No announcement yet.

The Apolytonian Republican Front (ARF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolytonian Republican Front (ARF)

The time has come to begin the push to rid ourselves of the dreaded monarch and the petty nobility that follow him! It is time to end this putrid system of fealty to our supposed "lord and protector"!

For indeed, the monarch's claim to rule by the divine right of the Great Banana is FALSE! The Great Banana, in its infinite wisdom, has provided its blessing to all the citizens of Apolytonia and does not favor this one, this vile usurper, who would have us call him "king"!

Indeed, while Apolytonia has been a liberty-loving society from its very inception, it has unfortunately fallen to the siren's song of monarchism - a false truth which must now be expunged! For, as a recently assimilated American-Apolytonian has come to argue:

"The right to freedom being the gift of [the Great Banana], it is not in the power of man to alienate this gift and voluntarily become a slave."
    --Samuel Adams

Indeed, we should not allow ourselves to voluntarily continue to be as slaves to this monarchic system. It is an intollerable afront to the native spirit of liberty which has long guided and protected our people!

Rather, we should embrace the TRUTH! The truth, given to us by the Great Banana, that the PEOPLE of Apolytonia are SOVEREIGN themselves, requiring no monarch to be sovereign for them!

The people of Apolytonia demand to be CITIZENS, not SUBJECTS! They demand the enshrinement of this principle in the formation a grand APOLYTONIAN REPUBLIC! Such a wondrous republic would have leaders who recognize the truth of POPULAR SOVEREIGNTY rather than the BLASPHEMOUS LIE of the "divine right" of kings! Though they would rule, they would do so at the behest of the people!

There are those who would claim that we should retain our monarch, that the prize may not be worth it, that they find some sick form of virtue in monarchism, or simply that they are cowards! Another assimilated American-Apolytonian provides them with the answer:

"What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty Great Banana! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

Should you need any more evidence of the sickness that has befallen Apolytonia due to this vile monarchy, see the report of the kingdom's own ministry of economics!

This corruption wll undoubtedly only grow worse if this wretched monarchy is allowed to continue!

For those that wish to band together, to begin the long struggle for our republic, now is the time to begin! The formation of this, the Apolytonian Republican Front (ARF), is but the vanguard for the larger struggle to come! Loyal republicans (small r, of course ) of all walks of life are free to join this cause, to join this struggle! Liberty is not free and the joint efforts of many will be needed if we are to succeed!

Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

[/roleplay]

That was the most thoroughly enjoyable post to write I've done since I got here I was chuckling through much of it (especially when I interjected "Almighty Great Banana" in for "Almighty God" in Patrick Henry's quotation... it just turns the sheer passion of the line into something that can be VERY funny ).

Comment

I call upon the construction of Gallows immediately to deal with these "revolutionaries" who dare defy our King and threaten the security of our nation in a time of war. These "republicans" preach anarchy and greed driven by their own selfish desires of Power and Riches. Anyone who dares supports these petty peasants must be eliminated both swiftly and severely. We risk the disintergration of the Apolytonian Empire and our way of life if we allow these people to come to power after Our Great Nation has been at War, this concept of Self Rule will weary our people and bring with it certain DOOM.

To the gallows with these Heretics.

Comment

It is with heavy heart that I must now go to our rightful ruler, OPD, with news of this (b)ARF.

And from my own province!

Arnelos, when you return to the home that OPD granted me to give to you, you will find it in ashes. Such talk will not be tolerated in Pina Colada as it is a detriment to the Empire's war effort in Persia.

Ask not what the Banana can do for me, ask what I can do for the Banana!
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Well I'm glad I abdicated before this happened when I was King.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

SHORTEN YOUR KING WITH THE NEW GUILLOTINE Mark 1 !

IT MAKES WORK FAST AND EASY !

MORE AESTHETIC THAN GALLOWS, ITS SOBER STYLE IS WELL ADAPTED TO ANY ARCHITECTURAL SURROUNDING

Delivered with 1 spare blade to allow maintenance without interrupting the service.
            Statistical anomaly.
            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Comes with a 5 Monarch guarantee...
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                Well I'm glad I abdicated before this happened when I was King.
                I seriously doubt this will gain much momentum as the instant war weariness would reduce virtually ALL our cities to 1 shield and 1 commerce per turn. At that point the advocators of the Revolution would probably be banned from the Democracy game.

