The War Debate - Persia or Spain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War Debate - Persia or Spain?

Should we attack Persia or is Spain the better target?

This debate has been seen on a few threads and now has a focal point.

So lets us debate this and get our thoughts onto the thread so that we can come to a concensus...

and please remember Egypt is watching all, and has cities all around us.
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

hmm, had thought that major Rasputin would be here by now
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

We have probably the 3 largest nations around us,
      Egypt with a total city size of 100, Persia with 92 and Spain with 91 while we have 57, of the nations we have not met yet there seems to be 5 with less population than us the rest of same size or larger.
      Currently both Egypt and Persia have Knights and it will be a waste of good Vikings to try to fight them with sword. The best scenario I can see is to wait until we get Berserker and then do a sea attack on Spain’s many costal cities, the problem is that we will need to buy techs from the 3 big nations to get Berserker quick enough.
      The viking age ended 1066 at Monday, September 25, 6pm

Comment

I suggest we make some espionage of the persian colonies near us. I guess they are defended with only one or two spearmen. We should be able to take them quickly. After this we will wait for their knights and destroy them with swordsmen and archers until we make peace with them. Hopefully we will get the needed technologies for free.
        After this we can launch an attack against Spain with berserkers and pikemen.

Comment

Originally posted by ormuzd
          I guess they are defended with only one or two spearmen. We should be able to take them quickly. .
          They have pikemen.
          The viking age ended 1066 at Monday, September 25, 6pm

Comment

Originally posted by theViking

They have pikemen.
            Not in the cities we're planning to attack first. We haven't seen them move any pikemen into the target cities, and these cities don't have harbors connecting them to the Persian mainland, so they can rush-buy them after our DoW.

Why we must attack the Persians:
            • The Persians control cities on our home island. These must be taken from them to secure our home island and prevent the Persians from having a staging area for a land attack against us. After all, the AI is much more competent at land invasions than sea invasions.
            • We should take out the Persian island cities before they build Harbors and thus build Knights, Pikemen, and such.
            • We've already spent much time positioning our troops on the Persian border; if we spend more time repositioning them, we'll be even further behind!

Comment

Ive taken a look at the last save and Oops!!

Sorry first off let me say Im new to this here demo game, and I obviously need to get up to speed with how everything works etc.

Please bear with me if I seem abrupt I do not mean to. To me after studying the last save from your most recent turnchat it is clear that the Vikings are behind!

The debate here is who to attack next, Spain or Persia! I would have said Persia without doubt, as they have cities on what is in reality your land. Sorry our land, got to remeber Im a Viking too if youll have me that is

I even have some startegies that I think would work well for an assault on mainland Persia, But!! there is a very juicy target sitting very close to our lands. Madrid!! and the Great Lighthouse!!

I believe that if alliances can be arranged at the optimun moment! we could with enough force, storm Madrid and capture this prize, and from the map it seems it would be quite possible to defend.

Their cities are sprawled out on some very stringy landforms with plenty of 1 tile links. Their culture is far lower than Persia or Egypt, thus far less risk of flips. But dont forget that if you nick there capitol there culture will take a right big knock, making them even more susceptable to the Viking doctrine

I may be wrong as I have not scrutinised the save with a fine tooth comb but of the three civs you have contact with Spain are the weaker neighbours and ripe for the picking.

Let Persia wait until you are more powerful, and until you have your beserkers on line. Which is some way off.

If we can grab The Lighthouse then a couple of explorers should set out to find more civs to trade with and hopefully aquire some more techs, or alternatively open embassies and steal the tech instead Of course this requires cash and to get more cash we need more cities, Spanish cities

from the top 5 cities screen and the wonders screen it looks as though some of the as yet undiscovered civs are even more developed than your imediate neighbours, so the chances of finding a weaker chicken to pluck than Spain are quite remote, and they are right next door!!
              A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Persia!

Reasons to attack Persia

1. We've fought them before. The computer hold grudges.

2. They hold colonies on our continent and islands we lay claim to.

3. Our advisers say their armies are roughly equal to ours. I don't think this takes into account the tech gap.

4. We Hate them.

5. They are baby eaters.

6. We want their land.

7. Our troops are already deployed near their border, ready to strike.

Reasons to Attack Spain:

1. They are not Persia.
                Duddha: I will return...
                Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
                "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
                Free California!

Comment

Re: Persia!

Originally posted by Duddha
                  5. They are baby eaters.
                  And you're not?

Comment

I have only advocated baby eating in the defense of this nation.
                    Duddha: I will return...
                    Arnelos: ... and the civilizied world shudders ...
                    "I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
                    Free California!

Comment

You are a diplomat Duddha
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

Persia or BUST!

But we must take out a huge part of Spain before they get to their UU. They wont harm us much on their own lands, but to see those 6 move Conquiestadors (sp?) on our island would be terrible.

Comment

Welcome Chrisius! Thanks for the post, you've just saved me posting all my reasons why I thought Spain should be our first target. I had this opinion last I saw the game, when I was President back in term II (or was it III, or both?), so I am not fully up to date.

However, something no-one has touched upon - the Persians have Immortals! Nasty, evil, spiky Immortals! They will have their GA too, inevitably. Although Persia is the closest and likeliest target, they will be the hardest too. Spain may be the easier of the three (no UU, no GA), but just a little further off. Keep these things in mind. I cannot say further until I get home to NZ and can check the save (17 hours to go!)
                          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Persia or Spain...

Yes we have troops stationed around the two Persian cities on our 'Homelands.'

The SMC has stated his desire that we have 15 to 20 Spearmen before we start war. So we are several turns from kick of date.

We do know that the Persians have Immortals, Knights and Pikemen. Against these we have Swordsmen.

Immortals are 4-2-1
                            Knights are 4-3-2
                            Pikes are 1-3-1

Swordsmen are 3-2-1

I do not want to be squimish, yet the stats show that our Swordsmen will have to work very hard against such troops.

The following pic shows our current armed forces...

It must also be noted that next turn we get the technology of Monarchy...
                            Attached Files
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

Here is a pic of the Persian Cities on our Homeland Isle.

There is a Pikeman now stationed in Sidon. This is only a very recent development.
                              Attached Files
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                              X