Raze City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raze City?

I remember in the old SSG game Warlords II when you captured a city you had the option of occupying, sacking, or razing (totally destroying) the city.

Can you destroy a civ III city (without building tons of settlers)?
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Why would you want to do that? Why not use it to further your cause?
    To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Yes, you can raze them to the ground on capture (screenshots of this exist)

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling7
        Why would you want to do that? Why not use it to further your cause?
        This is one of the best things in Civ3! In earlier Civs you many times captured a city that you didn't really want to own, it was just burden to you (like it was in very bad place). Sometimes you couldn't get defending units early enough and enemy easily captured city back and stole a tech from you. No these problems anymore, this is so coooool!

Comment

Yep... as people mention here, it's definately in. I wonder, however, if you would get money from razing the city, because a poster from this forum pointed out an interesting strategy: he indicated that it made more sense to capture the city, sell all of the structures, and if possible, force all of the citizens into labour. According to Firaxis, newly captured citizens will not produce anything for a few rounds, but there is no word on them being forced into labour.

If you can force them to work, that is something I'd do.
          Of the Holy Roman Empire, this was once said:
          "It is neither holy or roman, nor is it an empire."

Comment

Re: Raze City?

Originally posted by Seeker
            I remember in the old SSG game Warlords II when you captured a city you had the option of occupying, sacking, or razing (totally destroying) the city.

Can you destroy a civ III city (without building tons of settlers)?
            On every screenshot of city capture, regardless of age ( acient and modern have been shown ) and seemingly regardless of size, upon capture of a city you are able to raze that city to the ground.

What we're not sure yet is if that will merely have the effect of removing that civ's presence from the land, or you can make money for the buildings and people you destroy in the process.......
            A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin

If you can force them to work, that is something I'd do.
              Cunning tactic. Maybe with Nationalism you could conscipt the ones who won't work for you.

Ie:
              Player captures city
              AI civilians: "We wont work for you while you're at war with our friends"
              Player: "Okay, want to join my conscript army then?"
              AI civilians "All right"

Lets hope this doesn't happen...

Comment

Or you could work them to death building more units for your campaign like Uber wants to do.

I mean think about it, you capture a city with population of about 4 or 5 ( after bombarding ) during an invasion which overlaps several other cities anyway. It's completely useless to you.

But NOW you can make TANKS OUT IT!!!!!! YAAAAAAY!

By my hands the Panzer tanks will cover the globe!
                A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

Comment

yes. kill off the city and pull out 5 or more tanks for the war effort.

or even, if you need money, set the city to capitialization and work them to death while sellign all improvements.

tons of money.
                  "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

A pity you couldn't raze one city as an example to other more rebellious ones...
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Kill Them. All Of Them.
                      Roman: Civilization belongs to the civilized. Attila: It belogs to those who have the power to conquer it. Me: Nope, it belongs to me. Coz ive paid 50 bucks and it has a 30 days satisfaction guarantee.
                      Asesino_Virtual

Comment

You shouldn't be able to immediately raze a huge city, especially in the modern age. It wouldn't be right if someone sneek attacked you, got lucky, captured your size 30 city with 5 wonders and razed it to the ground that very turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Haphazard

Cunning tactic. Maybe with Nationalism you could conscipt the ones who won't work for you.

Ie:
                          Player captures city
                          AI civilians: "We wont work for you while you're at war with our friends"
                          Player: "Okay, want to join my conscript army then?"
                          AI civilians "All right"

Lets hope this doesn't happen...
                          It's more like this...

Mean army with guns: "We're giving you three choices, yes we're that nice. You can work in the fields and die from exhaustion, fight in the army and die like cannon fodder, or die now by our guns. What do you choose?"

AI Civilians: "Ummmm, I don't wanna die yet! I guess I'll do one of those two things that doesn't involve me dying now!"
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I see that im going to use the Raze strategy in conjunction with my Panzers.

*sales person voice*

Are you having trouble with the populace of a civilization with a higher culture? Are you tired of dealing with the civil disorder which will accompany your glorious conquests? Then, the Panzer and the Raze are for you. Just capture a city, and Raze it all with your Panzers. The Panzer and Raze are not sold in stores. For a free trial, call 1 800 Raze a Town.
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              I see that im going to use the Raze strategy in conjunction with my Panzers.

*sales person voice*

Are you having trouble with the populace of a civilization with a higher culture? Are you tired of dealing with the civil disorder which will accompany your glorious conquests? Then, the Panzer and the Raze are for you. Just capture a city, and Raze it all with your Panzers. The Panzer and Raze are not sold in stores. For a free trial, call 1 800 Raze a Town.

But seriously, if you really want to get something done, you gotta use nukes. I challange you to name one problem that cannot be solved with a nuclear weapon.

With an extra move, Panzers will definetely be good at Blitzkrieg attacks
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X