Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interface and other complaints (Civ3 is flawless and perfect types need not read).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Originally posted by xane
    "Clear Overview of Units in a given tile" ? The right-click menu is perfect for an overview, way better than the old style boxes.

I know what you mean about the "Governor" decisions, I spent ages waiting for another civ to build Sun Tsus War Academy because nearly every city chose it, then again we do have a production "queue", if only I could figure out how it works ...

I'd like to be able to play a game consisting purely of AI civs, then just watch it in high speed
    Don't you have the option to prevent Governors 'choosing' to build Wounders and/or Naval units? ( sorry I am at the office so don't have the game available....Also we use NT at work )

If you need to build multiple Battleships use the build queue and de-select Naval units from the govenors options...

edit: Shift key to add to the production queue, 'q' to remove...I think
    tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

Originally posted by Cian McGuire

If what you're looking for automatically ends the unit's turn but allows him to be selectable next turn, doesn't the pass/space bar do that function?
      No, once I skip the turn I can no longer activate the unit in the _same_ turn if I change my mind. (because of a battle gone wrong etc.)

/dev

Comment

Originally posted by Dev
        No, once I skip the turn I can no longer activate the unit in the _same_ turn if I change my mind. (because of a battle gone wrong etc.)
        perhaps you then need a feature in civ3 that reads your mind and either makes a unit wait or skip turn according to whether you will change your mind or not...
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Re: Interface and other complaints (Civ3 is flawless and perfect types need not read).

Originally posted by MarkG
          and you're saying you didnt have the same situation in civ2?
          Yes that's what I'm saying and giving it some thought it's probably because I only used a fraction of units in Civ2 I use in Civ3. 3 tanks and 10 bombers just doesn't cut it anymore~

at least you can change the production of cities directly from the domestic advisor
          Doesn't change the fact that it's poor design.

/dev

Comment

perhaps you then need a feature in civ3 that reads your mind and either makes a unit wait or skip turn according to whether you will change your mind or not...
            Read my lips:

I want a feature that pulls the unit from the queue but lets me manually activate it without getting "Unit has already moved this turn" msg.

Is it that hard to understand ?

/dev

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Interface and other complaints (Civ3 is flawless and perfect types need not read).

Originally posted by Dev
              3 tanks and 10 bombers just doesn't cut it anymore
              that's actually good, isnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dev
                I want a feature that pulls the unit from the queue but lets me manually activate it without getting "Unit has already moved this turn" msg.
                so having to use "wait" to not use a unit and "skip turn" to tell that unit to do nothing is that big a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

It's called "Amarcord effect'. Fellini covered that pretty well, IMHO.
                  Thanks, I specificly mentioned you in the topic and yet you still had to post your (mandatory) junk.

and no I don't know who fellini is/was and I could care less, if I ever want to know I'll go look it up on a Fellini msg board if you know what I mean.

/dev

Comment

so having to use "wait" to not use a unit and "skip turn" to tell that unit to do nothing is that big a problem?
                    Yes it is.

/dev

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Interface and other complaints (Civ3 is flawless and perfect types need not read).

that's actually good, isnt it?
                      As a matter of fact it's not only good, it's great.

If only they had improved the interface to deal with it too :\

/dev

Comment

Re: Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Originally posted by Th0mas

Don't you have the option to prevent Governors 'choosing' to build Wounders and/or Naval units? ( sorry I am at the office so don't have the game available....Also we use NT at work )
                        The problem isn't really the governor which is disabled but that the game "intelligently" tries to figure out what you will build next when a job is done.
                        As you may have guessed this intelligent feature is dumber than a brick and it will happily try to build tons of swordsmen when infantry is available etc.

/dev

Comment

Originally posted by Dev

Thanks, I specificly mentioned you in the topic and yet you still had to post your (mandatory) junk.
                          i never said civ was flawless.
                          on the other hand, i do bother to read the manual and shortcut table first.
                          if you take out mark's posts, your posts consist of over 90% of this thread. it perhaps aint spamming but surely is strange

and no I don't know who fellini is/was and I could care less, if I ever want to know I'll go look it up on a Fellini msg board if you know what I mean./dev
                          no, i do not know 'what you mean'. perhaps that you spent your life watching dinos eat and burp on screen?

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

i never said civ was flawless.
                            Ohh that must be why you always have to post a one line reply whenever someone complain about something, valid or not.

on the other hand, i do bother to read the manual and shortcut table first.
                            Your point is?

if you take out mark's posts, your posts consist of over 90% of this thread. it perhaps aint spamming but surely is strange
                            Your point is?

no, i do not know 'what you mean'. perhaps that you spent your life watching dinos eat and burp on screen?
                            [/quote]

Ok since you ask for it then I meant that you're a ****** ***** who can't tell the difference between a Civ3 msg board and a Fellini msg board, that clear enough ?

/dev

Comment

Originally posted by Dev

quote:
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Yes it is.

/dev
                              As has been described above, follow the games unit move selection order, then if you are in mid-stack when it jumps away to a worker you can press 'w' and continue moving the stack. The unit that has been ordered to wait will then be made active after the game has finished its current move cycle. This then does exactly what you want.

...it seems to me that you may need to change your playing habits from CIV 2, as you would have done for SMAC.

The problem isn't really the governor which is disabled but that the game "intelligently" tries to figure out what you will build next when a job is done.
                              It won't if you use the queues...
                              tis better to be thought stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting

Comment

Re: Interface and other complaints (Civ3 is flawless and perfect types need not read).

Ok since you ask for it then I meant that you're a ****** ***** who can't tell the difference between a Civ3 msg board and a Fellini msg board, that clear enough ?

Ok, I think calming down might just be in order here...

Originally posted by Dev
                                Another thing that is immensly annoying in my world is that it doesn't update everything at the start of your turn, for example
                                why does it have to cycle through 5 cities that just produced something before it announces the tech advance that lets me build the new improvement I want to start building in those 5 cities ?
                                For the simple reason that science accumulates city by city. If the first 5 cities in the upkeep cycle don't push you over the tech edge, then you won't get the tech until the 6th city succeeds in doing so.

I've just run across a small query I'd like an answer to - I have (just) managed to get my hands on some coal and iron, so I'm starting to railroad my roads. however, pressing R doesn't seem to do anything, I actually have to click the railroad button. Is this happenning to everyone?
                                The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                                Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                                All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                                "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Working...
                                X