CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Senators, please direct your latest strategy advice here
      So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
      Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Great work in general.

But I have a question to you, Senator Aquavian Lungarius. Why did you stop the conquest of the Celts? Remember, we agreed on attacking both them and Carthage at the same time. You openly acted against the choices made by the Senate. And please, don't tell me there wasn't enough forces to bring against the Celts - I know how many Legions I left there.
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Next Emperor, please buy Construction and Monarchy on turn 1.

Greece and Persia have both those techs.
          Egypt has Construction only.

No one has Tactics.

This will allow us to reserach Republic immedately for Legionary IIIs.

This would also give us the option to switch the Great Light House to Herridan's Wall, which is probably more useful because Macedonia is likely to be a target and will be easier to take down if they don't have walls everywhere.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

yes lets settle east

Comment

how about this
              kill the celts and take france
              settle east so the greeks can't get contact with the goths
              settle england
              after we get those two inlands from the africans lets, somehow and then peace
              when this happens use france and our eastern empire to take the goths
              after all of this lets take spain and finish those africans

with all of this done we will have half of the map

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                Next Emperor, please buy Construction and Monarchy on turn 1.

Greece and Persia have both those techs.
                Egypt has Construction only.

No one has Tactics.

This will allow us to reserach Republic immedately for Legionary IIIs.

This would also give us the option to switch the Great Light House to Herridan's Wall, which is probably more useful because Macedonia is likely to be a target and will be easier to take down if they don't have walls everywhere.
                I concur with all of Senator joncnunn's advice. I would suggest though that we consider making peace with Carthage if we can secure one or both of these techs as part of the peace deal. It will take several turns to prepare for the invasion of Carthage, and the all-powerful Roman Senate should have no qualms about breaking a peace treaty with our arch-rival Carthage. Reputation is a meaningless concept in this world full of Barbarian civilisations! This may enable us to retain exclusivity over Military Training for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                  Great work in general.
                  Thank you kindly Emperor Modo. It was your genius that inspired me to lift my mediocre intellect to fulfill the high expectations of the Senate, set by your remarkable precedent

Why did you stop the conquest of the Celts? Remember, we agreed on attacking both them and Carthage at the same time. You openly acted against the choices made by the Senate. And please, don't tell me there wasn't enough forces to bring against the Celts - I know how many Legions I left there.
                  Yes, I was fully aware of the fact that my actions in making peace with the Celts would bring criticism from both the Senate and Emperor Modo himself. I make no apology for my deal with the barbarian Brennus however, as the Senate entrusted me to wield executive power for my term and I did so with both boldness and consideration for future emperors.

My reasoning for the peace deal was as follows:
                  1. Contrary to Emperor Modo's assertion, I personally did not feel that there were enough Legionaries in the north of our empire to prosecute an effective war against the Celts. There were 2 Legionaries 2 tiles into the nearest Celtic city, and had their attack failed it would have been several more turns until reinforcements were available, giving the Celts the opportunity to garrison their southern towns. Such a war would have been protracted and costly, and will be better fought in the future with Heavy Cavalry;
                  2. The only Celtic city within a reasonable assimilation distance of the Roman empire for the time being, Massillia, had already been captured by Roman forces under the command of the Emperor Modo;
                  3. Continued aggression against the Celts would have necessitated substantial concentrated production of military units for defence of the newly acquired towns, especially given their distance from Rome proper. This did not fit with our concurrent need to produce Workers and Citizens for settlement of new towns to the east;
                  4. The Celts are a weak barbarian race who can be annihilated at any time and do not pose any significant threat;
                  5. The Celtic lands do not currently encroach upon our immediate lands for settlement;
                  6. The greater danger is certainly Carthage. It is closer to our core cities, and a much greater threat economically and militarily. Our entire western and southern coastline is exposed to Carthage and we must concentrate our efforts to weaken them substantially...thus my interest in conquering Corsica and Sardinia, to which the Senate's initial response was at most lukewarm; and
                  7. In general, a two-front war in a geographically spread empire like Roime (north to south) is difficult to maintain, particularly given our less than overwhelming military strength at present. I should also point out that by the end of my reign, Carthage had found a land route to Rome from the west and you can see a Legionary outside of Massillia who is preparing to attack a Carthaginian Swordsman. It would surely not be advisable to have 2 foes attacking our northern outerlying towns while our Armies prepare to sail for Carthage in the south.

