Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes

We all have those nifty little quotes in our signature line. In playing of the demo game for the past 9 months, I have noticed that my style of playing has changed significantly. At the beginning, I had difficulty winning on even the easy levels. About a month ago I (finally) won on deity. I never paid much attention to diplomacy. Now I know how much cheaper it is to buy techs with cash, and how to (usually) avoid those wars you are not ready for. I used to play a fairly peaceful game, now I focus on war. All around, I have improved how I play the game, and I suspect many others have as well.

Last night I was at the bar with some friends, trying to convince them that this game really is all I say it is, when I looked at the coasters set out for our drinks. They all had different little sayings or quotes on them. Mine was most appropriate for Civ, which got me thinking about this little thread I am starting here. It said:
    All our foes are mortal.

by Valery Tel Quel
    I thought it interesting enough that I brought the coaster to work with me today, and started this thread. What quotes have you seen lately that make you think of the Demo game, and how it (the demo game) has changed how you play Civ?

GK
    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

I've been trying to get my buddies involved in PTW to play me in hotseat mode...a couple of them have heard of Civ but aren't really in that world-conquest kind of idealism.

It's too bad.

You should have tons of quotes Godking!

I'm looking for one from Patton or Rommel. either of the two would do fine for me....
    Former Supreme Military Commander of the Democratic Apolyton States, Term 8
    Former Chairman of Apolyton Labor Party

Comment

I haven't thought about how quotes remind me about the DG, however, I have recently convinced three of my buddies of my seperiourity in this game due to the SPDG and they are all out to get me now in a thread I started in the PBEM forum (The Battle for Cheese and Beer; we're all from Wisconsin).
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Favorite Patton quote of course is the infamous:
        "No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for HIS country!"

Erwin Rommel:
        Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.

Thomas Jefferson:
        Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

And of course, my favorite source of quotes as he's from my home state, Will Rogers:
        Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
        I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat.
        Take the diplomacy out of war and the thing would fall flat in a week.
        There ought to be one day-- just one-- when there is open season on senators.
        Communism is like prohibition, it's a good idea but it won't work.

John F. Kennedy:
        Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Ben Franklin:
        Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
        Last edited by GhengisFarb™; January 29, 2003, 20:37.

Comment

LBJ, on having a defeated opponent work for a campaign of his: "I'd rather have him on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing in."
          oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

There is a moment in engagements when the least manoeuvre is decisive and gives a victory; it is the one drop of water which makes the vessel run over...

Napoleon Bonaparte
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

lotta good quotes there....

Comment

hi ,

"one thing is sure . we have to do something . we have to do the best we know how at the moment . if it doesn't turn out right , we can modify it as we go along ." - FDR

have a nice day
                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Vlad, that was LBJ commenting on J. Edgar Hoover.

Sean.
                  "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
                  --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

On the Demo and what I have learned:

The more laws and order are made prominent,
                    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
                    Lao-tzu

Democracy means government by discussion, but it is only effective if you can stop people talking.
                    Clement Atlee

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.
                    Hannah Whitall Smith,

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
                    Carl Jung
                    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Democracy means government by discussion, but it is only effective if you can stop people talking.
                      Clement Atlee

Fantastic quote!
                      May I use this in my sign?
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas
                      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I think Aro and I should hold a contest, lol, called "vote on da quote!"

I'll probably use Rommel's quote, unless others convince me to use theirs....

Comment

"We must do something. This is something. Therefore we must do this." Many world leaders today.
                          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Quotations that remind me of the Civ3DG...

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice Doggie!" till you can find a rock."
                            - Wynn Catlin

"The Vice Presidency is sort of like the last cookie on the plate. Everybody insists he won't take it, but somebody always does."
                            - Bill Vaughan

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
                            -John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."
                            - Aaron Levenstein

"Instead of looking on discussion as a stumbling-block in the way of action, we think it an indispensable preliminary to any wise action at all."
                            - Pericles (from the funeral oration in Thucydides' Peloponnesian War, circa 460-455 B.C.E.)

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
                            - Greek Proverb

"There is only one principle of war and that's this. Hit the other fellow, as quickly as you can, as hard as you can, where it hurts him most, when he ain't lookin'."
                            - Sir William Slim

"Civil liberties are always safe as long as their exercise doesn't bother anyone."
                            -New York Times editorial, 1-3-41

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
                            - Hubert H. Humphrey

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
                            -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
                            - Otto von Bismarck

"I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis."
                            -Mr. Spock, Star Trek

"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry."
                            - Thomas Jefferson

(I selected the above quotations out of my list of several hundred that I have... I think they're the most appropriate - at least from my perspective )
                            Last edited by Arnelos; January 31, 2003, 00:52.
                            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                              "We must do something. This is something. Therefore we must do this." Many world leaders today.
                              RL politicians is it....

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives."
                              - Abba Eban

"Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists in choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable."
                              - John Kenneth Galbraith

"A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to the ground."
                              - H. L. Mencken

"Congress is so strange. A man gets up to speak and says nothing. Nobody listens - and then everybody disagrees."
                              - Boris Marshalov

"Every two years the American politics industry fills the airwaves with the most virulent, scurrilous, wall-to-wall character assassination of nearly every political practitioner in the country--and then declares itself puzzled that America has lost trust in its politicians."
                              - Charles Krauthammer

"The people of Nebraska are for free silver. Therefore, I am for free silver. I'll look up the reasons later."
                              - U.S. Representative William Jennings Bryan
                              "You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns, you shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of gold!"
                              - William Jennings Bryan, Democratic Presidential Candidate in 1896 at the Democratic Nominating Convention (in his "Cross of Gold" speech, one of the more famous speeches in American history)
                              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                              X