$Mini-Game BETA: Trade Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $Mini-Game BETA: Trade Thread

Once you have acquired your land in this Bid/Join/Play thread you can post here.

Each new turn will begin with the most recent Market Assessment. That will end the previous turn. Winning deals will then go through, and you will be able to post new trades according to the new Market Assessment.

Posts to this thread should have format similar to the following fictional account:

Estate of Lord Guy Rich
    Turn #: 006
    Holdings: Tile 00X, SE Apolyton, Grassland (mine, rd)
    Stockpile: 0 food, 2 shields, 1 commerce
    Cash: $40
    Debt: -$750 (10% interest, 4 turns remaining on grace period)
    Buildings: Silo (1/10 completed)

Administered by: Lord Guy Rich (*or Banker or Steward)

Last turn's completed trades:
    Purchased 2 shields @ $150 each = -$300
    Hired 1 labourer @ $120 = -$120
    Sold 2 food @ $63 each = $+126
    Sold 1 commerce @ $74 = $+74
    Paid debt: -$50
    Net cash flow = -$270
    ---
    Production this turn: 2 food, 1 shield, 1 commerce
    ---

Proposed Deals:

Hire 2 labourers @$120** each (New D:S = 2:13 = $15)
    Sell 2 food @ $60** each (New D:S=26:31+2 = $79 )
    Sell 2 commerce @$70** (New D:S= 18/21+2 = $78 )
    Pay debt: $50

Feel free to cut and paste the above.
    Or if this is really too cumbersome and you have a better method, please outline it and if it's more popular, we'll use it instead of this. If anyone knows how to program something simple to do the calculations, go ahead. The adding part is easy, it's the ratios that are a bit tougher.

---
    *Note: You may choose to have your trades administered by a BANKER, who will then post for you. The BANKER will likely charge either a flat fee or a percentage of profits. You can arrange that with the Banker (currently Genghis Farb) or any other person who you trust.

**Note: The player is offering higher wages than demand would seem to set the default price at, however, he is anticipating that others will also be hiring labour and that will drive labour costs up. It may be he will have to revise his proposals anyways, but he was estimating from last turn's $120 rate, that he would have to pay something similar by the end of the turn if he wanted to secure the labour he eagerly desires. Note also that he set his selling prices lower than default, in anticipation other rivals will try to undercut him.

So, if you understood all that (it really isn't that complex...), then I hope you enjoy playing!

Who wants to be a millionaire?
    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Current Market Assessment:

Turn Number: 1
    In Game year: 430 BC
    "Special Economic Region": Apolyton, Termina, Tassagrad, BHQ

Total population: 13
    Available labour: 13

Food demand: 26
    Food supplied: 8+9+6+8= 31

D:S = 26/31 = 84%
    Default price = $84

Shield Demand: 6+4+3+3=16
    Shield Supply: 6+4+3+4=17

D:S: = 16/17 = 94%
    Default price = $94

Commerce Demand: 6+4+3+5=18
    Commerce Supplied: 6+5+3+7=21

D:S: = 18/21 =86%
    Default price = $86

The default price refers to the selling prices between the fictional market and fictional suppliers assuming no player activity. You, the player, are additional to this. So if you sell products, you'll increase supply and drop the price further. If you buy products, you'll increase the demand and raise the price. Got it? PM me or post in the Join/Bid/Play thread if you want more explanation.

(*Note: The difference between shields demanded and supplied is due to waste. Same idea for commerce. We ignore the effects of beakers for this Beta.)

Check the LATEST trade post for the most current default price (D:S). If you are suspicious of an error, check the previous post and make sure they added properly. THe Government, or Banker, or other person, can do audits too, for a fee. Service isn't free .
    Last edited by Captain; August 21, 2002, 17:51.
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

This operates on the honour system. If you feel someone has made an error (purposeful or not), you may perform an AUDIT of their finances. Or you can request the Bank to do so for a fee, if an error is found, the target account will pay the fee instead.

Example: If they have a jungle tile (food only), and somehow their account shows a stockpile of shields, despite not having traded for them... you may wish to investigate.

That is all.

Comment

Re: $Mini-Game BETA: Trade Thread

First Attempt:
        (In the example, you show the player with 4 food stockpiled yet they have no silo?)

