Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About added RR-move related cosmic rule

A railroad-related cosmic rule should be added to the Rules.txt file:
    A maximal railroad move-radius input-variable of your choice (0 = infinite), regardless of land unit-type.

(If you put in "12", for example: it means that each and every land-unit have a fixed range of 12 tiles, as long as they move on railroaded tiles. Choosing "0" means infinite moves on railroads - as in Civ-2).
    Yes, but "fixed RR-moves" should be game-default
    55.32%
    Yes, but "infinite RR-moves" should be game-default
    36.17%
    It doesnt matter. Just add it.
    8.51%
    Last edited by Ralf; June 6, 2001, 12:42.

Ralf, jag känner mig tvingad att rösta Ja...

I feel forced to vote Yes
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

What idiot wouldnt vote YES for non-infinite RR?

Comment

I would vote with a qualified "Yes" in that, I do think that there should be a limit to how far you can move on a railroad, but I also feel that there railroads should also have a Cosmic rule covering "Capacity" (how many of each unit type can you fit on a single railroad tile) and "RR ownership" (ie. if you don't control any of the cities at either end of a railroad, you can't use it unless it belongs to an ally). I also feel that you should only be able to access a railway from a city or from an appropriate tile improvement adjacent to a railway.

Anyway, you did ask.

The_Aussie_Lurker

Comment

There should be a rule, say 12 movement in a line;
          1. It gets tedious moving the troops
          2. It is a potential game winner if you get the RR before your opponents do.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
            2. It is a potential game winner if you get the RR before your opponents do.
            Thanks to unlimited RR-moves, I could again & again completely overrun otherwise powerful end-game AI-civs, by pick-and-choose 3-4 of the most attractive Wonder-cities (often deeply embedded within enemy territory) + 2-3 of the major AI key-cities, within that first critical turn. It was not so much that these cities where weakly defended: they often had attack-potent bombers, missiles and whatnot. But because of the unlimited RR-rule (and by all means; the overpowerful howitzer + non-existing HP armament-restrictions), they simply didnt get a sporting chance.

With above feature implemented you could fine-tweak the RR-move rule to a fixed rate of 12, 14, 16, 20 or even infinite moves. A small and easily added tweak-feature with really big-impact gameplay consequences.

Comment

Double post. My finger slipped out.
              Last edited by Maniac; June 9, 2001, 10:29.
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
                What idiot wouldnt vote YES for non-infinite RR?
                Now that isn't really friendly, is it? What would you say if I told you: "What idiot would be christian?" Respect people with a different opinion. As far as current science can tell, the universe has no meaning. As a consequence, no belief can reasonably claim it's better than any other. They're all just wishful thinking.
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

The advantage to infinite railroad is that it combats some of the end-game micromanagement and tedium.

Of course, it is totally abused be every Civ'er out there and the new Civ will (hopefully) make the game less tedious and more focused on slightly fewer cities.

Instead of limiting infinite railroad, however, I'd prefer a system in which it is not possible to utilize an opponent's railroad system without sacrificing some movement points (consider it time spent "capturing" the rail). These railroad systems would be a reflection of overall territory.

The reason I like infinite railroad is because each turn is effectively one year and it simulates it quite nicely IMO. I also like the air-drops....

Comment

Booo....Biased poll

Keep it infinite...screw the limited RR. Better would be to extend airplane movement by creating unlimited flight through controlled/allies cities with airports to equalize the extended range problem

Comment

I think that rail movement should be unlimited. Remember that each turn represents a minimum of a year. There should be some way to limit use of an enemies rails though. It shouldn't be possible to land on an enemy's shores and immediately overrun him via his own rails. Since Civ 3 is supposed to have borders (isn't it?) it should be possible to make a rule that no unit can use an enemies rails, thereby effectively preventing someone from using his enemy's railroads during an attack. The player would have to land (or invade by land) and establish new borders, and then he'd be able to use the new rails, but only within his zone. Alternatively, you could allow a player to use "scorched earth", i.e., rip up the rails ahead of an enemy, but allow the opposition to repair a certain sized zone each turn.

Frankly I'd like to see movement allowances for modern and early modern eras made more realistic. Modern ships should be able to sail or steam around the earth in less than a year! Game balance would be restored by introducing supply and support rules.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                        Booo....Biased poll

Keep it infinite...screw the limited RR.
                        You dont get it, do you. You CAN screw the limited RR option, by choosing "0" as your RR-movement variable. Is it biased to promote such a tweakable text-file rule to make it the players own free choice?

Comment

Hmmm...

There are other methods to fix the problem other than limiting RR movement as previously suggested.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf
                            You dont get it, do you. You CAN screw the limited RR option, by choosing "0" as your RR-movement variable. Is it biased to promote such a tweakable text-file rule to make it the players own free choice?
                            I do get it, I don't want a feature that has been a constant of the current civ series to be changed, thereby requiring way too much time to tweak, time better spent, in my opinion, tweaking and debugging the rest of the game so that it comes out by Xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by SerapisIV
                              I do get it, I don't want a feature that has been a constant of the current civ series to be changed, thereby requiring way too much time to tweak, time better spent, in my opinion, tweaking and debugging the rest of the game so that it comes out by Xmas.
                              No offense, but It really looks like you grasping for straws here.

Its not exactly an entirely new feature we are talking about. Its just an added tweak-variation of the same old concept: the RR ground-unit universal movement-rule.

The key-word here is "unit universal". Also, any once-and-for-all RR-move tweaks is likely to stay unchanged & generic throughout the entire game (and game after game) - regardless of different game-situations.

In the Rules.txt files let you tweak each and every unit, city-improvement, wonder, terrain-type, terrain-improvement, government-type or science-tech in every possible screwed-up combinations & variations you possibly can imagine. Why then should this little added RR move-option suddenly require months and months of added playtesting and bug-squashing?

------------ edited:
                              I found this in the Civ-2 Rules.txt file:

"@COSMIC
                              3 ; Road movement multiplier"

You can change above "3" variable to something else, if you want to. Why not add a RR fixed movement range variable as well? Especially since the poll clearly show that a majority really dont prefer unlimited RR-moves.
                              Last edited by Ralf; June 13, 2001, 18:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X