No announcement yet.

List of units in Civ3 based on screen shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so my theory is they renamed the phalanx to spearman, and that the greek special unit is a hopelite like you said snapcase...

here is what the pc.ign preview said

Instead of swordsmen, Rome will have Legions. The Greeks replace spearmen with Hoplites. The English make use of the Man-o-War instead of the Frigate while the French create Musketeers. The American F-15 replaces the basic jet fighter and the German Panzer gives them the edge over normal tanks.
    Last edited by korn469; August 14, 2001, 05:43.

Comment

ok i updated the industrial and modern ages...so this looks like it is the complete civ3 unit list

also here are the civ2 units that don't appear to be in civ3

Alpine Troops
      Caravan
      Cavalry
      Crusaders
      Cruiser
      Diplomat
      Dragoons
      Elephants
      Engineers
      Fanatics
      Freight
      Partisans
      Spy

and here are the new units

long bow (invention)
      the unit under democracy (it looked like a cavalry unit but it isn't in the most recent screen shot)
      unidentified ship (magnetism)
      imperial guard (military tradition)
      Conscripts (nationalism)
      ww2 tanks (motorized transportation)
      nuclear sub (fission)
      ICBMs (space flight)
      jet fighter (rocketry)

so it looks like civ3 will have either the same amount or one new military units, and five less non military units, for a net loss of maybe as many as four units total (but the nonmilitary units still might be in the game, just not on the tech tree yet, and things are always subject to change)

again if i got something wrong just tell me

Comment

We knew that the caravans were out of the game, but did we know that spies and diplomats were out?

I find this great news. It hints at not only an increased amount in the diplomacy menu but also the fact that their will probably some degree of espionage included on that diplomacy menu. Hopefully giving us more options to spy on our neighbors with and at the same time less to micromanage.

korn, I haven't looked hard at the military units on the tech tree but my question is that if there is no egineer is there going to be a new worker unit? Or will we only have to have one type? Interesting if we could build a worker unit at the beginning of the game and at the end have that unit terraforming the planet.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

If you look at the "screenshot of many units" that tends to appear every few weeks, you will see a unit I suspect to be a diplomat in top left corner of the landmass.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

It was noted in another thread that there probably are "empty spots" on the chart... for example:

http://www.gamespydaily.com/screensh...ex.asp?id=3190

Under Metallurgy, there is the red X that, we assume, shows what Wonder gets made obsolete by this tech's discovery... alas there in no picture under the X... there are other techs that seem to have other missing spaces.

It may be safe to say the Great Wall wonder will be her, but as of this screenshot, it is not. So I think we should concentrate on what is there as opposed to what is not... for now at least.
            "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
            "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
            "I think it would be a good idea."
            - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

This is taken form
              Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
              I guess you should have thought of that before your requested the preference feature . It will be balanced for both rule settings, since the civilization specific units are based on generic units (i.e. the Zulu Impi is a spearmen unit, but with a move of 2).

Jeff
              This tellst you that there is a Spearmen unit. Anyway, we have seen both Phalanx and Warior animations.
              The spearmen might replace the pikemen. Do we have a text that says it is a pikemen unit?
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                This is taken form

This tellst you that there is a Spearmen unit. Anyway, we have seen both Phalanx and Warior animations.
                The spearmen might replace the pikemen. Do we have a text that says it is a pikemen unit?
                We have the animation of a Phalanx which is probably just a hoplite that was misidentified. Which of course means we have the animation of the Greeks special unit.
                About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

There is a Pikeman unit in the "many units" screenshot. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted at civ3.com (actually www.firaxis.com)
                    Want to trade your World Map and Bronze Working for a Spearman and Communications with the Indians?
                    This proves that you don't need Bonze Working to be able to build Spearmen (As the one you trade with have a Spearman and don't have Bronze Working).

Edit: Stupid URL parse disabled
                    Last edited by Gramphos; August 15, 2001, 04:21.

Comment

And there "must" be Phalanx as Firaxis made that unit animation. It was actually one of the first units to be released.

Comment

Re: List of units in Civ3 based on screen shots

[SIZE=1]

Industrial Age
                        *Flight: Fighter, Bomber
                        *Amphibious Warfare: Marine
                        *Mass Production: Aircraft Carrier, Submarine, Battleship
                        *Motorized Transportation: Tank
                        *Advanced Flight: Paratrooper, Helicopter
                        It would be very sad, if all these Units are bases in the Ind. Age!! Someone should read his books better....

Comment

Depends on your definition of "Industrial Age". "Industrial Revolution" was the old term, and that covers mostly the 19th century. However, the "Industrial Age" goes on until at least the fifties if not to 1968. I'd rename the "Modern Age" here the "Post-Modern Age" (The "Modern Age" should cover 1789 to the end of the Industrial era a few decades ago), but n/m.

Comment

I still don't understand why did they remove 3 (!!!) horse-based units?
                            If I accept and understand the removal of Crusaders (there was very little difference between knights and crusaders, anyway), I certainly don't like that both the Dragoons and Cavalry units are gone! How the hell should I conquer now a city, defended by pikemen or, even worse, by musketmen, without any powerful horseback-unit ?! Now I'll have to wait for the 20th century to use a tank, I guess!

Damn, the Dragoon was one of my favorite units! I conquered many times cities with dragoons or cavalry.

Am I wrong or we won't have any powerful offesive unit between knights and tanks?
                            "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                            --George Bernard Shaw
                            A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                            --Woody Allen

Comment

I've just realized that the elephants are gone, too. Can somebody explain me why did they remove 4 mounted units ??!!

I don't like this at all
                              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

I think it's almost certain that within a couple months of Civ3's release, someone will offer a mod that adds the missing units from Civ2, restructures and expands the tech tree, adds the missing wonders, etc. Of course, this is all conditional on the editing tools being as flexible as Firaxis claims, but mark my words - you'll see the mod within 2 months.

When CtP2 came out, and WesW and company created the MedMod to improve faulty gameplay, they added the units from CtP1 that had been left out of the sequel, as well as added several others they felt were missing. I'm looking forward to some enterprising modder performing a similar act for Civ3.

Hell, I hope someone adds some future techs and units to Civ3 and creates a quality mod that will let us take our civ from 4000 BC to 2500 (or so) AD. I know several future enthusiasts who would also appreciate it.

Provided the rules and other text files are modifiable enough (I'm thinking CtP standards - Activision may have screwed up royally in certain areas, but they did this right) we should see several incarnations of the "perfect" Civ3 mod, and one is bound to find a version to their liking. While I think Civ3 will be good enough to play for quite a while as is, seeing the improvements fans have made to the CtP games makes me eagerly anticipate what improvements can be made to Civ3.

Comment

Working...
                                X