Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interface and other complaints (Civ3 is flawless and perfect types need not read).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interface and other complaints (Civ3 is flawless and perfect types need not read).

I'm going nuts moving my 30 unit army one by one.....
    - No group movement is just stupid player griefing...

I'm going nuts when after moving 5 units from a 10 unit stack it suddenly decides it's more much better to active a worker 5 screens away than to activate unit #6 of my current stack.
    - logic....

I'm going nuts when i try to get a clear overview of my units in a given tile.
    - Inexcusable rushing...

I'm going nuts when I want to semi-end the turn for a given unit but I can't, there's no way to skip a units turn without completely ending it.
    - Skip turn should pull the unit from the "next available unit" rutine BUT you should still be able to manually click and move it.

I'm going nuts when the governor starts producing a Galleon after finishing a battleship.
    The 0.005 secs on screen msg about finished unit building jobs is a joke, give me a pop-up menu and kill the damn governor for christ sake.

The late game is such a management grief that I quite frankly don't bothert playing much into the industrial age when I get 20 cities, 70 workers and 70 military units ot keep track off.

If you enjoy this kind of grief then more power to you but respect that I don't.

Another thing that is immensly annoying in my world is that it doesn't update everything at the start of your turn, for example
    why does it have to cycle through 5 cities that just produced something before it announces the tech advance that lets me build the new improvement I want to start building in those 5 cities ?

You might say that it's minor anoynance but for me it's another 30 or whatever redundant clicks added to the already massive amount of redundant clicking & scrolling.

The more I play the more pissed I get at the downright stinking interface and it gets so bad that as mentioned before when I'm reaching the industrial age I'm mainly figthing the interface not the other civs.

/dev

In a perfect world you'd be absolutely right and I hope at least some of these micromanagement issues get cleaned up in future versions of the game. I just wonder what you were expecting considering it has evolved from the micromanagement-fest that was Civ II.....
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

I don't remember Civ2 being this much of an interface/management hell and SMAC surely isn't.

This interface hasn't evolved, it's regressed.

/dev

Comment

All of those flaws are present in Civ II except for the stupid governor (because tere wasn't one and you couldnt queue production) and you couldn't even set auto-workers to reduce some of the worker-management.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

I'm going nuts when I want to semi-end the turn for a given unit but I can't, there's no way to skip a units turn without completely ending it.
          Doesn't the 'Wait' command cover what you're looking for here?

If not, could you be a little clearer?

Comment

Originally posted by Cian McGuire

Doesn't the 'Wait' command cover what you're looking for here?

If not, could you be a little clearer?
            Yes I was thinking the same thing! The wait command is exactly what dev describes.
            Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
            If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
            "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Cian if I use wait I will return to the unit automaticly (and proberly when I'm trying to move some otyher stack of units).

I want an end turn unless I change my mind and manually click the unit option.

Grumbold, I haven't played Civ2 for years but I know that the inteface didn't even come close to anoy me as much as Civ3, sentry command et all.

/dev

Comment

Originally posted by Dev
                Cian if I use wait I will return to the unit automaticly (and proberly when I'm trying to move some otyher stack of units).

I want an end turn unless I change my mind and manually click the unit option.

/dev
                Well, use the fortify command then. In that case if you change your mind you can activate him again (which was not possible in civ2, so this is an improvement!).
                Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

But if I fortify it I have to remember activating it next turn....

A simple change to "skip turn" would fix it.

/dev

Comment

"Clear Overview of Units in a given tile" ? The right-click menu is perfect for an overview, way better than the old style boxes.

I know what you mean about the "Governor" decisions, I spent ages waiting for another civ to build Sun Tsus War Academy because nearly every city chose it, then again we do have a production "queue", if only I could figure out how it works ...

I'd like to be able to play a game consisting purely of AI civs, then just watch it in high speed
                    xane

Comment

Wait pushes it into a line of units and waits until the last non-waited unit moves or otherwise finishes it's movement. Thereafter they procede in order of when you told them to wait (if I'm not mistaken- they may activate in order or closeness). There won't be any instances of a waited unit popping up in the middle of an active army movement- not that I've noticed anyways.

If what you're looking for automatically ends the unit's turn but allows him to be selectable next turn, doesn't the pass/space bar do that function?

Comment

Unfortunately the wait option does not work like that. If you tell a unit to wait then it will requery the next time the "stack" cycles round to that unit. So if you manually select another unit that is higher in the queue, once you have given it orders, up pops the "waiting" unit. It does not get apssed over until after all the units have been queried at least once. Of course this is not noticable if you allow the computer to go through all the units in its internal order. Then you only see the "wait" units after all the normal ones have been processed.

Sentry mode would be an answer, if Civ 3 had it.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Dev
                          A simple change to "skip turn" would fix it.
                          you can have a unit do nothing this turn and be activated on the next turn by hiting space
                          or are you describing something else?
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Interface and other complaints (Civ3 is flawless and perfect types need not read).

Originally posted by Dev
                            The late game is such a management grief that I quite frankly don't bothert playing much into the industrial age when I get 20 cities, 70 workers and 70 military units ot keep track off.
                            and you're saying you didnt have the same situation in civ2?

Another thing that is immensly annoying in my world is that it doesn't update everything at the start of your turn, for example
                            why does it have to cycle through 5 cities that just produced something before it announces the tech advance that lets me build the new improvement I want to start building in those 5 cities ?

You might say that it's minor anoynance but for me it's another 30 or whatever redundant clicks added to the already massive amount of redundant clicking & scrolling.
                            at least you can change the production of cities directly from the domestic advisor
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Dev
                              I don't remember Civ2 being this much of an interface/management hell and SMAC surely isn't.
                              /dev
                              It's called "Amarcord effect'. Fellini covered that pretty well, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X