No announcement yet.

Modern era special units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to Pi$$ on your chips but, what if the American CSU only has extra movement over the other jets!. Then it would be just as good as the others and would not need to become obsolete
    well the other civilizations special units isnt so special either but they aint around forever... And remember that getting your special unit late also triggers the golden age late which is an advantage.

I hope Firaxis realize that making America get this cheating bonus doesnt look very good, I think that making your own country be better than others is a little bit low and will only encourage people to pirate the game.

But of course we cant judge Firaxis before we actually know if the f-15 becomes obsolete or not, and Firaxis has never let me down before and I dont think they will this time either.
    If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.
    And destroy you. -Maxi Jazz, Faithless

Comment

When you want to have your GA is your own opinion, there's a whole thread on it and they can't agree. As to America getting the late CU I think that Germany's is late too. It almost certainly will be made obsolete.

How will a stupid thing like having "the Americans better" make people want to pirate it more? People pirate games because
      a)they're lazy
      b)they're cheap
      c)they're "screwing the establishment"
      d) it gives them a thrill
      e) they want to demo the game
      Why pirate a game because of a particular design?
      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
      New faces...Strange places,
      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Because you are mad at the developers and dont want them to get any money but you still wants to play the game?

(really, i download alot of bad games but i buy the ones i really really like. If civ3 is good i will buy it)
        If you place a thing into the center of your life, that lacks the power to nourish. It will eventually poison everything that you are.

Comment

im not really worrying about whether the american jet will last forever or not. firaxis (better of) seen which way works best in testing.

Comment

Originally posted by DonJoel

well the other civilizations special units isnt so special either but they aint around forever... And remember that getting your special unit late also triggers the golden age late which is an advantage.

I hope Firaxis realize that making America get this cheating bonus doesnt look very good, I think that making your own country be better than others is a little bit low and will only encourage people to pirate the game.

But of course we cant judge Firaxis before we actually know if the f-15 becomes obsolete or not, and Firaxis has never let me down before and I dont think they will this time either.

Cheating bonus how? Own country better how? Pirate the game why?

None of the special units posted so far have been overpowering in the least bit and I really doubt the F-15 will be either. How is America's unit "cheating"? All special units can trigger the golden age for the respective empire and from what has been said it can also be triggered by peaceful means so how is it cheating?

Is getting this golden age late in the endgame better than early? Somehow I think it'll depend on a persons style of play but then again since we have no idea yet why are you *****ing about it? There will be more than enough time to cry about it after the game is out and everyone knows what the effect is.

As for causing people to pirate the game thats about the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. If something in a game ticks you off you dont want to play it much less pirate it.

As for it lasting forever I'm betting it will. Why goto all the trouble of adding the special units if they didnt? If they didnt why not just say America gets +1 or whatever to its jet fighter for a certain number of turns after the first one has been built and use that open slot for another unit that everyone can use.
            The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

by the way, the f-22s being tested now are next generation fighters that will replace all fighters mentioned here

Newsflash: the f-22 is past the test phase, and has moved into the production phase. The Airforce ordered some 300 odd f-22's, IIRC.
              -connorkimbro
              "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Shiva your stupid. All specail unit will be obsolete but not the f-15 and that is wrong.
                Which means that you could use your f-15 for 300 turns if you wish but the other civ special units perhaps last 20 turns.
                Last edited by DonJoel; September 23, 2001, 02:40.

Comment

Shiva your stupid. All specail unit will be obsolete but not the f-15 and that is wrong.
                  Which means that you could use your f-15 for 300 turns if you wish but the other civ special units perhaps last 20 turns.
                  How can you be so sure? I presume that the Jet Fighter (which is the regular version of the American F-15) is NOT the ultimate fighter plane in the game. There was a Stealth Fighter in the earlier Civ games, so why could it not be included this time?
                  Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Patriqvium i hope you are right but I dont think so since we havent heard anything about a stealth fighter. But you never know until firaxis tell us if it is so or not.

Comment

Newsflash: the f-22 is past the test phase, and has moved into the production phase. The Airforce ordered some 300 odd f-22's, IIRC.
                      cool. more proof that the f-22 is the best fighter out there, whether it costs a billion dollars or not ...

Comment

Easy, people, let's not start calling each other names because we all share at least two things:

1) All of us want to play Civ3
                        2) Neither of us know ANYTHING yet about the game.

Save some hostility for Zulu diplomatic negotiations, ~6 weeks from now.

Comment

Easy, people, let's not start calling each other names because we all share at least two things: 1) All of us want to play Civ3 2) Neither of us know ANYTHING yet about the game. Save some hostility for Zulu diplomatic negotiations, ~6 weeks from now.
                          this message should be in all threads. some people just like to squabble, bicker, fight, yell, argue and throw beer bottles...

Comment

Why you little ..... I'll THROW WHATEVER I WANT!!!!!!

I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                            New faces...Strange places,
                            Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                            -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Calm down child.

First off not all special units will be obsolete or did you forget about the Panzer? It will show up before the F-15 so I guess that would blow your whine about them making America the best since it will goto the end of the game also. In your arguement that should make the Panzer a worse offender yet you say nothing (nice signature btw) for some odd reason about Germany.

Also I'd still love for you to tell us it unbalances the game as your stated:
                              No, i dont think they will be so stupid that they would imbalance the game on purpose.
                              Since we dont know the stats of the F-15 how do you know that it unbalances the game as you state above? If it gets something like one more attack factor how does that unbalance the game since everyone else will have a unit that is just a little worse. Doesnt sound unbalancing in the least and surely less unbalancing than the Panzer.

Maybe some special units will only be effective for a short amount of time before you dont want to build them anymore however trying to scare everyone by giving numbers like you did 300 to 20 is dishonest at best and pure fear mongering at worst with nothing to base it on. I'd really love to see a game played where Knights are not worth a damn afte only 20 turns

Maybe you think that making through everyone else Golden Ages and special units will be a cakewalk. Somehow I dont think so but if thats what you think sail on brother. Maybe you should have more faith in Sid.
                              The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.

Comment

Why you little ..... I'll THROW WHATEVER I WANT!!!!!!
                                *takes a swing at mac*
                                if i werent drunk, id beat the crap outta ya. but i am, so pass me a bottle

Comment

Working...
                                X