Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expansion Pack Civs: One more thread... (Let's do this right)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion Pack Civs: One more thread... (Let's do this right)

There has been a lot of debate about which civs should have been included in Civ3 but weren't and should thus be put in an Expansion Pack (if there will ever be one). In my opinion there have been too many threads about this subject already and it's getting tiresome but I decided to start my own anyway. This is because IMHO none of the existing threads is really satisfactory: all these threads are standard vBB polls that only allow 10 options, while there are many more civs to choose from and some civs are more important than others. That's why I suggest a different system, one that allows everyone to vote for those civs which (s)he thinks are the most important. Hopefully this allows everyone to say their thing and be done with it...

I suggest we use the following system: you can post up to 16 civs that you feel should be included in an expansion pack (no more since an expansion pack is not likely to contain more and because it would only be more work to keep track of). You can post any civs you feel should be included, whether it's a big civ like Spain or a small one like Liechtenstein You can assign points to each of these civs: the more points you give, the more important you think it is for this civ to be included. You can assign at most 160 points in total and 20 to a single civ (this to prevent people from giving a lot of points to one civ and thus disrupting the 'reliability' of this poll). I'll volunteer to keep track of all posts and keep an overall ranking in this first post.

Edit: a couple of new 'rules' to avoid misunderstandings:
    * If you just post civ names and no points, the points will be distributed equally among all choices. So if you post 16 names without points, all choices will get 10 points. If you post 8 names, all choices will get 20 points. If you don't agree with the points I assigned to your choices, give points yourself in the first place or change your vote afterwards (see below).
    * Post an exact name: for the purpose of this thread, different names indicate different civs. Of course, it doesn't matter when you vote for Celts, Kelts or Celtic but it does matter when you post for Israeli, Jews or Hebrew. If you vote for Hebrew your points go to the Hebrew, if you vote for Israeli your points go to the Israeli, whether you think these two are the same or not (same with Turks/Ottoman, etc). If you post several names, e.g. Turks/Ottoman or Carthagian/Phoenician, all points go to the name you post first. So in the examples the points would go to Turks and Carthagian.
    * If you wish to change your vote for any reason, that's possible but please don't edit your existing post or just post a new list. This would be very confusing for me to keep track of. Instead, only post the changes you wish to make. FE, if you already voted but see someone vote for the Cubans and think 'that's brilliant, why didn't I think of that?', you can change your vote by posting 'Arabs -7, Cubans +7' or something like that. Please do this even if you still have enough points left, so I can doublecheck to make sure you don't exceed the maximum number of civs/points. So if you only 'spent' 150 points over 12 civs, don't just posts 'Cubans 10' but rather 'Cubans +10'. TIA for doing so.

Some example civs to guide you in picking your civs (by no means exhaustive, feel free to post others): (Africa) Bantu, Zimbabwe, Swahili, Nigeria, Benin, Ghana, Mali, Moors, Morocco, Ethiopia/Axum, Nubia, Carthage, South Africa/Boer (Americas) Eskimo, Canada, Sioux, Cheyenne, Apache, Navajo, Hopi, Olmec, Maya, Inca, Tolmec, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina (Oceania) Maori, Aboriginals, Australia, Polynesia, Philippines, Indonesia (Asia) Khmer, Siam/Thai, Burma/Myanmar, Cambodia, Mongol, Annam/Vietnam, Korea, Tibet, Tamil, Sikh, Moghul, Kazakh, Pakistan, Parthia, Bactria, Armenia, Arabia, Hebrew, Hittites, Sumerian, Turkish/Ottomans, Byzantine, Phoenicia, Fillistines(sp?), Iraq (Europe) Spanish, Dutch, Minoan, Celts, Viking, Polish, Austria(-Hungary), Italy, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Danish, Scots, Irish, Belgium, Portuguese, Basque, Slavic, Serbia, Macedonia, Czech, Swiss, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Goths (for more: see ranking)

