Firaxis off on the wrong foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firaxis off on the wrong foot

Rumor floats that Civ4 will be a mission based game, starting with limited maps to complete, with larger maps available, then rinse and repeat. This is awful, it is not Civ and we ought to let them know right now that if they want to do that sort of game, fine, just do it as a spinoff and do not crap up any small chance that we might get a quality Civ4 product.

No way!

Where did you hear this?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

He made it up, I'm sure

Comment

No, I did not.

Comment

Honestly, I maybe spiced it a tad, but either here or at civfantics a firaxian was talking about this concept. Sounded like a trial balloon to me. I can't place the thread just now.

Comment

I haven't seen that, jt. If true, I'd chime in with you in a heartbeat. From what I know, Civ4 is intended to be a logical extension.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Re: Firaxis off on the wrong foot

Originally posted by jimmytrick
              Rumor floats that Civ4 will be a mission based game, starting with limited maps to complete, with larger maps available, then rinse and repeat. This is awful, it is not Civ and we ought to let them know right now that if they want to do that sort of game, fine, just do it as a spinoff and do not crap up any small chance that we might get a quality Civ4 product.
              Rumor
              -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Does not pass the smell test.

Comment

/me sniffs

Well, I DID have fish for dinner.....

Seriously, jt, if you find a link to this, please post it ASAP, OK?

Cheers - I think this would concern us ALL.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I don't believe it. If it were true, it would be an absolute atrocity and I think the outcry of protest would be in unison.

Comment

Yeah. No way in hell that this would happen. Even if hell froze over this wouldn't happen.

Comment

May be Civ4 will have a mission based tutorial. That would make sense and explain the rumor (assuming it exists, haven't heard it yet except for this thread).

Comment

I'm guessing he's talking about this post...

Comment

That's probably Jesse rambling rather than a definitive statement about Civ4 features.
                            Seemingly Benign
                            Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Jimmytrick, you've misconstrued Jesse's words.

He isn't talking about mission based civ, though a modder could do that if he wanted. He's not turning this into warcraft or something, build five cities in this scenario then move onto a larger map.

He's talking about increasing the map size (or map awareness would be more appropriate) through time, or what ever parameter is in place (era, tech, etc). I for one love this idea (and said so in that thread posted above) To me this would give a much more interesting experience, and more realistic. No more 4000bc warrior travelling around the globe. did people in, say, Germany know of people in India in 3000BC? Well, I have no clue, but I doubt it. They knew of their immediate neighbors and some others. In a game like this, you would start in, say, Kansas (random Rock Chalk selection), build cities there, conquer an enemy or two, then expand into, say, Colorado and Nebraska etc. all the while being able to move further and further out from your cities. Eventually you could see all of N. America and S. America, and then finally the world.

I think this would be implemented similar to the ToT multimaps,ie you can play the old standard civ XXXxXXX map or you can play the ever expanding universe.

So I think you're horribly misconstruing Jesse's post by calling it "mission-based", though he does acknowledge what modders could do with this.

Like I said in that thread, when I think of my ideal civ game in bed at night (!) I think of something similar to this.

I see this as evolving civ from an game where you have a bunch of individual cities, nearly autonomous units, to where you start off as a city state, like Ur or whatever, and through time you develop into a nation like what we have today.

Comment

Working...
                              X