Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most disappointing NON-IMPROVEMENT revealed at Civ3.com IS...(ATTENTION FIRAXIS!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks and sorry for being a moron

::meow:: @ kh
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Well, earlier in the 20th century

Maybe I'm not following here, but if you can only play with 8 civs at a time, why does it matter if you have to change the name of one of the 16? Or is this the old "We need 803 civs in every game" argument? If it's the former, just keep a backup copy of civs.txt or whatever and copy it back when you want to play with whatever civs you want. I'm sure it will be an easy process.

If it's the latter, then I am similarly perplexed. If the game is balanced to play with 8 civs, then wouldn't 16 unbalance the game? On a normal map, there is only so much room. I would think it would be much less fun to only be able to have 2 cities as opposed to 6+. Not to mention all of the problems you would have with resources, etc.

It's all a moot point to me. I play with a random civ every time I play civilization. Perhaps it's just me, but maybe it gives slight insight and understanding into each culture's differences. But then again, who am I to preach understanding and insight?
      ----
      "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        Zululand was a well-recognised political entity from earlier this century.
        Wouldn't KwaZulu, or something along those lines b a better name? "Zululand" drips of imperialistic superiority.
        *grumbles about work*

Comment

This reminds me of another problem I noticed. The new diplomacy screen is very nice, where you can see relationships between all the civs as different types of lines. But clearly there's only room for a maximum of 8 on that screen. So how can you play a game with more than 8 civs at once? Its not just a case of adding scrolls bars - you'd need to completely change this to make it work with more than 8 civs. This must be one of the things Dan meant when he said 16 civs were possible, but some of the screens would only work up to 8.

Comment

Why won't FIRAXIS answer this thread?

FIRAXIS, where are you?

I see that you have clarified many trivial questions like "Is this a naked Statue of Liberty?" but you continue to shun this thread which raises a fundamental game play FLAW apparent in Civ 3, one that is a GAME KILLER to many of us!

Dan, could be please clarify just where we currently stand with respect to being able to ADD CUSTOM CIVS TO THE PLAYABLE MIX IN A STANDARD, NON-SCENARIO RANDOM MAP GAME?

Will it be possible? Can it be possible? Or, as it seems from your
            "Player Set Up" screen shot, is Civ 3 just like Civ 2 and totally uncustomizable in that regard (without, perversely, eliminating one of the already built in Civs)?

Dan, could you help us out here by clarifying these questions for us?

Thanks.
            My most wanted Civ III civ which was missing from Civ II: the ARABS!

Comment

Chill out, we haven't seen all the screenshots or setup up screens. While I doubt it, who knows, maybe theres earlier screens that allow you to choose different civs. And why isn't Firaxis answering? They answer only when they want to and usually when the questions are short. With the massive influx in new info and Firaxis Dan already added to the deluge, I doubt there'll be much new information for a little bit to let everyone digest what they already gave out.

Comment

Oh yeah, being that we've already seen an Animal House themed civ in a normal and regular game, so there is little doubt that you can change the Civs around. While it might not be as simple as point and click, its obvious that you can change the civs however you like them. It is not a "Gamekiller" issue as you rant about.

Comment

Without getting into an argument about `play balance' and `slowing to a crawl', I'm very excited about playing with more then eight civs at once, and thus obviously am disapointed that many screens won't support more then eight. I know we'll be able to tweak this number in the text files, but if the game dosn't support it, and you can't see the information then its not much of an option.

I'm cynical enough however, to belive that modified screens and options to play with 16 Civs at once will be one of the selling bullets on the CivIII expansion pack. Would adding scroll bars in this release have been so hard? Probably not...

Mark my words...

(I'm still really excited about the game though, even if this one thing does frustrate me to no end. )

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
                    whats up with "Zulu Land"... is their civ a theme park one?

or is "Zulu Land" a more correct, :sigh:PC:sigh: name? i not the AZTEC EMPIRE is like that because they encompasses more than their native people.

If i hear "PC" used derisively once more (except by Macintosh users of course ) I'm going to scream.

LOTM
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

Custom Civs just are not very important to me; so this doesn't bother me at all. Thier is one feature that is far more important to me then any other feature in the game and that is the bargaining table.

Comment

i agree completely with serapis and steve clark.
                        what is the problem with editing txt files? its very easy if you know anything about computers. also serapis brought up a good point that you havent seen all the setup screens.

but it is rather interesting that firaxis hasn't showed up yet..
                        And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

There are some people who have their heads buried up their arses.

Clearly you can play a customised civ in a standard game, as the screenshot shows.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Clearly you can play a customised civ in a standard game, as the screenshot shows.
                            i dont see anyone arguing that. the question is : did the custom civ replace a default civ or was it added to the list?

less insults in your posts would be something great....
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

As far as I can tell it's "neither." Sort of like what you can do in Civ 1.

BTW Markos how often do I hurl insults? Sometimes however incessant whinings just grind my nerves raw, driving even the most civilised person into a murderous rage.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                                Grim, in that screenshot I see the option to choose 7 opponents, which means there will be 8 civs to play against in a game. That isn’t so dissimilar from civ2, except that the 8th civ were the barbarians. That also means you can play against 7 humans instead of 6 as is the case now.

IMHO that's a nice improvement, albeit a non-revolutionary one.
                                Yeah ok, 8 civs now.

The point is that this means that there is room for editing the remaining civs to your liking -no need for scroll bars, though I admit it would be nice. So I say the "greatest non-improvement" it is not.

Comment

Working...
                                X