Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nathan, I say yes.

Aeson,

Ok, not completely, but I'm really worried about immortals coming down those mountains. We need pikemen (spears until feudalism, obviously) up there.

Once I'm confident we can defend ourselves (I really don't have a good concept of how many immortals we're facing, and how many they can produce during their GA to throw at us), I'll be less concerned about diverting resources to civilian production.

I'm also concerned about their ability to land immortals from galleys. They really blew it by landing up in the NE to try and kill a lone warrior. They should have come down and had a shot at a city - go for the jugular. We would have been hard pressed to deal with that. *shudder*

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Oh, one more thing:

Hold off on Feudalism for a bit. We need more money, and I don't want to have to build those 40-shield Med Infs and 30-shield pikemen yet. I'd rather build 20-shield spears and 30-shield swords while staying in range of getting feudalism easily (if we can work it so that we can turn research back on and get Feud in 1 turn, that would be perfect) so we can take advantage of upgrades.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

They have 6 cities. What gov are they in? Are they still in despotism? What is that 24 free units? Their econ can't be good, so even at 100%, they could probably only support what, another 20-30 units? Plus figure in probably at least two garrison units per southern city at least and two-three galleys. If they do land a force on bob, that detracts even more. Before Beta said that they had 6 imms and 6 spears and 2 galleys and a settler to land on Bob. If that mission goes ahead, and they land that entire force, there will be even less for the southern front.

Of course, with the assassination of Grog, Vox has entered their GA.

I think this war just shows that the Vox team is getting tired of the game and wanted to spice it up a bit, my be is that they want to go out in a blaze of glory and dont' really care to win. Seriously, why attack now, wouldn't you want a larger first strike? two immortals five spaces from a city is hardly an invasion force. I was pulling off better attacks my first game of Civ3

Comment

Of course, with the assassination of Grog, Vox has entered their GA...
          [Khan]I SHALL AVENGE YOU![/KHAN]

I think this war just shows that the Vox team is getting tired of the game and wanted to spice it up a bit
          I agree. I'm actually relatively pleased they gave us such a valid pretext to destroy them. Granted, the first few turns of war may be touch-and-go, but after that we outta flatten them.

-Arrian

Comment

Vox had to take out Grog before they could launch a really serious invasion without our seeing it. If they're serious, the immortals on the eastern coast are merely a side show. Although I think there's a fairly strong possibility of a "go out in a blaze of glory" motive; I'd thought about that possibility myself.

Comment

I certainly hope their goal is to go out in a blaze of glory, because if the Bob landing is a ruse and they hit us with everything they have, we could lose cities before we get the firepower to fight back effectively.

Comment

Well, if they take/raze one of our northern 1-2 shield cities, it's not so hard to take. We shouldn't waste too many resources to defend them. What we need to defend with teeth and claws is Tempest and all what's south of it.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                  Of course, with the assassination of Grog, Vox has entered their GA.
                  Now wait a minute, how could they have killed Grog?
                  Which warrior is Grog anyway? The one currently threatened by two immortals?

Would someone clear things up for me please? Have Vox actually killed any of our units yet, or was Asleep simply referring to Grog as effectively dead?
                  If the latter, then it's not necessarily true. In fact, chances are that he'd survive (over 70%; I could calculate the exact probably if you'd like me to). I'm also hoping that we could deny Vox its GA for at least a few more turns.
                  "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                  And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                  Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                  - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Grog was the warrior north of Dissidentville who was watching the road. He's gone now - almost certainly killed by an Immortal.
                    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Oh, right. Thanks for clearing things up for me.
                      Btw, his chances against a regular immortal were 25.2%.
                      - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

How much cash do we have exactly?

Comment

Nice avatar SR
                          -
                          Although I don't think so myself, someone's got to mention it.
                          The two immortals arn't a decoy are they.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Aeson: the screenshots show 191 gold, +65 per turn with research turned off.
                            - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                              The two immortals arn't a decoy are they.
                              Well... they could try to head for the Northenmost Western mountain. If the galley returns to pick up some more immortals, they could hope to reach at roughly the same time with at least 4 immortals. I can certainly understand their decision to remove the scout anyway, so that we don't know when a galley would come.

Something striked me from BH's "Save is here" thread: it said "The save is here. The vote is in.". Would that mean that they first declared war, before really moving their units in position as they were still discussing it? It could mean that D-ville would be ill defended for the moment. But it doesn't explain what 1 or 2 immortals were doing in a galley of our coast at exactly the right time. My guess is that this was all decided 2-3 turns ago, right before offering us the WM for 95 gold deal.

D-Ville could have pop-rushed a barracks, and have been focusing on warriors only before that. Did we actually see a reg spear moving North from it?

DeepO

Comment

And the 4 upgrades leaves us with 71...

If Vox really is going to hit GoW, that only leaves 4-5 Immortals for them to hit us with, which we can deal with rather easily. Let's save up as much gold as we can... it might turn out we don't need to upgrade any more Swords at this time, and an Aquaduct in Tempest is going to pay off several times over in our GA.

If we have to we can upgrade more Swords, but if we keep Vox from landing on the mountains by Hurricane we have enough warning time in all directions to upgrade and be ready for anything they can do at this point (if we move as detailed in the other thread). We don't need to commit our gold until after the threat is known.

Comment

Working...
                                X