No announcement yet.

Roman strategy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Into how much detail should we be going with the strategy here? I loaded the save and have gone through the cities and could now make a [b]suggestion[\b] on production, commerce and food.

foreign affairs
    It seems we start with quite a little army. Taking Sicily would be a good choice I think and not too hard. With the 2 Leg I and archer in Messana thw right handed city could be taken and with Leg I from the mainland Messana can be quickly enforced, with troops that can go for the other city. After Sicily, I would think we could take the other islands as well after which we could sign for peace with the Carthegenians.
    To the north we have plenty of troops and the possibility to build an army. The Celts haven't gotten IW yet and don't impress me too much. Why not fight a 2 front war?

domestic affairs
    On the first turn we can found 2 cities. I thought of 9999 from Padua and 7778 from Pisae. Near Rome another citizen can found a city on the second turn. I forgot to write down were exactly. However, I only want to suggest, so this is good enough

research
    tactics or literature? I can see the advantages of the Leg II, but with literature, we could build some libraries and even the GL. This can be an investment that pays out later in the game. After the quick two front war, I would suggest to focus on expansion and eforcement of the Roman economy.
    don't worry about things you have no influence on...

Comment

Originally posted by McMeadows
      To the north we have plenty of troops and the possibility to build an army. The Celts haven't gotten IW yet and don't impress me too much. Why not fight a 2 front war?
      Because in the first turns we will be short on reinforcements against them. While it doesn't hurt too much on Emperor (it does stall the advancement, though), it might hurt on Demi. They'll be coming in numbers we won't have.
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Should we pillage the city of Chartago then reload the troups on the ships and take Sicily on our way back.
        Neo Voxian and
        President and founder of the Apolyton Yact Club.

Comment

Originally posted by jagjef
          Should we pillage the city of Chartago then reload the troups on the ships and take Sicily on our way back.

I like the way you're thinking.

Comment

ahh it would be good to cripple Carthage early, then take Sicily, then head into the hills after the Celts (don't believe I said that )

possibly have built up another sizeable force ready to join up for the attack on the Celts
            Gurka 17, People of the Valley
            I am of the Horde.

Comment

I know that the war with Carthage is no longer locked, but I didn't realise we don't actually start at war at all - infact no-one does (unless my save is bugged...).

With war between Macedon and Persia no longer a certainty, we can't take it for granted that our eastern shores will be untroubled.

On a positive note, we are the only ones with a mastery of Mathmatics.

Perhaps we could trade our surplus Iron to Egypt for a little extra gold, before anyone else does?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
                The locked war between carthage and Rome is being disabled to allow more trading and diplomacy options !!

If you look at it historically this is only right, as Rome was not locked into continuous war with Carthage was it.
                Darn it, I was planning on downloading it the turn before we win, and press enter to have it to have it store in my computers HoF. With the mod, it won't store.

I think we're making it much easier by disabeling this locked war, particularly if we're leaving in the locked war between Greece and Persia.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

On research priority, I say Legionaries II is far more important at this point. We're going to be in our GA very shortly (as soon as the first Legonary I attacks anything) which will boost commerce and therefore science.

Plus we really don't have the road network in place for getting the most out of libaries yet.

Legionary III + Heavy Calvary are the win the game units, plus these techs are in the Imperalism path.
                  Imperalism is the win the game goverment.

So, I think we should beeline to Republic for Legionary III thru Legionary II first, then get Literature if someone else doesn't reaserach it first and the pre-req to Imperalism, then reserach Philosphacy and choose Imperalism as our free tech.
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by jagjef
                    I recomend taking Silicy first [shared landmass and very underdefended at this point] and then sack Chartago and take Sardinia and Corscia on the way back.

Yeah, if we've turned off the lock war, we can talk peace at that point that Carthage would give up all it's remaining cities in Sardina and Corsica. (This would be historical 1st Punic War)

If we're taking on the Celts that early, we should try to cripple them by advancing at least to their capital. The river valley is more profitable than Southern France / Northern Spain, so there's no point yet for a war that would only be over that city blocking us.
                    Last edited by joncnunn; November 9, 2004, 18:03.
                    Templar Science Minister

Comment

I like the war plan of jon. We will have a very good offensive base to Carthago when Sicily gets ours.

Comment

Lets do the best of both worlds..Growth and Conquest

Get involved in the land grab towrds the Celts, before the other AI's jump in. Use close city formation to help build a wedge once our great culture spreads.

Do we want Carth's mad at us once for taking their islands here and there, or knock them out of Spain. I prefer taking the large land mass first. The Carth's canr sail around it...
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Unless we've moded the AI build perference, the Carths and Macdeonias will both build naval units early and often.

The minor barb tribes won't at all [build never], but do start with a settler in England, so they aren't going to be colonizing oveaseas in other landmasses.

To my knowelge Persia is allowed to build naval units.

So, yes the islands are more useful immedately to us than Spain.

As far getting Carthage mad at us, that's quite fine. I think we only want 20 - 30 turns of "peace" after napping the islands before declaring war to conquer Spain anyway. And if we declare peace for the rest of Spain, I envsion only 20 - 30 turns before attacking them in North Africa to finish the wipeout.
                          Templar Science Minister

Comment

The Carthage capitol can cause flips on Sicily so maybe that needs burning in the first war !!
                            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Two turns done, we're on the verge of a war - on Sicily and just west of the Alps.

Legions are marching and Sicily and should be liberating it soon. The Celts shall meet us in a turn. If it was a SP game, I'd probably send the Celts to war with Carthage and then still attack the Celts. Just to make things interesting.

I'm thinking about leaving the barb camps in the Alps as a training ground for Elite Legions. They could provide easy targets and could be held in check by a very small force. What are your opinions, Senators?

Comment

train our legions by whipping barbarian dogs? Genius!

Liberating Sicily- only through extensive burning I hope.

Before Enlightenment: Chop Wood, Carry Water.
                                After Enlightenment: Chop Wood, Carry Water.
                                I reserve the right to speak gibberish in public, to embarass myself as a Senator, and to generally ignore the Bananis Imperialis; assumed competent. The Decadence that was Rome scoffs, I stand in the Bacchanalian temples laughing.

Comment

Working...
                                X