No announcement yet.

List of units in Civ3 based on screen shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One I'm not sure of are the Mongols, but it appears to be their special-trained horse archer, Mangudai, acting as a destroyer.
    Maybe if the Mongols were in the game this would be an interesting question.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

ok here is a new screen shot

if you look closely this shot confirms some unit statistics

it confirms that the bronze working unit is indeed the spearmen (which is the base unit with the hoplite/phalanx being the greek unique)

spearman 1-2-1 cost 20
      catapult 0(4)-0-1 cost 20

the (4) must mean that it has a bombard strength of 4 and that bombard probably works just like it did in SMAC

however notice that they still hadn't replaced the old civ2 heads with the new civ3 heads yet so this screen shot might be fairly old, but most likely unit statistics have changed little since then

so i'm going to predict that a hoplite is an improved spearman 2-2-1 and an impi is 1-2-2

Comment

ok i updated the list since firaxis announced the war chariot, i also put up unit stats for the first time...

ok for my next prediction, since the archer, spearman, and chariot were all variations on a theme: 2.1.1, 1.2.1, 1.1.2
        i suspect that the horseman and swordman will also be variations on a theme...since we know that the swordman is 3.2.1, by rearranging the numbers some that means that the horseman would be 3.1.2...the other two possibilities are 2.1.2 and 4.1.2, with 2.1.2 seeming a little underpowered and 4.1.2 seeming a little overpowered

Comment

Its not a phalanx!

That picture of a 'phalanx' that someone linked to on apolyton isn't! It looks to me like the aztec unit, probably a variation on swordsman or spearman.
          ---Signature under Beta testing---

Comment

They have screenshots of units in here apolyton too, but they seem to have Arab and Mongol special units too, and neither of the civs is in the game...?

Comment

in the newest civ of the week we learn that the hoplite is a 1.3.1 unit...i guess 2.2.1 so i was wrong but oh well

at 1.3.1 for the hoplite this means that the greeks will have wonderful defense so it seems like because they are scientific/commercial they can wall themselves up...just imagine attacking a three unit army of hoplites in a city with walls...it would be nearly impossible in the ancient age to win against that

if anyone has any new screen shots please post them here

Comment

firaxis just revealed a new CSU, the chinese Rider unit, it replaces the kinght for the chinese and is available with Chivalry. the Rider has impressive stats gaining a +1 to both defense and movement bringing its stats to 4.4.3, so the chinese will have a great defender and a powerful attacker because of it's high movement. from what we have seen it appears that the french CSU the musketeer (which is in the middle ages also) will only be 3.4.1, however we do not know about hitpoints, firepower, or cost of the units, so the musketeer might be a better all around unit. it appears that the chinese will be a tough opponent in the early midgame. if the chinese can secure the special resources they need i can easily see chinese players launching a midgame blitzkrieg which although the Rider might not be strong enough to dislodge well fortified troops thee extra movement points for the Rider will allow it to cause havok on an opponent's road system and there for their unit production, happiness, and trade
                Last edited by korn469; September 1, 2001, 02:52.

Comment

Doesn´t phalanx and hoplites need Bronze?
                  And musketeers powder?

As far as I know, Bronze could be a resource. I´ve never seen powder in any resource list.

Comment

Originally posted by korn469

so it looks like civ3 will have either the same amount or one new military units, and five less non military units, for a net loss of maybe as many as four units total (but the nonmilitary units still might be in the game, just not on the tech tree yet, and things are always subject to change)

again if i got something wrong just tell me
                    I guess caravan/freigther are out, and commerce is now based on "trade networks", so have to build roads, ports and airports and stablish good diplomatic relationships in order to commerce.

Don´t know what will happen to diplomat/spy, but I guess that they could be also out of the game map, so probably embasies come automatically at contact (or with some tehcnology or small wonder, really don´t know). And what about spying and bribing?. No clue.

Comment

In another thread, http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=25474, I have a graphical blowup of the unit under military tradition. Seen in zoom, it clearly shows itself to be cavalry unit of some sort.

Perhaps zooms of the other mystery units could show something new.
                      Last edited by Harlan; September 1, 2001, 15:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan
                        In another thread, http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=25474, I have a graphical blowup of the unit under military tradition. Seen in zoom, it clearly shows itself to be cavalry unit of some sort.

