Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great news from Gamestar about foreign language versions (Firaxis please confirm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oligarf
    Zuid-Afrikaans help me, wasn't that some kind of mixture between English and Dutch? Could you still call that Anglo?
    Then you're talking about Afrikaans the languages of the boers (dutch word for farmers). It derives from dutch, it has also a little german influence from german settlers in South-Africa. But is certainly not a mixture from dutch and english.
    The icelandic equivalent for farm is b(j?)aer as I got it. I don't know what that would be in danish. The english word farm comes from the french word ferme.

Comment

I am still going to get the English version. Not only can I get it earlier, and probably cheaper too, but most of the translations in translated games are Scheiße, Schmeiße!
      "Proletarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!" -- Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels
      "If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, that's a victory." -- Irish proverb

Proud member of the Pink Knights of the Roundtable!

Comment

Originally posted by Vrank Prins
        Anglo, as I see it, is a broader term than english. It also includes american (+canadian, though canacs never like to admit that), australian, nieuw-zeelands and zuid-afrikaans (new-zealands and south-african, which originally as countries were given their names in dutch). These tongues are all just slightly different from english in speech and more and more in the expressions being used and writing, especially american.
        Well, these "languages" are reffered to as British English / American English. So the term English is IMHO better.
        Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
        If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
        "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

"Consequences, shmonsequences, as long as I'm rich!" - Daffy Duck
          None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

whats all that consequences stuff about?

All I see is a lot of THREADJACKERS

Now for the confirmation: FIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!!

ata

Comment

Originally posted by campmajor!
              Well, these "languages" are reffered to as British English / American English. So the term English is IMHO better.
              I'm "threadjacking" a bit more.

Here’s another reason for using the word anglo instead of english.

I’m not english, but to communicate here I’m using the language which has been spread all over the world by the english and americans. Their language has become a linqua franca and for me an important means to communicate.
              Somehow over the years this language has become part of my own idiom, register. Visiting this forum here, for over a year now, I’m using it almost on a daily base . Does that make the language I’m using “Dutch-english” ?!, or if I would be a danish anglo-user “Dano-english”, or Germano-english etc..
              My language is not really english, nor is it anglo-american or canac- or aussie-anglo, it is a mixture of all that and a bit of myself too. Therefore it has become more than/something different than solely, pure english. Since it has become my own language I’m not going to say I’m using “english”. To me it’s no longer english it has become "anglo". I don’t consider this language to be solely theirs (from the english, americans etc.) anymore. English is just another (o.k. one of the most powerful and for me most inspiring, but still a) manisfestation of this language, linqua vranca to me.

I think it will take sometime for the english and americans (and etc.) to realize that their language is no longer their own PROPERTY to which they have all the rights.

Here’s a comment I wrote months ago (and which I was willing to post but uptill now have never actually posted) after having read the umpteenth excuse by a nonnative anglo-user for the mistakes he was making:

““ Be proud of the fact that you’ve become bilingual by being an active anglo-user. (somehow I guess my anglo is rather english, but I’ve read anglo here by native anglo-users which was rather flawed english)
              Allthough I'm not very strong about this because it’s pretty handy to have somekind of international lingua-franca, I sometimes think it’s the native anglo-users who have to apologize. They somehow seem to take it for granted that it’s us nonnative anglo-users who just have to come about and adapt. Sometimes I wished I had to use swahili here, to have an equal disadvantage with the native anglo-users.
              Besides, and take this to your heart, it’s you who will be linguistical enriched by being bilingual, that’s something the native anglo-users miss and will never get. You may learn from it about your own native language too (well at least that’s what I do as a native dutch- and (!) frisian*-user (*the langauge closest of all germanic languages to english)).
              Feel free to use anglo in what ever way to express yourself, for it has become your own language and is no longer solely theirs (i.e. the native anglo-users). Even by making mistakes !!!because that’s what they (t.n.a-u.) do too . ””

IK ZOU HET VERDOMDE LEKKER VINDEN AlS ER GEWOON EEN GOEDE NEDERLANDSTALIGE VERSIE VAN CIV ZOU KOMEN.
              IS ER IETS MIS MET NEDERLANDS ??
              Last edited by Vrank Prins; October 11, 2001, 11:19.

Comment

Well, whatever...
                The chanses for a norwegian version is like zero, anyway..

But, fortunately we learn good english in the norwegian school!
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Vrank Prins
                  IK ZOU HET VERDOMDE LEKKER VINDEN AlS ER GEWOON EEN GOEDE NEDERLANDSTALIGE VERSIE VAN CIV ZOU KOMEN.
                  IS ER IETS MIS MET NEDERLANDS ??
                  Ik ook, maar dan moet de sfeer wel goed zijn, en ik wil dan ook goed lopende nederlandse tekst, ik wil niet zien dat het ooit engels was.

Comment

Working...
                  X