Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most disappointing NON-IMPROVEMENT revealed at Civ3.com IS...(ATTENTION FIRAXIS!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkG
    no because i would like to play as the jamaicans without removing a civ
    I suppose you would rather play as that hyper-pc (and ahistorical) black as a Nubian/sub-Saharan African Egyptian Pharaoh. LOL.

Seriously, though, there is great value to many Civers to be able to play as a Civ they identify with culturally and against other Civs they are culturally antagonistic to. It inhances the Civ experience.

Eli, for example, would love to play as his people, the Israelis, no doubt, and against the Arabs, I am guessing. Well, why shouldn't that be a customizable option for him in a standard, random map game? It should be.

And that goes for everyone else too.

It's called creating playability and enhanced enjoyment of the game. Isn't that what game makers are always striving to do? Well, this is a very basic way to do just that. It's simple compared to all the other more subtle and complex improvements Firaxis has already made. It would be so easy and it would mean so much to so many of Civs biggest fans.

Are you listening to my PRIMAL SCREAM Firaxis?
    My most wanted Civ III civ which was missing from Civ II: the ARABS!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      no because i would like to play as the jamaicans without removing a civ
      Just to give you an idea of my ideal Civ set up with Custom Civs, it would be:

Play as the CELTS (who have much more cultural resonance for me than the hated English or the culturally amorphous and relatively new Americans, for the British block) against the other primary Civilizational blocks of the world:

1) The Russians (for the Christian-Orthodox block)
      2) The ARABS (for the Islamic block)
      3) The Chinese (most populous civ in world, the East Asian block)
      4) The Indians (2nd most populous civ in world, Hindu-Bhudist block)
      5) The SPANISH/French/German (for the Western European block)
      6) The INCAS/Aztec/Iroquoix (for the Native American block)
      7) The Zulus (for the sub-saharan African block)

That would be my perfect civ game (if I only get a maximum of 7 opponents) and to achieve it, I would need to add custom civs for the CELTS, ARABS, SPANISH, and INCAS

But, I would also add the ISRAELIS and play with them on occasion (because I like them).

The point is, Civ 3 ought to provide all players the means to do this in a standard, random map game, with whatever custom civs we want to add for whatever reason. Don't you agree?
      Last edited by Arator; August 10, 2001, 04:29.
      My most wanted Civ III civ which was missing from Civ II: the ARABS!

Comment

As much as I would have liked to have been able to play as the Dutch, I don't understand all the commotion.
        Do you realy care once you're say an hour into the game if you're playing as the English, Russians or French?
        To me the only thing that seems important that I'm able to pick a civ that matches my style of play; and if I realy realy want them to be called the Dutch I'm sure I can change some .txt file somewhere.
        Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

This is dissapointing indeed. I'm very excited about the customization tools which I think will be great, but it's a concern that the menus and screens (like the diplo screen) seems very rigid and may not work very well with more civs/altered rules.

Good idea about pull down menus for custom civs, this would mean a lot and be easy to implement.
          We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Arator
            Eli, for example, would love to play as his people, the Israelis, no doubt, and against the Arabs, I am guessing.
            Which reminds me...

Do we have the "obliterate city" option?
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I don’t know whether I’m telling something new here, but deriving from that picture it seem to me that the 7th opponent no longer will be barbarian, so you’ll now have the option to play against 7 complete AI civs or 7 human players.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Maybe they have it like in EU: when it isn't enough space left, a scroll bar automaticly comes up!
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I thought the gameplay was limited to 7 civs, while the choice of opponents is limited to 16.

In that case, it would not matter if there was no 'scrolling option' - you'd just have to edit the civs you didn't want to play with/against, to be able to select a custom civ.

Am I wrong here?

Comment

With the scroll bar, you can add new civs without deleting the other(s). That is better IMO.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Grim, in that screenshot I see the option to choose 7 opponents, which means you can have 8 civs participating in a game. That isn’t so dissimilar from civ2, except that the 8th civ were the barbarians. That also means you can play against 7 humans instead of 6 as is the case now.

IMHO that's a nice improvement, albeit a non-revolutionary one.
                      Last edited by Colonâ„¢; August 11, 2001, 08:04.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Sheesh. I really doubt that any of you will be playing against all of these civs. So just alter the rules.txt file, replace Aztecs with Celts, put in all of their unique attributes and when this screen comes up, click on Celts to play. What's part of that don't you understand?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Clark
                          Sheesh. I really doubt that any of you will be playing against all of these civs. So just alter the rules.txt file, replace Aztecs with Celts, put in all of their unique attributes and when this screen comes up, click on Celts to play. What's part of that don't you understand?!?
                          The thing is that I want to add a civ without being forced to delete an excisting one. If this can be accomplished with simply adding a pull down menu, then they should do just that.
                          We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

whats up with "Zulu Land"... is their civ a theme park one?

or is "Zulu Land" a more correct, :sigh:PC:sigh: name? i not the AZTEC EMPIRE is like that because they encompasses more than their native people.
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Zululand was a well-recognised political entity from earlier this century.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Yog-Sothoth

The thing is that I want to add a civ without being forced to delete an excisting one.
                                Why?!? Just save a copy of the original rules.txt and create/download one that has all of your favorite civs in there. Folks have modified rules.txt all of the time in Civ2, it's not a big deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X