No announcement yet.

Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're all great. I've seen a number of these in other peoples' signatures. This guy must be a genius.
    "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
    And the truth isn't what you want to see,
    Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
    - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Shiber,

That is actually Christine singing/saying that in the play TO the Phantom...(your sig...) One of my personal favorite singers too...
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Imtoops, I am laughing out loud alone (everybody sleep here) ! This guy is great
        Statistical anomaly.
        The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

greetings

i have returned to your shores once again. it seems you have prospered.

this thread contains many wise, informed, deep and humorous quotes from a different world. in a different time, i started a thread here and was surprised and fascinated by the response. here are some of my favorite quotes from your world:

eewolf "what makes you think that those prospering by slavery will want to give it up later? ethics comes with a price. and you cannot buy in later."

UnOrthOdOx "I really expect that what will happen here will likely follow the history of the world."

Duddha "The computer also doesn't care if we're nice. It will kill us all the same and if we are destroyed I don't think any of us will be satisfied that we died with honor."

eewolf "to say "nothing matters more than survival itself" is to lose before taking your first step. it will become the continuous battlecry of the strong persecuting the weak."

civman2000 "Face it, civ is a realpolitik game"

eewolf "letting the context be decided by the game is: easy and convenient. what happened to courageous?"

Togas "One does not contemplate the ethics of sacrificing one's own units or killing your opponents units to win a game. One only considers how best to win."

panag "look you , if you dont stop with that ethic stuff you shall be banana-ed to death , are we clear"

ManicStarSeed "The game is the context. Without it, ther is nothing."

eewolf "you have held elections and put together documents and charters, started parties and coalitions, etc. that goes way beyond pushing pixels around a screen."

eewolf "i did not expect the game to care. i expect it will do what it already does. but on the thinking end of things, possibilities arise."

UberKrux "panag is my hero "

skywalker "it is completely ethical to do anything whatsoever to a unit in a relatively unrealistic simulation. IT IS NOT REAL."

Sheik "Winning is made more difficult because the ideas of one administration are different from the ideas of another."

MrWhereItsAt "We are however, in this Democracy format, much more deeply involved than ever before, and I certainly hope everyone considers this idea very seriously."

MrWhereItsAt "I may not always vote for your ideas, but I strongly, strongly support you pushing this to everyone."

Trevman "The problem with your ideas is that right now we might not even achieve the lesser goal so an honorable win seems to be ridiculous."

eewolf "i don't use america as my standard-bearer. it would strike me blind."

Andreiguy "Let's not frighten Firaxis too much or they might just take out Communism, Despotism, workers, heck, Anarchy and all military units for that matter in Civ4. We can have SimCiv, the lovely game about a happy place."

Trip "We are playing no one but ourselves, and we have but ourselves to look to when it's all said and done. Are we satisfied merely with victory at any cost?"

OPD "I want to play a game where i can be supreme overlord and take over the world by doing whatever I want."

Guardian "Yes, it is a game, but it's a game in which a lot of things actually happen in your mind, and not just on the computer screen."

Guardian "I know they're not real people, but I imagine things! What is this game without imagination anyway??"

OPD "Thats the thing about people taking the moral high ground, it encourages others to so the same to prove that they're not immoral *******s"

OPD "This thread is very dangerous for us."

mtgillespie "In my opinion, ethics are not something which should be imposed from above, they are something which comes from within."

eewolf "while you may view this as escapism, others may not. and even if they do, their idea of escape may not fit yours. in this is the challenge and the beauty of this democracy game."

eewolf "in democracy, one has to be ready for new and different ideas. and change."

Andreiguy "Precisely because it isin't really proven, people should argue. Arguing is good, always, even if it brings up controversial topics, that's what these threads are for."

Trip "And the reason we're involved in this is because it is more than just a game. Why have 170 people joined in on one 'game'? Don't you think there's something more that matters?"

ManicStarSeed "The concept that "we can't afford morals" applies for now, but we can (and should) build up our moral currency. "

ManicStarSeed "We can make the game more than CIV3 which we already play. This is an oppurtunity to be different."

Captain "Just because it doesn't affect game mechanics doesn't mean it doesn't matter."

