No announcement yet.

The Future of the C3DG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also say start up a 1.29 game so that everyone could join in, but also see the advantages a PTW game could bring.

And, I would also lean towards NO CoL as well, just a few rules, no more than 4 or so to say "These are the government offices" , "elections are held on this date", and "no cheating, defined here as:". Not a complaint, mind you, just saying...
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

The SP C3DG is more than just group of players trying to collectively outwit the AI.

It provides a service to the entire civ community.

I joined up at 4000bc when I was scraping together histiograph wins at regent. Following this game, and watching the techwhoring / military tactics (who can forget plan "gold"), I can now comfortably defeat the AI at emperor any time.

I would love to see a PTW demo game..even if its a lot smaller with only a small group of players. I may even play a more active roll this time.

Regs
      "No Comment"

Comment

I would play with PTW as the main reason we didn't upgrade to 1.29 is that Firaxis never made it available to all of our members. PTW is more widely available and allows us to play against ALL of the civs.

Comment

I say we start over again with PTW. We should forget everything from this game and start completely from scratch. We should write a new constitution if we decide to have one and see how the game develops.
          For your photo needs:
          http://www.canstockphoto.com?r=146

Sell your photos

Comment

I have been tossing around the idea of playing a mod as the next SPDG. I recently downloaded the extra files for the Double Your Pleasure mod (they are purely graphical) and have found that the amount of techs, building, small wonders, Great wonders and units makes this mod so diverse that I dout that we'd end up with multiple civs all looking alike.

There are some drastic changes made to the game and I feel it makes the game immesurably better. Immagine an Apolyton nation building the Circus Maximus, or the Empire State Building. Think about who much fun ET would have with his corruption spreadsheets when you not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 small wonders that work as a Forbidden Palace? The mod has the Forge and Town Clock of Call to Power fame. No more upgrading Musketmen ---> Riflemen. The Grenider is stuck in there, enabling wars similar to the Nepolionic Wars. Think about the struggle to even become a Despotism, as we would start out merely as a tribal government. True slider limits in place, reminicent of the original game that started this whole thing (Civ 1).

Before you dismiss the idea outright, give it a try. Play a game (or a couple if you have time) of the DYP mod. I'm sure you'll struggle and be refering to the civilopedia frequently.
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
              I would play with PTW as the main reason we didn't upgrade to 1.29 is that Firaxis never made it available to all of our members. PTW is more widely available and allows us to play against ALL of the civs.
              What do you mean with 'didn't make it available for all'?

As I thought it is possible to install it to all versions, I might be wrong though.

Thats why I think PTW is not more widely available. As here in Finland it is supposed to come to the stores today. No one has confirmed it yet. And as I understood some countries have to wait for it still.

And I wont buy it as I think it hasn't got that much new to offer to me. Its not worthy of its price (40 - 50 €).
              So many pedestrians, so little time

Comment

I dont think 1.29 was released for the Mac

That is why we stuck with 1.21 in this demo game.
                "No Comment"

Comment

Civ3DG has certainly a future, and perhaps a twin future.
                  - There are good reasons for a Civ3 game, taking into consideration all players who have not or do not intend to buy PTW
                  - We have observed many times the frustrating situation resulting from the coexistence in one DG of people only interested in having the game going on, and people giving priority to the democracy.

One solution would be to organize two games:
                  - One game played with PTW and intending to be more a team game rather than a DM, with the minimum organization necessary for the game to run smoothly.
                  - And another truly DM played with Civ3 and giving priority to the democracy.

This would require two civ groups, with the possibility to be a member of both groups.
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

It's a good idea essentially, but unless we advertise the demo games more extensively, we're not going to have a players base to run so many DGs.
                    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Re: The Future of the C3DG

Originally posted by Trip
                      What comes after the game is won? Another game? Same constitution? Same government? Same everything, but we start over?

Discuss.
                      hi ,

, we could start to grow banana again in the jungle , .....

we can start a new game , why not , this type of game is as good as it gets , we have learned lessons and build up experience for the future , ......

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I might not have gotten involved in a MP demogame first, if that was all that was avaiable. The Civ3dg and Ptw dg are very different.I don't think this game should be disbanded. Also, we don't need 100 active members to have a viable demogame. GoW has 15 members, who have varying levels of participation.

Comment

Working...
                        X