Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, so is it NOW worth it?

Attention Kmart shoppers:

With the patches, xpack, mods, and slow cooking, is Civ3 now worth going back to? (I'm looking for an answer Yin26 can respect.)

I'm serious about this. I wasn't too impressed with the game, but I know things change after time, especially after expansion packs get slapped on.

In a word YES!!

If you want more than that then spend some time reading the forums here.
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

The game is much improved with the later patches to PTW.

As for buying it either go for the gold edition with PTW and Civ3 or wait until Conquests comes out and you will get it all in the one package. Conquests looks very good indeed.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Yepp! Wait for conquests and then it's civ time. Conquests will include the PtW content.

Comment

Wait and get Civ3 + Conquests in a couple of months.

Yes it is worth it, but then again I've said that since the beginning....
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Yes, I think Civ3 has been greatly improved with the patches and expansion packs. Considering Conquests is expected out at the end of October, you might as well wait for that and save some $$$.
            ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
            "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
            Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

This is probably not the place to ask. I say that as most here are going to say yes. We are after all playing the game.
              So what was the issues that you found wanting? Without knowing that, it would be hard to say if the changes address your concerns.

Comment

Yes, it has ALWAYS been worth it, if you ask me.

Comment

Re: ok, so is it NOW worth it?

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                  Attention Kmart shoppers:

With the patches, xpack, mods, and slow cooking, is Civ3 now worth going back to? (I'm looking for an answer Yin26 can respect.)

I'm serious about this. I wasn't too impressed with the game, but I know things change after time, especially after expansion packs get slapped on.
                  If you can find it bundled with the xp for less then $20 I'd say it worth it. Other wise no it is not.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Now that's an answer I can respect!
                    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I'd wait and see whats in the XP. If its just window dressing (new units, buildings, etc) I'd agree with Oerdin. If there are fundamental, extensive, changes to the XP then it may be worth more.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The naysayers are back!

Comment

There's nothing in the game now that will make it more "worth it" than it was when it was first released. Either you enjoy the way Civ3 turned out, or you do not. I cannot imagine the nay-sayers will find any good reason to pick up Civ3 again; the game is essentially the same as it always was.

Why not just accept that it's a matter of personal preference, and leave it at that? Why is it some sort of crime that Civ3 did not (and does not) appeal to everyone, including fans of Civ2?

When RoN came out, I was seriously unimpressed. I debated for a bit as to why I thought it's a so-so game, but realised this was a pointless exercise. The same is true here.

If there's anything that will compel you, it is this: Civ3 is still a popular game, almost two years after its initial release. The "test of time" argument is the only one that I can think of that has any merit, and even then it should not convince players who simply do not like the game to begin playing it again.

Dominae
                          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominae
                            When RoN came out, I was seriously unimpressed. I debated for a bit as to why I thought it's a so-so game, but realised this was a pointless exercise. The same is true here.
                            Well, perhaps because it is a shoddy rip-off of Age of Empires 2 (a true classic).

Comment

Re: ok, so is it NOW worth it?

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

With the patches, xpack, mods, and slow cooking, is Civ3 now worth going back to? (I'm looking for an answer Yin26 can respect.).
                              If your question is 'is it worth your time to play if you have everything installed?' the answer is totally.
                              Last edited by G'Kar; September 3, 2003, 20:39.
                              "It takes you years to learn how to play like yourself." Miles Davis

Comment

Working...
                              X