Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of breakin' out Civ 3 again. What should I know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realisations that must be made

1) When you fight, bring BIG stacks, not few (as already mentioned)

2) When at war, have allies - or expect the AI to dogpile on you

3) Expect to AI to be a good expander. Although at Chieftain, it's infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired.

4) Big score = territory + pop. NOTHING else. Future tech may as well not exist

5) Big tech leads = almost impossible to get. Can be done, don't rely on it happening. Rely on your 'smacky' stacks instead to win your wars

6) 1 worker per city, at least. like the 1 settler per city idea before, in the other games

There's a lot more to it than that, but you can't go far wrong on chieftain knowing that lot. Besides, like they said above, you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk

P.S. No improvements help the luxury rate. This does NOT mean the slider will never be useful. Just bear it in mind for now, I don't want you to suffer like me and leave it for 18 months
    It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
    She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

Well, I don't seem to be doing to badly on this Chieftan game. I read the manual and started over as the Persians - their industry and science bonuses are more my style. I do have the tech lead, and have used my raging hordes of Immortals against the hapless Egyptians - dare to exist on my continent, willya?

One thing I've discovered is that in the early game it's preferable to just raze a city and plop one of your settlers in that spot rather than worry about dissent and upheavals as I continue to prosecute the war against my newly-conquered cities forebears. Unless there's a Wonder there, of course, but even then... is keeping an expired Lighthouse worth the hassle of pacifying the city? Yeah, you get culture points, but that's about it...

Next to be destroyed are the Iroqouis...

Comment

You can play every way in Chieftain and still win, but generally you should try to keep cities in that early stage of the game, unless they are really badly placed. The flipping chance and the resistance are still low, they will significantly grow in later stages, as the other civs gain population and culture. It's easy to keep early cities. It's hard to keep big metropolises with 10+ resistors and lots of drafting unhappiness.

Comment

That's true. But... "drafting unhappiness"? Is that an actual game term or is that another way of saying "war-weariness"? (I hope that doesn't sound snarky, I'm just a bit confused.)

Comment

Re: I'm thinking of breakin' out Civ 3 again. What should I know?

The 1 thing that you should know is that Civ is a Timesink.

Prepare and account for that, and all else will fall into place.

Steven
            "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Drafting is seperate from WW. Civs under pressure will draft units as often as they can and create a lot of unhappy citizens, in addition to WW.

Comment

Understanding the culture flip formula greatly reduces the frustration caused by flips. Most of those early cities are safe as long as your culture is comparable (check the culture graph for relative size). Also make sure you starve them down 1 pop as any further growth will be of your own nationality and so will reduce the flip chance. The total culture in that city before will play a part, so wonder capital should have a larger garrison if you want to keep it.

You need nationalism tech (industrial age) to draft.

I remember hardly anything about civ 2. Number 3 has caused a total eclipse of the brain.
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                  That's true. But... "drafting unhappiness"? Is that an actual game term or is that another way of saying "war-weariness"? (I hope that doesn't sound snarky, I'm just a bit confused.)
                  What vmxa1 said. The AI drafts a lot after Nationalism is discovered (the pre-requisite for draft), if cities are in danger. You can see this if you click on an unhappy citizen and (s)he says: "No more drafting! Hell no, we won't go", whereas after pop rushing they say: "We can not forget the cruel oppression you bore upon us".

Back to the early cities: You should mainly keep them, because each city represents the 30 shields and 20 food you'd need for a settler. This is an asset especially in the early game, when shields are rare and food surplus is precious due to the production penalty under despotism. Additionally: The AI "sees" later resources even if you don't (some people call this cheating, I call it an understandable advantage) and often plopps its cities close to them. So the resource is yours if you take the city as it is.

Comment

I agree in the main that captured cities early in the game are like found gold and should be held. Some exceptions exist of course.

It is late in the game that I would consider a raze and found a new one. This occurs for me when happy citizens are an issue and I have lots of size 12 cities with no hospitols or I have not learn that tech. Now I can drop a settler in a hurry or for cash.
                    The city regrows quickly and it cost me little. I can free up the troops for more captures.

Comment

Being myself also a restarter of Civ3 (similarly, I played it a little, didn't feel like Civ2, and moved on), I have to say this time around it's more fun. You just can't do a lot of the things that you could in Civ2, like grabbing a huge tech lead early on, expand like crazy until you get howitzers, etc. The AI will gang up on you early on if you don't pay attention, and two spearmen per city is the minimum, from what I can tell..

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                        It is late in the game that I would consider a raze and found a new one. This occurs for me when happy citizens are an issue and I have lots of size 12 cities with no hospitols or I have not learn that tech. Now I can drop a settler in a hurry or for cash.
                        The city regrows quickly and it cost me little. I can free up the troops for more captures.
                        Aeson once published a neat trick, called "Recycling Blitz". It works after the discovery of Recycling (Modern Age). When you sell improvements then, you get not only gold, but 25% of the shields back. Now imagine, you just captured a big fat size 24 city full of resistors and unhappiness. Set the production to settler and sell improvements, till the shield box is full. This way, the settler will be ready next turn despite of the resistance (you normally can't rush if there are resistors in the city) and even if the city riots. The city doesn't flip back in the first turn. I can't prove this, but I never saw it happen, and Aeson mentioned it too. Next turn abandon the city, thus getting rid of all the resistance and eventually riots and refound it with the just built settler. It will have one foreign citizen. Violà, you just made a city content in only one turn.

Comment

Yes I have done that many times. I like it especialy when I am just starting to get a foot hold on their land. I am force to hold these large metros and will use the sale of factories as they are worthless for those cities with the corruption.
                          Once I run out of the need or shields for settlers I will go to workers. These can be bought once resistance is over to get the pop down to a reasonable level.

Just remember things like banks yield no shields, only gold. I also want to rid myself of polluting structures as I will not be getting any anti pollution ones.

Comment

Working...
                          X