Estate of GhengisFarb
        Turn #: 006
        Holdings:
        Tile 004 Apolyton NW, Grassland
        Tile 015 Termina NE3, Jungle
        Tile 022 Tassagrad NW, Jungle
        Stockpile: 4 food, 0 shields, 0 commerce
        Cash: $0
        Debt: -$1000 (10% interest, 10 turns remaining on grace period)

Administered by: GhengisFarb

---
        Production this turn: 4 food, 0 shield, 0 commerce
        ---

Proposed Deals:

Sell 3(of 4) food @ $100 each (?????)

Side note to fellow nobles: I am willing to "eat" one of my foods if a few of the other food producers would do the same thus allowing ALL of us food producers to make money without getting into a price war. Let us be civil and prosper together.

Comment

Re: Re: $Mini-Game BETA: Trade Thread

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
          First Attempt:
          (In the example, you show the player with 4 food stockpiled yet they have no silo?)
          no, there was no food stockpiled (i didn't edit the post either). it showed $40 cash though. but the first example was just a fictional one, sorry for any confusion. anyways, i've just corrected a few things in GF's post. Otherwise it's great! And the comments at the end about playing the market like OPEC does... well... we'll see if it holds up to cooperation or whether ruthless competition will prevail!

Estate of GhengisFarb
          Turn #: 001
          Holdings:
          Tile 004 Apolyton NW, Grassland
          Tile 015 Termina NE3, Jungle
          Tile 022 Tassagrad NW, Jungle
          Stockpile: 0 food, 0 shields, 0 commerce
          Debt: -$1000 (10% interest, 15 turns remaining on grace period)

Administered by: GhengisFarb

---
          Production this turn: 4 food, 0 shield, 0 commerce
          ---
          Proposed Deals:

Sell 3(of 4) food @ $76 each (New D:S = 26/31+3 = $76)

Side note to fellow nobles: I am willing to "eat" one of my foods if a few of the other food producers would do the same thus allowing ALL of us food producers to make money without getting into a price war. Let us be civil and prosper together.

Note: As soon as anyone else out there offers to sell food, the price will drop further automatically according to the ratio. See the example on p3 of the Bid/join/play thread. (As expected, food in such plentiful supply will not be very profitable.) Remember, only 26 units of food can be sold to the market (non-players) this turn. Only the first 26 units will be sold in order of increasing price, from lowest to highest.
          Last edited by Captain; August 21, 2002, 16:00.

Comment

hehe, ok...

The Jungle Gazette Estate:
            Turn #001
            Holdings:
            Tile 013, Jungle NE Termina1
            Tile 012, Jungle NE Termina2
            Stockpile: 0 food, 0 shield, 0 commerce
            Cash $0
            Dept: -$450

Administered by: UnOrthOdOx
            ___

Production this turn: 2 food, 1 Commerce (one jungle is next to river)
            ----

Proposed deals: Sell 2 food @ $50 (new D:S = 26/31+3+2 = $74)
            Sell 1 Commerce @ $75 (new DS = 18/21 +1= $81
            One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
            You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

guess i will try

the Jungle Farm[insert trademark sign here]

Holdings:
              023 Tassagrad NW10 (jungle)
              024 Tassagrad NW11 (jungle)
              025 Tassagrad NW12 (jungle)

Stockpile:
              0 food
              0 shields
              0 commerce

Cash: $250

Buildings: none. i would start one but i have no shields/commerce/labor

Administered by: jdd2007 for now, but i would like to hire something with a lot of time on their hands.

Proposed Deals:

Sell 2 food @ $60** each

edit: made some changes.
              Last edited by jdd2007; August 21, 2002, 20:04.

Comment

jdd, I believe workers are only used to change shields into something. Save yourself some ca$h as you have no shields.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Estate of Captain

Turn #001
                  Holdings: None
                  Stockpile: 0 food, 0 shield, 0 commerce
                  Cash $0
                  Debt: $0

Administered by: Captain

---
                  Production this turn: None
                  ---

Proposed deals:
                  Request approval from taxpayers (51%) for Government Agent Compensation (currently zero compensation):

1) Salary starting at $200 per turn of activity. Will be paid out of earnings from land sales.

