Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BetaHound
    "The world will be run by those who show up."

-attributed to one of the Greek philosophers.
    This is probably the quote most related to C3DG...

Namu!~
    :-p

Comment

hi ,

"low intensity operations cannot be won or contained by military power alone . they require the application of all elements of national power across the entire range of conditions which are the source of conflict ."

US army , tradoc

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

GhengisFarb,

I like the artillery quotes!

(hell, my father was once a U.S. Army artillery officer...)
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos
          GhengisFarb,

I like the artillery quotes!

(hell, my father was once a U.S. Army artillery officer...)
          My father-in-law was an Artillery Officer, and I should be one come commission time in August.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
            My father-in-law was an Artillery Officer, and I should be one come commission time in August.
            You get to spend lots time marching in Oklahoma.... have fun!

As for me... I decided a long time ago not to follow my father's career path initially into the artillery... but rather into other areas of national security at least for the time being. Political work is awesome, but getting some inside-the-gov't work would be useful over the next few years.
            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Arnelos

You get to spend lots time marching in Oklahoma.... have fun!
              I live in Oklahoma.

Comment

hi ,

"no training , in any amount , could have prepared us forthe actual trials and tribulation of combat ; combat is its own finishing school . but we learned , slowly but surely ."

Gary Linderer , L comp , rangers , vietnam , 1969

operational doctrine ;

"certain fundamentals remain unchanged throughout history"

"attack audaciously"

"brief and to the point"

"keep it simple"

"issuing orders is about ten percent - ninety percent is in execution"

"position supplies near the battlefield prior to operations"

ask "what if this happens ?"

the last two are lessons that are still not optimally reflected in our game , .....

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

My Sig.......

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Quite appropriate given current world events in Iraq
                  Last edited by Hot_Enamel; February 9, 2003, 06:52.
                  "No Comment"

Comment

Some funny quotes:

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a brain by mistake, since for him the special cord would suffice. - Albert Einstein

Yes we love peace, but we are no willing to take wounds for it, as we are for war. - John Andrew Holmes

When all men think alike, no one thinks very much. Walter Lippman

A bookstore is one of the lonly pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking. - Jerry Seinsfeld

Anyone that wants the presidency so much that he'll spend two years organising and campaigning for it is not to be trusted with the office. - David Broder

Oh, that lovely title, ex-president. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Our patience will achieve more than our force. - Edmund Burke

A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer. - Robert Frost

The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take civil service examination - Ronald Reagan

If you can remember anything about the sixties, you weren't really there - Paul Kantner

I want to be Robin to Bush's Batman. - Senator Dan Quayle

No, I don't need protection. Bye! - Derek Sauer

If Lincoln were alive today he'd roll over in his grave. - President Gerald Ford

The other thing we have to do is to take seriously the role in this problem of older men who prey on underage women. There are consequesces ... - President Clinton (1996)

Aidun
                    Last edited by Aidun; February 10, 2003, 12:19.
                    "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
                    Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Comment

Like that last one Aidun
                      If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Not really a quote but an interesting commentary I received via email today:

I thought you would enjoy these comments regarding one of your "favorite"
                        countries!

The Complete Military History of France

Gallic Wars
                        - Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2000 years of French history, France is conquered by of all things, an Italian.

l">Hundred Years War
                        - Mostly lost, saved at last by female schizophrenic who
                        inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare; "France's armies
                        are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman."

Italian Wars -
                        Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians...

How many times has Apolytonia beaten France? Did we beat out the Italians' record?
                        Last edited by GhengisFarb™; February 10, 2003, 20:35.

Comment

It all started when French Neanderthalians where defeated by a bunch of Homo Sapiens Sapiens coming from Monaco, 8 000 years ago ...
                          Statistical anomaly.
                          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

hi ,

"even the tallest tower begins with the first stone"

"there are so many worlds , and i have not yet conquered even one"

"if i had the power to remake the world ... ahh , but that is a folly"

"one clear example is worth more than a warehouse full of inscribed clay tables"

"i know the situation . just tell me what's changed"

"there is no city of gold"

"we do not inherit the land from our ancestors ; we take it from those who defend it poorly"

"give me a hundred fierce and loyal warriors , and i will bring peace from horizon to horizon"

"it is a persuit and study of the natural sciences that mankind provides the greatest evedence of his nobility , of his spark of the devine"

"the measure of a great ruler i the monuments she leaves behind"

"cities are like towers treat them well - but not to well - and you will get what you want from them"

"roads , mighty armies , and happy citizens - these are the foundations of a strong army"

"you can not please everyone , but if you rule the routes of trade and have the world by the throat , it matters less"

"i never for a moment lose sight of my divine mission . everthing else is a means to that end"

"every detail - the bending of a branch , the shift in the path of a bird - is significant to the wise leader"

have a nice day
                            Last edited by Panag; February 12, 2003, 07:30.

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                              "there are so many words , and i have not yet conquered even one"
                              I think that the correct quote is "there are so many worlds".
                              "Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
                              And the truth isn't what you want to see,
                              Close your eyes, and let music set you free..."
                              - Phantom of the Opera

Comment

Quotes from comedian Steven Wright:

I woke up one morning and all of my stuff had been stolen.. and replaced by exact duplicates.

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.

Half the people you know are below average.

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. (Think about it some more.)

I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread.

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X