X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: 130BC Tarsus - Persia

Originally posted by Paddy the Scot

Yes, I do like the idea of leaving their cities in ruins

A strike against madrid, yes... preach it !!!
    We could burn the persian mainland, and settle near that silk luxury.. There is naturally a risk of a culture flip in conquered madrid, but we can always station troops outside it to retake should that happen, while we try and build up some culture / eliminate the rest of their nation
    The Best Multiplayer Game Ever

Comment

Which Cities do we take???

Sidon and Sardis are on our home island.

We have a mass of troops out side Sidon.

We have four Swordsmen outside Sardis.

Do we attack Tyre? small island

Do we attack Samaria? another small island

or do we go for the main land???
      I agree on Sidon, Sardis and Tyre. Putting our swords outside Gordium as sitting ducks for one turn does not sound good to me.
      The viking age ended 1066 at Monday, September 25, 6pm

Comment

Edit: so does anyone have any plans then for this army we are building???
        Last edited by Paddy; March 5, 2004, 04:05.
        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
        I am of the Horde.

Comment

So am I correct that you are saying that we should not attack the main land then, just the three newer towns.
          I would have liked to have a pikeman or 3 in the stack outside Gordium. What does Jonny think about this?

Comment

Do you mean spearmen? Because we are far away from feudalism and pikemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny

Actually... I'm pretty sure I said 15-20 swordsmen, not spearman.
              Quote from Senate Session 21 :

Jonny: I want a total of approxamately 15-20 spears before an attack; we currently have 11

End Quote

Comment

As the mapmaker, I try not to make any suggestions or give out any hints that my knowledge of the game might reveal.

However, on this issue I think it's safe for me to give my proposal, as you already know the map of Persia and Spain.

Both Persia and Spain have excellent arguments for their being targets. Both should be attacked.

You should hit one of them hard, force a peace settlement then immediately hit the other.

My proposal is that you hit Persia first, because their cities on your island will soon grow to be very formidable.

Strike fast and hard. Land troops on their soil and destroy their cities until you can force peace. Consider attacking here:

This is their sole supply of iron. Destroy it and their counter strike against you will be crippled. Destroy the city and the roads and make it a chore for them to reconnect the iron. It'll give you some after you make peace and force them to give you techs so that you can:

Invade Madrid.

Take the Great Lighthouse and their cities on the southern island. Then threaten to damage as much of their core as possible and sue for peace and techs.

Then use the Great Lighthouse to further explore and, perhaps, find some other civs to trade with. Hopefully you'll have enough tech at this point to make some decent trades.

--Togas
                Greatest Moments in ISDG chat:"(12/02/2003) <notyoueither> the moon is blue. hell is cold. quote me, but i agree with ET. "
                Member of the Mercenary Team in the Civ 4 Team Democracy Game.
                Former Consul for the Apolyton C3C Intersite Tournament Team.
                Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.

Comment

Togas Im new to this game and I have had exactly the same thoughts as you, I was going to post the same shot as you have but conceed to you as getting there first

This plan is by far the best strategy for Persia, without the iron source you wont need to worry about more pikes being created.

You need to act fast or you will miss the optimun time to attack Persia.

If my vote counts for anything here then I stand with Togas!
                  A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
                    You need to act fast or you will miss the optimun time to attack Persia.
                    Have you got a detailed plan for this attack, like number and kind of units needed and when to attack?

Comment

sorry havent been around, had some family trouboles..

i agree with most here, lets clear our homeland and burn the pesinas on their land, take madrid ASAP for lighthouse..

load those swordsmen onto boats.

need about 4 per city to make sure i would send 6 per city .. i like overkill
                      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Hey Raz,

the sessions is on now

and we are ready to clear the homelands
                        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

@ the Viking,

Not really a detailed plan as such, but I do think the Iron source is a good target to take out.

The question is do we just pillage the Iron and fortify some units to hold the ground, if so we need plenty of defensive power for Persia will surely counter.

Do we pillage and run, by that I mean get back on board our galley and do one. This would only require one unit and could be possibly repeated if no persian ships come out to get us and a worker tries to reconnect the Iron. Especially an unguarded worker

Or as Togas suggests do we take out the Iron source then attack the city close by destroying it and all roads in the vicinity! If so then at least 3 or even better 4 galleys full of troops need to make the trip.

I would suggest landing directly onto the Iron source tile, and pilaging and running, but staying near enough to monitor attempts to reconnect. Maybe take out the roads to the other mountain tile would also be worthwhile making it harder for them to reconnect.

This requires only one boat and one or two units, leaving plenty of troops to fight the battle for the Persian cities closer to home.
                          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

sounds good....

lets take those persians down
                            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

A quick war then sue for peace in Persia sounds nice. There are two things to consider though - first we need to hold out in Persia for about 4 turns from the start of the war, until we can contact them again. Second, we will need those sizeable defences Jonny talked about in Persia so we don;t lose too many of our gains back during and after the war, whilst our forces are heading to Spain.

The Iron pillaging plan sounds good, but we don't IIRC have a Galley close enough to it right now - it would take a few turns to get there. However, if we pillaged and escaped into the Mts, we could pick off any worker that went to reconnect, seeing as the AI would not purposefully place a guard on the worker. However, by the time we got there the war would almost be over, so we might not need to sneak around for long, unless we delayed the war until there was a Galley with units there that could unload on the war's commencement.
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X