No announcement yet.

Another cheap exploit (trade)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hit CTRL + SHIFT + M and you should be able to see if any rubber is under your cities, but here still will be military units blocking parts... Oh but first check your Domestic Advisor. If the rubber is listed under Local it will tell you it's location. Or maybe you are importing and dont know it, whereby it would appear here also. Yes let us know what the deal is

Comment

Umm basically so what? I mean its not like a normal player is going to do this or somehing! You cant do it by accident right? This is the least of the worries the devs should we working on.

By what you explained takes work and time to do it. If people exploit it so what? Thier playing by themselves for crist sakes. Its not like this game has multiplayer.
      We will fight them Until Hell Freezes over. Then we will fight them on the Ice.

Comment

Use the force Luke...

Come on Malkuth - if the system is broken enough to let this happen, what is happening that you don't see? If I see that the bathroom at a restaurant is atrocious, what can I assume about the kitchen?

Venger

Comment

Man I need some sleep....found that I changed that particular requirement in the editor.
          LOL! Jeff Morris must live for these moments (he's the Firaxis QA director, btw)
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

My point is thiers bigger and badder problems with the game right now. Basically Im sure if you looked hard enough you could find tons of stuff to do agaist the computer thats an exploit. For istance the 999999999 gold thing. It is just an AI anyway. But if they ever get multi play in then this will have to be stopped.
            We will fight them Until Hell Freezes over. Then we will fight them on the Ice.

Comment

Grasp the pebble from my hand...

Originally posted by Malkuth
              My point is thiers bigger and badder problems with the game right now. Basically Im sure if you looked hard enough you could find tons of stuff to do agaist the computer thats an exploit. For istance the 999999999 gold thing. It is just an AI anyway. But if they ever get multi play in then this will have to be stopped.
              Malkuth, the ONE MILLION DOLLARS bug (that has to be it's official name, please give me proper credit on it) is a problem not because it's an exploitable cheat, but because the rules system is broken enough to allow it.

If it will give me ONE MILLION DOLLARS on a turn, who's to say that the 10 it's giving me for trade for my silk is legit? We know that there apparently isn't a check that works on the AI to verify it has the right amount of money for that deal, so who's to say that it isn't screwing it up and making up money when it rush buys items? Is it just printing money? It betrays the fact that the system is broken, badly in a place. So it's not enough to say "just don't ask for ONE MILLION DOLLARS", because if it fails to make sure it's valid for a million, who's to say any of the other trades are any more valid? It's no longer trustworthy.

Venger

Comment

Venger: Here are a few gems I'll share with you before anybody else does. Keep in mind, I think these are garbage replies, but I figured I'd get them out of the way early on in the thread to save us time. Take your pick or mix and max for optimal fun:

1) Programming errors are a part of the industry. Live with it or find a new hobby.

2) If you are so perfect, why don't you program your own game?

3) If you don't like the game so much, why don't you leave the forums?

4) Firaxis wouldn't make the kinds of mistakes you are spouting without any reasonable basis. You are just a whiner.

5) Unless you actually wrote the Civ3 code, you have no right whatsoever to say if it's working or not.

I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                  But you forget: We *are* beta testing!
                  okay. he actually found a cheat.
                  i am actually surprised that you are rejoicing since the whole situation speaks volumes about the mindset of some gamers (trying to break the game) than the firaxis programming.

you tell me how you would solve it
                  1) you cannot pillage your own squares (um, will that mean only roads?)
                  2) you somehow let AI know what you are doing. but how? how should they behave?
                  3) you take away the benefits ( you get only a fraction of the gold but what happens to the tech?)

there is no game that a human cannot distort if he really wants to.

Comment

It's something you don't have to exploit.
                    If you want to cheat (yourself) go ahead. It's indeed a blame that it's possible, but it's no problem.
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by yin26

1) Programming errors are a part of the industry. Live with it or find a new hobby.
                      I'm thinking of programming my own game.

2) If you are so perfect, why don't you program your own game?
                      I couldn't live with the programming errors.

3) If you don't like the game so much, why don't you leave the forums?
                      Because I'm just a whiner.

4) Firaxis wouldn't make the kinds of mistakes you are spouting without any reasonable basis. You are just a whiner.
                      I have no right to whine because I didn't write the Civ3 code.

5) Unless you actually wrote the Civ3 code, you have no right whatsoever to say if it's working or not.
                      I should probably leave the Civ3 forums...

Venger
                      P.S. Why is it not possible for people to understand that the criticism is offered in the hope it changes the game for the better?

Comment

Why is it not possible for people to understand that the criticism is offered in the hope it changes the game for the better?
                        I've given my constructive criticisms on the game for that very reason.

What I can't stand is the "I guess the best TBS days are over" pointless whines or other meaningless dribble that have nothing to do with improving Civ3. It makes me think there are 75 year old snivelling women posting in the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Venger
                          I should probably leave the Civ3 forums...
                          please

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

okay. he actually found a cheat.
                            i am actually surprised that you are rejoicing since the whole situation speaks volumes about the mindset of some gamers (trying to break the game) than the firaxis programming.

you tell me how you would solve it
                            1) you cannot pillage your own squares (um, will that mean only roads?)
                            2) you somehow let AI know what you are doing. but how? how should they behave?
                            3) you take away the benefits ( you get only a fraction of the gold but what happens to the tech?)

there is no game that a human cannot distort if he really wants to.
                            No this should be solved. It is simple to link the available resources to the active trades, like they are linked to production. The AI should react something like this:

1) "You seem to have become unable to deliver the reources you promised, we demand ### gold (/turn) in compensation. "

2) "No goods, no deal"

This would not only prevent the pillaging trick, but also make for a nice 'zing' to trade agreements: you have to really secure your resources or risk being penalized for losing them.

Comment

Re: Another cheap exploit (trade)

Originally posted by sunshine
                              This should make beating the game trivial, since it works on all levels and doesn't even require conquering a civ. Just get a little bit lucky with the resource placement, build a harbor, and fraud your way to world domination.
                              so far the ai never had plenty of money or much more tech than me in order to steal it from them

and dont forget that in most goverments you cant rush buy units with money

and also dont forget that you have to have big civs against you in order to be able to get stuff from them. if you start hitting them hard what will they have to give?

so yes, you can get a good advantage but i dont think the game is over if you use it....
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

For the record:1) I don't actually use these kinds of exploits for the same reason I don't use cheat codes 2) I still think we are beta testers.

Comment

Working...
                                X