Comment

[roleplay]

I have, at no point, actually resided in Pina Colada province. Given this, the loss of a home I never occupied is of little loss, though it is sorrowful that I was unable to enjoy residing in it before it was destroyed.

Such are the burdens of the committed revolutionary, but they are burders I gladly bear. They are burders that all of us in the republican movement gladly bear, for we bear them for the Apolytonian people and in righteous defense of the true worship of the Great Banana.

The accusation by the vile monarchist that we in the republican movement wish nothing but power for ourselves is obviously a falsehood. You see, this being a *republican* revolution, sovereign power will be completely taken from the existing leadership of the state (likely through a process involving a guillotine) and vested in the people themselves. We do not wish sovereign power for ourselves, for our most sincere wish is but to remove it from the monarchists, not to have it for ourselves.

That the people, thankful for their newfound freedom, might be greatful enough toward the leaders of this transformation to delegate to them the powers of the state, as in any republic, would be but a potential perk for the successful revolutionary. There remains much struggle between these early days in the conflict and that hour when success will be ours.

But we know that the Great Banana is with us in this struggle. We are sure of the righteousness of our path. For the Great Banana, in its infinite wisdom, has bestowed its providence upon the whole of the people. Those few, the "monarchists", who claim that the Great Banana only provides the right to rule for them are blasphemers, afronts to the very worship of the Great Banana!

It is thus that the Great Banana is surely filled with righteous anger at these monarchist blasphers. They can only hope that before their unpleasant ends, they beg the Great Banana for forgiveness and hope beyond hope that the Great Banana may yet choose to show them mercy.

So all praise the Great Banana! For the Great Banana shows us the way through the dense jungle and brings us to paradise, a paradise of bananacopia. We praise the Great Banana, who in righteous anger, will aid us in defeating the enemies of the one true faith.

[/roleplay]

Hey, I figure with our civilization being religious and in the process of researching theology, the intellectuals (generally the group responsible for beginning the first stirrings of any revolution...) are especially focused on religion as well as republicanism right now - which would account for them justifying republicanism in religious terms.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I seriously doubt this will gain much momentum as the instant war weariness would reduce virtually ALL our cities to 1 shield and 1 commerce per turn. At that point the advocators of the Revolution would probably be banned from the Democracy game.
                    Actually, I think it's rather clear that what's going on here is the start if a republican agitation movement... which would likely come to fruition at the close of the war. This makes sense, of course, as many a revolution has come at the close of a long war in which the populace bore many burdens.

Generally, a period of agitation must take place for quite some time before a revolution actually occurs and before it actually succeeds. We're just beginning the process here as a role-playing exercise .

In non-roleplaying terms, obviously no-one who has seriously evaluated our strategic situation in non-ideological terms wants to switch to republic until the war is over. That being said, part of the point here is that we *should* switch to republic as soon as it is.

Comment

[roleplay]

Although I share those republican feelings, and because I share them, my friends and me cannot accept for long that the state be more or less subordinated to any church. I tell you that the first thing we will do after the people has gained his freedom, is to DEMAND that the Great Banana leaves the Republic alone ; we want that the religion be separated from the state. This separation will be remembered as the Banana split.

[/roleplay]
                      Statistical anomaly.
                      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT
                        [roleplay]

we want that the religion be separated from the state. This separation will be remembered as the Banana split.

[/roleplay]

Comment

[roleplay]

DAVOUT,

If the banana split is taken too far, we risk an eventual Thermidorean reaction. However, such matters can be worked out between the republican banana-spliters and the republican banana-lovers after the more critical task of toppling the ancien regime is complete. Until then, we must remain focused on the fact that we are all good republicans and the monarchists are our common foe.

[/roleplay]

Comment

[roleplay]

When I visited the beautiful land of Germany while I was attending Berlin University, I was deeply moved by a speech given by a scholar by the name of Karl Marx... He proposes a such radical political system in which the worker class unite and dispose of ruler class and create a anarchy like state in which no one rules over us. How strange... I wonder if this ideal sytem will ever work in apolytonia...."
                            [/roleplay]

Go Democracy!~ Skip Republic.
                            :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Calc II
                              [roleplay]
                              ... I wonder if this ideal sytem will ever work in apolytonia...."
                              [/roleplay]
                              I wonder if that "ideal" system will ever work anywhere...
                              Proud member of the Hawk Party.

Comment

Working...
                              X