Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most disappointing NON-IMPROVEMENT revealed at Civ3.com IS...(ATTENTION FIRAXIS!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Clark
    Why?!? Just save a copy of the original rules.txt and create/download one that has all of your favorite civs in there. Folks have modified rules.txt all of the time in Civ2, it's not a big deal.
    And it's not a big deal for Firaxis to add a pull down menu
    We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Hey, Lord of the Mark, are you PC or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        As far as I can tell it's "neither." Sort of like what you can do in Civ 1.
        i fail to see the "third way"

custom civs either replace a default civ or is added to the list of default civs. what other possibility is there?
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Could anyone sum up the practical problems there were in CTP (and CTP2?) when you expanded the number of civs beyond 8 in a game? Didn’t your processor overheat or something like that?
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
            Could anyone sum up the practical problems there were in CTP (and CTP2?) when you expanded the number of civs beyond 8 in a game? Didn’t your processor overheat or something like that?
            Yes indeed. In fact, the sample copy of CTP that was sent to Sid Meier as a gift had this disastrous effect on poor Sid's 386, scorching the silicon beyond repair. Beware!

Comment

Hmmm...

If the civ names are contained in a .txt file, then at least you could alter the names and replace the Civ names with your versions. On the other hand, if it's not in a .txt file. . .
              "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that whoever believes will not perish but have eternal life" -- John 3:16

Comment

Sorry doublepost...the post function is acting up...

Comment

It is possible that the screen change to a dropdownbox if you add more civs, or that an option: Other and then a dropdownbox is added.

We don't know anything, and regarding the screens that wouldn’t look good, they may have alternate screens for them too.
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

my concern is what color each civ is.

i always play the Romans, so i have never played against the Celts or the Russians, as the Romans. THAT SUX.

out of those 16 civs, how many colors are there?

if i choose the Romans in a MP game, will that mean another civ will be eliminated by default because of color?
                    Where I've been

SAVE THE TREES...wipe your ass with an owl:)

Comment

I might be wrong here but surely if you alter the civs in the menu, it will cause problems with the special units. For example if you modified the Japanese to be the Celts, the Celts' special unit would be the Samurai. But that would mess the game up and it wouldn't make sense.

Comment

I'm sure you can take a normal unit, modify it, and assign it to the ex-Japanese as their Celtic special unit. Sure, it won't be special looking, but it is better than nothing. I've read somewhere else that you can use "classic" civ2 rules, which I presume means no unique units, civ bonuses, and maybe only 6 opponents. I'm also sure that Firaxis will release "generic" civ animations to supplement a custom civ. Have some patience, people, and wait until the game actually comes out to knock it this much. Most of the arguments I've seen are all based on screenshots and a vague sentence or two someone saw. And you can always return it, get your money back, and buy a new game if it is unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                          Shh. Don't mention those games in these hallowed halls. You have to remember that absolutely no improvements have been made to the genre since Civ 2 went gold. None. No. Some Firaxians even had to have medical treatment to remove all memory of SMAC too. That way they can herald this game as a miracle of modern technology that offers the most customisability, best graphics and undisputedly advanced gameplay in all areas.

No TBS game has ever worked out how to cope with more than 8 players or customisation inside the main screens. MOO2? SE4? Space games that can't possibly have anything to do with this conversation either. I'm imminently expecting the announcement of the revolutionary (but prudent) Colonisation II incorporating even more never-before-seen features like SVGA graphics (in limited screens only) and perhaps the addition of the Natives as a playable race (assuming the Portugese are removed).
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by General Maximus
                            my concern is what color each civ is.
                            It doesn't appear that a civ's color is a set thing, or that each of the 16 civs has their own color. I say this because SMAC didn't repeat colors with 14 different factions and I see little reason for Firaxis to repeat that Civ2 mistake. Also, in the Civs Included Apolyton Thread several civs repeat colors, which to me means that if only 8 colors are used, some civs have prefered colors, but not required colors.

Comment

Why is the fact that there are only 16 civ slots such a big deal. The name of a civ doesn't affect the gameplay at all, I couldn't care less if I am playing as the Aztecs or the Romans. anyway I would rather 16 good quality civs than 60 poor ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad
                                Why is the fact that there are only 16 civ slots such a big deal. The name of a civ doesn't affect the gameplay at all, I couldn't care less if I am playing as the Aztecs or the Romans. anyway I would rather 16 good quality civs than 60 poor ones.
                                If you have no interest in what your Civ is called, your leaders are called, your cities are called etc by default then sure, you are playing the expansionist/scientific civ with a tank and a European graphic set. Nothing else matters. Our point is that while Firaxis should not be expected to produce hundreds of civs to the professional quality of the current ones, it would not hurt them to make it convenient for mod makers to do so without overwriting standard ones. It doesn't require additional artwork, just a different approach to designing some of the support screens.
                                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                                H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                                X