No announcement yet.

What strategy will you try out first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im taking Domination to mean you own 75% (or more) of the landmass, not 75% of the cities. If it depended on cities, then a Conquer Victory would be impossible. From the ]Civ 3 Site
    The domination victory occurs if you control a majority of the world's land surface within your borders.
    As such, Slash and Burn will work
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Skanky Burns

hmmm i always interpreted it to mean that your civ controls a majority of the total claimed landmass, and not the total landmass of the entire planet

from that quote it seems if you you controlled 75% of the landmass inside of borders on the map then you would win the game through domination, not that you would need 75% of the total landmass

not sure though

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

Isn't that everyone's plan? Though they may try to win in different ways?
        Well, I might try to conquer the world by
        crushing all other civs, but it wont probably
        work when it doesn't work in Civ II.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I believe that you need 75% of the total landmass within your borders.

How I'll play my first game is just toying around with all cool stuff.
          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

regarding winning by domination and that this means 75% or 66.7% of the landmass: are the polar continents back, or not? because otherwise these would provide a huge unused landmass.

Comment

It's also worth noting that the first time I get into the modern age I'll build a heap of nukes, save the game, then launch the nukes...
              (Then reload )

Comment

I'll try a mixed cultural/expansionist strategy.

This means build 2 cities as fast as possible and while the capital is going to be a cultural center (first improvement: temple), the second city will be center of expansion (first improvement: granary).
                Then go on with a specialized cities (culture, WoW, military,... centers) strategy.

I'll probably chose an industrial Civ.
                The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I guess it would work if they mean 3/4 or 2/3 of all the landmass. Though polar caps would be a bit silly...

Oh yah, definetly gotta try out nukes, especially when I don't know the rules! (hopefully I can end the world!)
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Mannamagnus
                    Next I'll take her to bed for some serious horizontal dancing which should make her fall asleep.
                    How serious can it be if she falls asleep?

Is this you?
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

LOL Theban

Regarding domination victory, the Civ 3 site said that the actual values were not 'set in stone' yet, and would be playtested to determine a good value... so it probably wouldnt include large unusable tracts of ice-land at the poles in its calculations.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Meself, I'm gonna try going it with just one city. Yep, unless I get another one from a goody hut, I'm just going to build up one one city, and boy am I going to try to make it huge. I figure if I concentrate on a few garrison units and the rest all cultural enhancements, I can get up to radius three or four fairly quickly, and that takes up a good bit of room. Other civilizations may treat me nicely cause I'm not expanding in their direction, and I may just become a cultural leader. Only problem I see may be population limits, but I can just make a bunch of workers and trade them to other civs.

Comment

I think I'll play the first game on Chieftain level with the instant advice on. I just want to see what kind of advice Firaxis gives.

I might try for a cultural or militaristic victory in my second game on Warlord level when I know what's going on. From Walord, I'll probably go up to Prince or maybe just jump straight to Deity which is where I always play Civ2 and Civilization.
                          Ex Fide Vive
                          Try my new mod and tell me what you think. I will be revising it per suggestions. Nine Governments Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Pseud0nym
                            Meself, I'm gonna try going it with just one city. Yep, unless I get another one from a goody hut, I'm just going to build up one one city, and boy am I going to try to make it huge. I figure if I concentrate on a few garrison units and the rest all cultural enhancements, I can get up to radius three or four fairly quickly, and that takes up a good bit of room. Other civilizations may treat me nicely cause I'm not expanding in their direction, and I may just become a cultural leader. Only problem I see may be population limits, but I can just make a bunch of workers and trade them to other civs.
                            I applaud you for trying but since we really don't know any specfics about the game, I think you're gonna be in a for heap of trouble. But good luck anyway
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I am planning on playing a game with a small civ not too expansionist with an army capable of defending my cities well and try to survive to the end so i get a good feel for all aspects of the game.

Comment

Wow, i salute you, Pseud0nym!! OCC on your first game!!
                                One other thing i want to try is to have a nuclear war sometime in the end-game (only after saving, of course ) and see what sort of effect nukes have

And then load, so i dont have a radioactive empire

Comment

Working...
                                X