I would also counsel closely monitored relations with the Macedonians and the Persians. The Macedonians are incessant Wonder builders, and occupy lands that we will soon wish to be under Roman dominion. To this end I suggest we cultivate friendship with the Persians for a longer term Military Alliance against Macedonia.

I hope the Emperor Modo is satisfied with my reasons for adjusting the military strategy initiated during his reign.
                  Last edited by Aqualung71; November 21, 2004, 21:30.

Comment

You might have had your reasons, but I think you missed a serious point about the Celts.

Originally posted by Aquavian Lungarius [*]The Celts are a weak barbarian race who can be annihilated at any time and do not pose any significant threat;
                    Unless they get those famous Swordsmen. And they will, because they weren't crippled enough.

Originally posted by Aquavian Lungarius
                    I hope the Emperor Modo is satisfied with my reasons for adjusting the military strategy initiated during his reign.
                    I am. Though courage is not one of your virtues, methiks.

Comment

OT Emperor List

Question

I cut and pasted the what I thought was the turn sequence. I guess I got it wrong. UNless Conmcb25 passed?

Modo44
                      Conmcb25
                      Aqualung71
                      Chrisius Maximus

Senator Platypvs Reximus
                      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

ahhh the much feared stories that the old women tell the children, of the night the painted devils sacked rome

do you really think these Celtic peoples can seriously gather these men together into cohesive batte groups?
                        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

There have been times that I have disagreed with senator Modo, yet today he has spoken the words that equal my thoughts as well.
                          don't worry about things you have no influence on...

Comment

Re: OT Emperor List

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                            Question

I cut and pasted the what I thought was the turn sequence. I guess I got it wrong. UNless Conmcb25 passed?

Modo44
                            Conmcb25
                            Aqualung71
                            Chrisius Maximus

Senator Platypvs Reximus
                            Senator

you have listed here the original turn sequence

as noted in the The Great Roll of Emperors...

Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
                            The Roll Order has been updated as requested by various Senators

please be aware of yur position, and let me know if this needs to be adjusted
                            ...and will continue to be modified so that the game flow continues

It is our hope this assists the Glory of Rome
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

PLEASE NOTE

Emperors Modo, retired, and Emperor Aqua, about to retire, have a lively discussion going that revolves around personal pride - face

this discussion does not really have to do wth Strategy, so it has been moved to a new thread

Emperors at 20 Paces

lets keep it clean people, and get this matter sorted quickly
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Some notes after I had a look at the Empire 300BC.

The use of Worker bands for roading and chopping Forests is inefficient. Only single Workers should enter unroaded tiles. Groups can follow after a road is made, so they don't have to lose a turn before they start working.

We have an Army of 3 Legions and additional 3 Legions on Sicily. With more coming in as reinforcements, at least the army could be shipped to start attacking the city of Carthage. For one, it would allow us to start the Heroic epic soon. Also, the Army can heal in enemy territory, so if used wisely (1 attack per turn, never 2, always fortify after attacking), won't be in danger of defeat. In addition, it could be put on the hill with Carthage's Iron, to slow down their production. We could ship the army now, but somehow all the Galleys are on the other side of Sicily.

We are building Spearmen, whilst Garrisons cost exactly the same with a better defensive value. Why?

We have very few Citizens moving and no military in the northern part of the empire. The Macedonians will appreciate that.

There are still spots for cities left in Italy:
                                • Croton 22,
                                • Croton 69,
                                • Padua 22,
                                • somewhere between Ancona and Confinium,
                                • somewhere between Roma and Pisae or between Roma and Neapolis.

Comment

Working...
                                X