Language - Question for Firaxis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language - Question for Firaxis...

I am honoured to be living in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, which is fine... but... What about language options? Excuse my lamguage, but I HATE Dutch language games.

Will I be able to go to my local shop and buy Civ3, safe in the knowledge that I understand what my fellow great leaders of the world are saying, or do I need to order a decent languaged version online?
    To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

I fully agree !
    Net als jij haat ik slecht vertaalde spelletjes die de sfeer breken.
    Live long and prosper !

Comment

It's so annoying. I bought Jagged Alliance 2. Excellent game, but all the international commandos communicated in Dutch. Hallo?

Comment

You are right Dutch is NOT a pretty language!

Comment

It would be fine if they would translate it well.
          Het zou prima zijn als ze het goed zouden vertalen.

Unfortunately translations are normally done too cheap by people who do not know their job.

Comment

Net als jij haat ik slecht vertaalde spelletjes die de sfeer breken.

Hehe, the phrase "double Dutch" springs to mind.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tventano
              It would be fine if they would translate it well.
              NO!!!

Grrrr....

That's like saying "James Bond is fine in Duch, as long as Rutger Hauer does the voiceover". Nah, I don't think so.

If someone really wants games in funny languages, there should be an option. I get very uneasy, mentally, when I buy a game and am forced to play it in a funny language.

Comment

We know that we may edit all strings, but we don't know whenever there is any speech. If not the game will most likely be a European version with all shipped languages on the same disc, it is only in case or speech that they may do nation specific discs. I want to be able to play both Swedish version and English version
                Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Dutch girls are hot!

Remember the chick in Lethal Weapon 2? AWWWW SHHHIYAT.... that was my first true *pause* *rewind* experience! I almost *ejected* in my pants LOL.

Seriously, I think there should be different language versions.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Oh yeah, english version please.

I don't care to play games in german for example but the translations are so bad sometimes. And what is even more frustrating is when the translated text doesn't fit into the buttons, labels etc. SO ugly and stupid (CTP 1 for example). They'd just have to start the game once after the translation and look if everything is ok.
                    IN CTP 2 the civilopedia (or whatever it is called in CTP) is still sorted alphabetically, but not by the german terms! So when i want to find out something about the 'Schlachtschiff' for example, i have to think what it might be called in english (Battleship) and then look at the top of the list where i will find the Schlachtschiff.
                    Annoying!

I don't know why game companies don't hire normal game players to translate games. They often know better how to correctly translate the texts than do professional translaters.

Same with movies, just watch a DVD in english with german subtitles and compare.

Rince

Comment

And I thought that only games translated by pirates have this flaws, and officially translated games in the Western Europe don't. BTW, a Russian translation of civ2 made by game fans is still much better than any new game translation. Except probably official translation of Europa Universalis. They made a really good job translating it to Russian, they deserve the credit. So I think this is just a matter of translators' willingless. Does anybody complain about bad English in Settlers? Although the English version is translated one, the original is in German.
                      And yes, I would prefer the English version, anyway.

Comment

FIRAXIS, do not even think about making the release be like my favorite RTS (before you all bann me I'd better say TBS is ofcause the best one ) game "The Settlers IV". What they did to destroy the game, here it is:

- There's NO language option in the game, danish is the only language on the CD's avaliable to buy here in Denmark
                        - They promised they would ship both an english version and an danish version to Denmark at the same time, it's now 6 months since release and I haven't seen anything of the english version
                        - As everybody here also say, the translations are mostly bad, in this game it was extremely bad, e.g. in the game you can build both a blacksmith and a weaponsmith, in the translation they where both called the same...and as far as I remember that word didn't even cover one of those english words.

I did NOT buy the game

And what it seems like, the sales dropped way much in Scandinavia, not many Scandinavians like to play a game in their own country in a (I believe) largeer scale than other countries
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

In Denmark, at least, if you want the English version, you will have to buy quickly after the game is released. Translated versions normally appear a few weeks after release date. That was the case with Europa Universalis. Sadly, once the translated version becomes available, it is next to impossible to obtain the English version.

Asmodean
                          Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Definitely an English version for Europe!

Firaxis, why not save yourself the expense of translations and at the same time increasing customer satisfaction and sales by shipping an English language version of the game to Europe?
                            Rome rules

Comment

Re: Language - Question for Firaxis...

Originally posted by Earthling7
                              I HATE Dutch language games.
                              I couldn't agree more, it's just plain stupid! I want my games either in English or in Twents
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X