Captain "Any time there is a gathering of more than one individual, we have entered into a social contract, written or unwritten. "

Papa Chubby "If we intend to be moral and ethical then one of the first must certainly be that our word is our bond. Not our word is our bond until the temptations are to big or the SMC advices against it."

jdjdjd "The point is to challenge us beyond the normal game. The code can be added to over time, but once in the code, it has to be followed without exception."

Robber Baron "Building a "civilization" is dirty work, it seems.."

UnOrthOdOx "If we play and win using any means, is it truly a victory? We have argued that the AI does not consider such things, are we no better? Are we, the humans, who have learned from history, to be held to no higher standard?"

mmtt "A roleplay movement started by this govnerment. Eewolf proposed to go one, one step further. One step further into immersion, into a deep world of imagination. In a world we control from far, in front of our screen, and in another world we are a bunch of crappy people, in the dawn of the world. Isn't fascinating?"

GoodFella "Don't think for one instant that the French aren't think of killing us and taking our beloved bananas right now."

minos "So, in summary, don't lock us into ethics without any options, because it's the decisions and debates that make civ fun!"

notyoueither "Do you want Apolytonia to be a moral beacon for the next 4000 years? Stick around and convince everyone that the high road is the road to travel."

eewolf 'look inward and answer. and stand."

--------
          that thread created a lot of happiness for me. i thank everyone who participated and i congratulate all who created this "game".

sincerely,
          eewolf
          eewolf

"craven a go choke puppy"

Comment

Originally posted by Shiber

I think that the correct quote is "there are so many worlds".
            hi ,

checked , and its true , must have been a typo , ...

thanks Shiber

oh yeah , they are all Quotes from the CIV III manual guys

have a nice quoting day
            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

hi ,

eewolf , man thats great , what did you do , write the most funny things down over time , ........

there is definatly SIG stuff inthere

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

wow and not a single quote from me in that huge list of eewolf's..... typical.

just kiddin
                Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
                Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

Originally posted by Meshelic

just kiddin
                  hi ,

now there is a quote , ......

have a nice day

Comment

Overquoted

[quote] Originally posted by Aidun

Originally posted by Aidun

Originally posted by panag

Originally posted by Meshelic

just kiddin
                    hi ,

now there is a quote , ......

have a nice day
                    Overquoted

Aidun
                    "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
                    Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

eewolf, it is great to see you again.

I don't know of anyone who has sparked such intense debate, yet you have only graced us with your presence a few times...
                      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                        Shiber,

That is actually Christine singing/saying that in the play TO the Phantom...(your sig...) One of my personal favorite singers too...
                        I know, but 'Phantom of The Opera' is the piece from which it's taken. You're right though, it's somewhat confusing, so I'm gonna use quotes to clear this up.
                        Btw, you have an excellent taste in music.
                        "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                        And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                        Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                        - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

pfft,

I listen to everything. But, my wife and I shared our first kiss at the intermission to that show, so it has a special place in my heart.

Still can't wait for the new Sarah Brightman CD supposed to come out this spring...
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Recent Quotes from Iraqis (and I didn't make them up)
                            "Iraq will not be defeated. Iraq has now already achieved victory - apart from some technicalities."
                            -Mohsen Khalil, Iraq's Ambassador to the Arab League
                            They're not even [within] 100 miles [of Baghdad]. They are not in any
                            place. They hold no place in Iraq. This is an illusion ... they are
                            trying to sell to the others an illusion."
                            - Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information
                            "NO, We have retaken the airport. There are NO
                            Americans there. I will take you there and show you. IN ONE HOUR!"
                            "You can go and visit those places. Nothing there, nothing at all. There are Iraqi checkpoints. Everything is okay."

They should give this guy his own news program, I would watch it.

Of course this is the best one of all (pay close attention):
                            "It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles and I don't know why they were fired into Kuwait."
                            Last edited by GhengisFarb™; April 11, 2003, 22:46.

Comment

hi ,

" everything changed with the end of the cold war .
                              up to then we knew what we had to do and who
                              the potential enemy was and we could train and
                              prepare accordingly . now it's all guesswork . "

general Sir Pater Inge , chief of the defense staff , 1996

have a nice day

Comment

Nice GF
                                If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Working...
                                X