OR

2) A 6% commission on all land sales conducted for the government (gov't paid, you don't pay anymore). Applied retroactively for most recent auction.

OR

3) Free available land of choice...

OR

All of the above. j/k

Comment

just to correct so we get off on the right foot. not trying to be anal, just trying to make it go smoothly. apologies if I'm overbearing.

Originally posted by jdd2007
                    guess i will try

the Jungle Farm[insert trademark sign here]

Holdings:
                    023 Tassagrad NW10 (jungle)
                    024 Tassagrad NW11 (jungle)
                    025 Tassagrad NW12 (jungle)

Stockpile:
                    0 food
                    0 shields
                    0 commerce

Cash: $250 (I assume you borrowed 250 on top of the 750 you borrowed for the land to reach your 1k limit)

Buildings: none. i would start one but i have no shields/commerce/labor

Administered by: jdd2007 for now, but i would like to hire something with a lot of time on their hands.

Production: 3 food (1 from each jungle tile)

Proposed Deals:
                    Sell 2 food @ $60** each (New D:S=26:31+3+2+2 = $68 )
                    Just cleaned it up for you. No charge

Comment

Now lets see if I follow

Food
                      Originally
                      (26/31) or 83% = $83

Then I sold 3 food which meant
                      (26/(31+3=34) or 76% = $76 x 3 or $228

So then UnOrthOdOx sold 2 and
                      (26/(34+2=36) or 72% = $72 X 2 or $144

Then jdd2007 sold 2
                      (26/(36+2=38) or 72% = $68 X 2 or $136

Is this correct?

So those transactions would go through at those dollar amounts IF there was no excess food supplied, if say there was 27 food offered, I being the highest price would only sell 2 at $76 each or $152?
                      Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; August 21, 2002, 16:40.

Comment

I think EVERYONES food price drops with the addition of more people, which is why I was kinda guessing at where it would end up with my offer. Otherwise, it just gives advantages to the first person.
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                          I think EVERYONES food price drops with the addition of more people, which is why I was kinda guessing at where it would end up with my offer. Otherwise, it just gives advantages to the first person.
                          Yeah, the earlier bidders have the chance of making more money but if everyone sells they don't make anything as their products are the ones not sold.

I also think you can lower you're offering price.

If we could get some quick clarification on my previous post I think I have some suggestions.
                          Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; August 21, 2002, 16:58.

Comment

No transactions go through until the next Market Assessment (end of one turn, start of another). These are how the marketplace fluctuates during the turn.

Food
                            Originally (26/31) or 83% = $83

GF offers 3 food
                            (26/(31+3=34) or 76% = $76

UnOrthOdOx offers 2
                            (26/(34+2=36) or 72% = $72

jdd2007 offers 2
                            (26/(36+2=38) or 68% =$68

So.. . the most current default price is $68.
                            Currently the nobles are selling a total of 7 food. Since that is less than the demand, as long as you sell at $68 or less, you're guaranteed a sale. If you sell higher than $68, you don't get a sale since the consumers will instead "buy" from the default suppliers (where the 31 comes from).

Now, pretend that more people decide to sell food. Pretend an additional 29 units flood the market. Then the new D:S would be 26:31+29 = 26:60 = $43. The default suppliers (where the 31 comes from) never go below default, so if you can sell at or below $43, you'll beat them. But since there's still 29 units offered and 26 demanded, the 3 highest priced units won't be sold.

As UnOrthO said, everyone's default prices drop as supply increases. It's not first come first serve. It's lowest price wins (generally).

Hope that helps.

Comment

This post is now obsolete. I keep it for the amount of supply and Demand in the thread to remain consistent. The up-to-date post can be found here

Estate of Spiffor
                              Holdings:
                              Tile 003b Apolyton W, Forest, Road.
                              Stockpile: 0 food, 0 shields, 0 commerce
                              Debt: -$1200 (10% interest, 15 turns remaining on grace period)

Administered by: Spiffor

---
                              Production this turn: 1food, 2 shield, 1 commerce
                              ---
                              Proposed Deals:

Sell 2 (of 2) shields @ $75 each (New D:S = 16/17+2 = $84)
                              Sell 1 (of 1) commerce @ $70 (New D:S = 18/22+1 = $78)
                              Last edited by Spiffor; August 22, 2002, 02:52.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X