Here's the overall ranking (last update: Cybershy, # of votes: 51, # of points: 7734):
    #&nbsp Civilizations     &nbsp  &nbsp Points  &nbsp Votes
    1. Mongols
    2. Spanish
    3. Vikings
    4. Arabs
    5. Inca
    6. Turks/Ottomans
    7. Hebrew/Israelis
    8. Celts
    9. Maya
    10. Ethiopians
    11. Carthaginians
    12. Dutch
    13. Koreans
    14. Phoenicians
    15. Portuguese
    16. Sioux/Dakota
    17. Polynesians
    18. Byzantines
    19. Khmer
    20. Mali
    21. Assyrians
    22. Australians
    23. Huns
    24. Polish
    25. Siamese
    26. Apache
    27. Aborigines
    28. Canadians
    29. Italians
    30. Tibetans
    31. Eskimos
    32. Trojans
    33. Sumerians
    34. Songhai
    35. Serbs
    36. Zimbabwe
    37. Vietnamese
    38. Ghanaians
    39. Magyar/Hungarian
    40. Philistines
    41. Philippines
    42. Mexicans
    43. Olmec
    44. Austro-Hungarians
    45. Hittites
    46. Nigerians
    47. Slavs
    48. Kushites
    49. Inuit
    50. Scandinavians
    51. Scots
    52. Bangladesh
    53. Bedouin
    54. Confederates
    55. Cuba
    56. Indonesia
    57. Iraq
    58. Kilwans
    59. Tartars
    60. Ugandians
    61. Welsh
    62. Neanderthals
    63. Hopi
    64. Nubians
    65. Cherokee
    66. Etruscs
    67. Goths
    68. Hawaiians
    69. Navaho
    70. Yankees
    71. Anasazi
    72. Native Americans
    73. Berbers
    74. Boers
    75. Hmong
    76. Tunguz
    77. Mesopotamians
    78. Argentinians
    79. Armenia
    80. Bantu
    81. Harappan
    82. Indus Valley People
    83. Javans
    84. Maori
    85. Columbians
    86. Kazakhs
    Last edited by Locutus; August 13, 2001, 20:41.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

My personal choices (most, if not all, of these civs have been discussed before so I won't bother to explain my choices):

1. Zimbabwe - 10
    2. Mali - 8
    3. Nubia - 6
    4. Olmec - 6
    5. Maya - 15
    6. Polynesia - 8
    7. Khmer - 8
    8. Mongol - 15
    9. Arabia - 15
    10. Hebrew - 10
    11. Turkish - 10
    12. Phoenicia - 15
    13. Spanish - 12
    14. Dutch - 10
    15. Viking - 6
    16. Polish - 6

Comment

Heres what i'd like to see included:

1. Assyrian - 15
      2. Spanish - 15
      3. Vinking - 15
      4. Celtic - 15
      5. Inca - 14
      6. Zimbabwee - 14
      7. Mongol - 13
      8. Mesopotamian - 12
      9. Turkish - 10
      10. Mexican - 10
      11. Australian - 10
      12. Carthaginian - 8
      13. Native American - 4
      14. Sioux - 3
      15. Huns - 1
      16. Byzantines - 1
      Alex

Comment

1. Mali-20
        2. Phoenicians- 10
        3. Turks/Ottomans-10
        4. Arabs-10
        5. Hebrews-10
        6. Viking-16
        7. Ghana-12
        8. Dutch-13
        9. Inca-13
        10. Mongol-20
        11. Byzantines-20
        When the stars threw down their spears,
        and water'd heaven with their tears,
        Did he smile his work to see?
        Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Comment

Here are my votes!

1) Spanish - 20
          2) Celts - 20
          3) Mongols - 20
          4) Ethiopia - 20
          5) Vikings - 20
          6) Turkish - 10
          7) Hebrews - 10
          8) Inca - 10
          9) Portugal - 5
          10)Poland - 5
          11) Navaho - 5
          12)Polynesian - 5
          13)Carthage - 5
          14) Arabia - 5
          "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk." -Tuco Benedicto Juan Ramirez
          "I hate my hat, I hate my clubs, I hate my life" -Marcia
          "I think it would be a good idea."
          - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Comment

Here's what I would like to see:

1. Spanish
            2. Vikings
            3. Mongols
            4. Celts
            5. Hebrews
            6. Assyrians
            7. Carthaginians/Phoenicians
            8. Hittites
            9. Maya
            10. Turks
            11. Arabs/Saracens
            12. Philistines
            13. Olmecs
            14. Polish
            15. Polynesians
            16. Koreans

Keep in mind, in an expansion, I wouldn't expect more than 8 civs.
            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

In fact I would like to see all. However for this, here is my list.

1. Spain
              2. Nigeria
              3. Mali
              4. Ethiopia
              5. Maya
              6. Inca
              7. Brazil
              8. Sioux
              9. Apache
              10. Cherokee Loctus you miss this one, plus my G.GreatGrand Mother was one.
              11. Mongol
              12. Tibet Was an Empire before China was united.
              13. Portuguese
              14. Celts
              15. Viking
              16. Arabia

Comment

Obviously, the ULTIMATE SOLUTION is for Firaxis to build into Civ 3 the ability for us to ADD OUR OWN CUSTOM CIVS -- as many as we want! -- the playable mix in a standard, random map game!

I AM STILL HOPING THAT THEY WILL DO THIS (are you listening, Firaxis?)!

