C3C - Epic Game Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominae
    Therefore I feel it was a good decision to tone it down a bit.
    Maybe you can shed some light on this, Dominae... I've always thought it was odd, in the SP game, with cultural linking on, the Aztecs always started near the Mediterranean powers. As little as this reflects "cultural linking" reality, I still thought it was a good decision: the masses of Jaguars effectively checked, or having to work a lot harder, by the Hoplites and Num. Mercs. and eventually the Legions of Rome.

With the Jaguar costlier - and hence, slightly less effective as a lemming-like tool of war - has the cultural linking been changed? Will these more expensive Jaguars still bash their heads against the doors of Hippo, or will they have more a field day against the new American powers?
    You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

I'm almost certain that no UU design decisions were made with culturally linkage in mind. If I could venture a guess, I would say that a vast majority of players play without this option.

Dominae
      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I'm almost certain that no UU design decisions were made with culturally linkage in mind. If I could venture a guess, I would say that a vast majority of players play without this option.
        Well, I suppose you're right. :sigh:

In any event, theorhetically cultural linking should put the Aztecs up against the Americans, Iroquois, Incas and Mayans before they go up against the Mediterranean powers. That's a relatively good spread; I hope the Aztecs haven't been too greatly castrated.

Comment

I would say that a vast majority of players play without this option.

yes, definately. I hate knowing that I will be next to the same civs all the time. especially when its carthage, zulu, greece, and rome. blech.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
            yes, definately. I hate knowing that I will be next to the same civs all the time. especially when its carthage, zulu, greece, and rome. blech.
            But the cultural linking often provides such a nice balance... and it's more historically appealing... I've never understood the desire to remove cultural linking, other than to have every game be "unique" and also perhaps to have either a super-challenge or a freshly-paved road to success (for example of the former, try playing as say, Koreans, surrounded by Zulus, Persians, Carthaginians, etc., and for an example of the latter, try playing as Chinese surrounded by Ottomans, English, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
              All still too slow for huge maps.... Oh, well; that's what the editor is there for, right?
              Actually, that's too fast for Small and Tiny maps.

Comment

15 sheilds for a JW???

What if you play accel prod, build Leo's then upgrade a JW to a swordsman, how can you pay 7.5 gold?

Originally posted by JesseSmith
                • Conquistadors – Requires Astronomy instead of Navigation

perhaps RP had something to do with this.
                Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                  Actually, that's too fast for Small and Tiny maps.
                  So ship movement should be dynamic based on what size map you are playing.

I never play anything smaller than 140x140, so I'll just mod them to move faster.
                  "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by OPD
                    15 sheilds for a JW???

What if you play accel prod, build Leo's then upgrade a JW to a swordsman, how can you pay 7.5 gold?
                    You can't, since Invention requires Feudalism and the Swordsman becomes obsolete . You can, however, upgrade him to a MedInf for mere 12.5 gold.

Comment

I haven't been keeping abreast of Conquest related developments as much as I should have, so this question may have been asked and answered before:

Will TOW infantry have some sort of anti-tank attack/defense bonus against armored units? Or will they basically just be infantry with an unusually high defense and a different strat resource requirement than tanks and mech infantry?
                      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
                      -- C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

You can't, since Invention requires Feudalism and the Swordsman becomes obsolete . You can, however, upgrade him to a MedInf for mere 12.5 gold.
                        Perhaps you can only upgrade in pairs?
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Terser
                          Will TOW infantry have some sort of anti-tank attack/defense bonus against armored units? Or will they basically just be infantry with an unusually high defense and a different strat resource requirement than tanks and mech infantry?
                          AIUI (as I understant it) the TOW infantry is a powerful, no resource needed defender.

There are still no unit v unit specialized combat bonuses; and at this point in game development it would be a bad thing to add.
                          "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

Originally posted by OPD

perhaps RP had something to do with this.
                            That's what they were putting their effort into doing!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              Jags now at 15? Ouch. I never like them anyway, though, so no biggie.
                              i guess that's to make the other 1,1,2 UU (Inca's Chasqui Scout Cost: 20) relatively speaking more less weak. but i still don't like ultra-early GAs

Gallics now at 40? YIKES
                              oh my oh my...
                              70 may have been a bit much... but 40????
                              makes it the best swordsman-replacement imho (speed over strength)

Is the "first strike" like a zero-range bombard shot (ala the "AU" mod?)?
                              that's what it looks like!

The curragh is 1.1.2, 15 shields, and can carry how many units? 1 or 2? And if you're seafaring, it's actually 1.1.3, eh? So basically you've got 15 shield galleys?
                              if you look a the source code of the first page, you can clearly see, that the '0' belongs to the "Trans Cap"... maybe a good idea...

general stuff:

i think the ancient cavalry is a lot more powerful that the crusader foot units. the latter are stronger, ok, but very slow... i still prefer regular knights. and getting one every 5 turns doesn't give you enough offensive power, so you'll have to get those cav's anyway.

what traits have the wonders got? there were too few expansionist wonders until now. i hope at least the knights templar is expansionist
                              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Sorry to get OT here... this is a great thread for the units, but can someone point me (and others) in the direction of a thread discussing everything else? New traits, new mandatory/optional techs in the epic game, new rules (I know the minimum time is now 50 turns - wowza!), etc.?

I/we would be most grateful. I think I speak for all of us who can't buy/acquire Conquests today, or soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X