dan
                        Ok, thanks. I'll wait for a response from them then.
                        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Originally posted by EnigmaticGod
                          Thanks again Magaha!

"The min and max turns for research are now in the editor, so feel free to change it to whatever you think is more appropriate."

Yes, feel free to change our shoddy workmanship. We can't actually make the game so there is a standard way of playing. Instead we encourage you to finish the development of the game by moding it and changing the rules in order to tweak the gameplay for us. We would like to thank all our beta testers of apolyton for their cooperation and their hard earned money. Have a problem? Talk to our lawyers.
                          So which would you rather have? Swiss? American? Cheddar? Provolone? Which cheese would you like with your WHINE?

Actually you should be thankful that the editor allows PLAYERS to twiddle with the game settings so they are how the PLAYERS want them if they don't like the default. Are you saying you'd rather have a game where the parameters are set in stone and you have NO CHANCE of altering them to suit you?

Maybe you have played AOK (great game) and it's SET build orders and very linear "if you don't do this and this and this in that order you will lose" every game?? I for one LIKE the idea that I can change stuff to SUIT me. After all the whining and complaining from people here who don't like this or that with the game when it came out, you know, the DEFAULT settings, I'd think more people would be thrilled with the ability to change more stuff.

I guess you can't please everyone..

Oh, and if you dislike the game so much, why don't you return it and put your money where your mouth was. Otherwise, change the game to SUIT YOU and stop complaining about things in the game you feel aren't "right", that's what the editor is for.

Comment

Just wanted to thank Firaxis for listening to our comments and complaints and taking them seriously, and look forward to further patching in the future. [Always the mark of a company that cares about its customers, instead of leaving them out to dry.]

And please don't let those that are never satisfied dissaude you from continuing to improve your product, I can assure you the people happy with the effort far exceed those expecting you to be mind-reading savants with a talent for human-like Artificial Intelligence algorithm programming.

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

the main change is that you can stop the computer from even showing you certain moves. For example, if you are tired of watching your workers move around the map while automating, just turn off "Show Automated Moves" in the Preferences Window. The same could be done for friendly or enemy civs. This speeds up the end turns a great deal...
                              Despite all the moaning and groaning, I just wanted to say "Thank You".

This was my #1 complaint with Civ 3, as it was the limiting force in how long I could tolerate playing a given round of Civ3.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

- Nobody

Comment

Heh... This is great stuff for a first patch!

One thing though: Will the patch fix that stupid bug when you are playing a scenario that you could not select what tech you wanted to choose?
                                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X