Perhaps zooms of the other mystery units could show something new.
                        I think you have resized it more then possible
                        I can't make anything out of that (more then three legs and a shadow.) Did I just say three legs? That must be an animal then. Or am I mistaking myself due to the big size.

Let me tell you; I have no idea whenever it is a horse or not. (FIRAXIS: Give us a better picture, or tell us what this unit is)
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Does somebody have a Screenshot of the Battleship and Destroyers? I have yet to see those...

Comment

ajbera said
                            I think it's almost certain that within a couple months of Civ3's release, someone will offer a mod that adds the missing units from Civ2, restructures and expands the tech tree, adds the missing wonders, etc. Of course, this is all conditional on the editing tools being as flexible as Firaxis claims, but mark my words - you'll see the mod within 2 months.
                            Based on what I have seeen so far, I've already started planning it !

Still waiting to see what the constraints of Civ 3 will be (See my post to FIRAXIS seeking answers for Modmakers) - and still curious as to how many animations from other Civ3 scenarios can be recycled and / or if Civ2-ToT animations can be used (very unlikely I would guess)

Comment

I've figured out what the unit is for the Chivalry tech: the Samurai. Check out this website art, which is reproduced on this thread:

Its the exact same baggy pants guy, in the exact same pose (reaching for his sword). Does this mean the Samurai is not a special unit (as in CTP)? I don't think so. I think a couple of other special units snuck into the early tech trees that we've seen so far. Look at the ships under Magnetism. There are no less than three, and this comes right on the heels of another ship under Astronomy just two techs back. Furthermore, we know the English special unit is the Man o' War, so it makes perfect sense that one of the three under Magnetism is the English special unit.

Also, it looks to me that Mass Production has two submarines under it, and I recall one preview specifically mentioned the phrase U-Boat, not submarine. Could the U-Boat be the German special unit? Furthermore, one of them is greyish, and the other black, and black is the how U-Boats are typically depicted. But wait, you say, the German special unit is the Panzer tank! We've just seen that the Russian special unit has been changed to the Cossack, so if they changed that one, perhaps they changed the German one too. They probably tried out more than one special unit for several civs, to see which one worked best for playbalance reasons. Or, perhaps the Germans have two special units. If you don't get your special unit until very late in the game, perhaps you're entitled to special compensation (could the Americans be getting the F-15 AND the Abrams tank, another graphic we've seen?).

PS- Gramphos, you did see three legs! Doesn't anyone else see that (the horse unit under Military Tradition)? With there being one horse unit there, that would make sense as the place for the Cossack to be, and there's blank spots for it. Which makes me think: every special unit has been like a regular unit, plus some extra stats, so what would the Samurai be like, if its the only unit under Chivalry? Maybe it isn't a special unit after all. Also, with Chivalry a technological dead-end, it couldn't be a tech just for the Japanese - it has to be a general unit.

Sorry for changing my mind mid-post - I'm thinking as I type. Special unit or not, its a picture of a Samurai.

Comment

well we have two new CSUs the Persian Immortal and the Indian War Elephant.

Immortal 4.2.1
                                The Persian Immortal replaces the swordman (Iron Working) and has upgraded attack ability, giving the persians a heavy hitter. The Immortal will require iron to build. I don't see any special strategies the Immortal would provide, but it would still give the Persians an advantage in the ancient era.

War Elephant 4.3.2
                                The Indian War Elephant replaces the knight (Chivalry), and though its stats are not upgraded it has one huge advantage, that being the War Elephant doesn't require any special resources to build, unlike the knight which requires both Iron and Horses. So this would mean that the Indians could establish forward bases outside of their trade grid which could build War Elephants, it would also lower the effect that raids against the Indian road network would have on them, and lastly the Indians could use the extra special resources as trade items. One last advantage would be a resource poor map wouldn't effect the Indians.

Has anyone else noticed that both the Chinese Rider and the Indian War Elephant which are Middle Ages units received two upgrades while all of the units from the Ancient Era only received one upgrade? Does the epoch your CSU comes in determine how many upgrades it will get? For example will the F-15 receive four upgrades?

Harlan

i think you need to get an eye check up

but seriously

under Mass Production, the first unit is an aircraft carrier, the second unit is a submarine, and the third unit is a battleship

there will only be one CSU per civ, and i don't think the CSU are represented by either pictures or blank spaces in any of the tech charts we have seen

Comment

Working...
                                X