But, if they don't, a Civ expansion pack as you describe would me the next best thing and NECESSARY because, without the ability to play with the and against the Civs that I want, I will not buy the game. So, here's my top 16 Civs NOT YET INCLUDED in Civ 3:

1. Celts (an amalgam of the Irish, Scots, and Welsh) - 20
                2. Arabs (an amalgam of all the Arab nations, from Iraq down to Aden and west to Morocco) - 20
                3. Israelis (NOT Hebrews!) - 20
                4. Incans - 10
                5. Spanish - 10
                6. Confederates (capital = Richmond, all Southern US cities, circa 1861) - 20
                7. Yankees (capital = Washington, all Northern US Cities, circa 1861) - 5
                8. Polynesians - 10
                9. Austro-Hungarians - 10
                10. Portuguese (include Brazilian cities) - 5
                11. Turks - 10
                12. Byzantines - 5
                13. Scandinavians (an amalgam of Norwegians, Swedes, Finns, Danes, and Icelanders) - 5
                14. Mongols - 3
                15. Dutch - 3
                16. Ethiopians - 4

Oh, and if this expansion pack will be offered, please change Britain back to England if you are going to have Queen Elizabeth as the leader OR if it is to remain Britain, change the leader to Queen Victoria!

Lose the ahistorical black as coal Pharoah!

The French leader ought to be Louis the XIV (the Sun king) or Napoleon, NOT Joan of Arc!

The American leader ought to be George Washington NOT Abe Lincoln!

The Russian leader ought to be Peter the Great NOT Lenin!

The Chinese leader ought not to be the butcher Mao!

NOTE: I didn't realize you were supposed to allocate 160 pts when I first posted, so I just edited this post and allocated them!
                Last edited by Arator; August 12, 2001, 13:34.
                My most wanted Civ III civ which was missing from Civ II: the ARABS!

Comment

Viking 20
                  Magyar 10
                  Spanish 15
                  Inca 15
                  Maya 10
                  Anasazi 15
                  Maori 10
                  Hawaiian 5
                  Australian Aborigine 10
                  Hebrew 20
                  Arab 15
                  Ethiopian 3
                  Boer 3
                  Berber 3
                  Hmong 3
                  Tibetan 3

Comment

And here's mine:

1. Maya - 20
                    2. Inca - 20
                    3. Siux - 20
                    4. Philippines - 20
                    5. Japan - 15
                    6. Australian - 15
                    7. Spanish - 15
                    8. Apache - 12
                    9. Brazil - 10
                    10. Mexico - 8
                    11. Scandinavians - 5
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Excellent lists guys, some choices there that I hadn't even thought of myself. Hmm, a clear top 3 formed already (hasn't really changed since Tis I's post I think) and the top 8 is also becoming fairly stable by Brent's post. Below that, things still change rapidly.

Tis I,
                      FYI, you have 6 points left. Of course there's no necessity to 'spend' all points but since everyone else did, I thought I'd mention it. On the Turks/Ottomans choice: I gave all points to the Turks (see new rules below).

Alexander,
                      I gave all civs 10 points, including the Carthaginians and Arabs, Phoenicians and Saracens didn't get any points (se new rules).

Joseph,
                      I gave all civs 10 points. As I said, the list I gave above is by no means exhaustive. I had a list of dozens of Native American tribes in front of me and couldn't possibly post them all, so I just randomly selected a couple of 'big ones'. Same goes for the Middle Eastern civs BTW.

Arator,
                      I gave all your civs 10 points as well.
                      I agree, but even if the number of custom civs is unlimited (which remains to be seen), it's still possible that Firaxis might bring out an expansion pack to make some of the fan-made civs 'official'. It's a good idea to see what civs people want in any case.

Brent,
                      Very, uhmm, alternative list. I like it. Must admit I never even heard of the Hmong though...

ADG,
                      You just posted a few minutes too late. Started updating the list just before you posted. I'll add you in a moment though. However, Japan is already in Civ3, so I'm gonna have to ignore that one. Feel free to post an update to your list though...

All,
                      In processing the votes I encountered a couple of issues that require new 'rules'. These rules serve mostly to avoid misunderstandings, I hope noone objects to them:
                      * If you just post civ names and no points, the points will be distributed equally among all choices. So if you post 16 names without points, all choices will get 10 points. If you post 8 names, all choices will get 20 points. If you don't agree with the points I assigned to your choices, give points yourself in the first place or change your vote afterwards (see below).
                      * Post an exact name: for the purpose of this thread, different names indicate different civs. Of course, it doesn't matter when you vote for Celts, Kelts or Celtic but it does matter when you post for Israeli, Jews or Hebrew. If you vote for Hebrew your points go to the Hebrew, if you vote for Israeli your points go to the Israeli, whether you think these two are the same or not (same with Turks/Ottoman, etc). If you post several names, e.g. Turks/Ottoman or Carthagian/Phoenician, all points go to the name you post first. So in the examples the points would go to Turks and Carthagian.
                      * If you wish to change your vote for any reason, that's possible but please don't edit your existing post or just post a new list. This would be very confusing for me to keep track of. Instead, only post the changes you wish to make. FE, if you already voted but see someone vote for the Cubans and think 'that's brilliant, why didn't I think of that?', you can change your vote by posting 'Arabs -7, Cubans +7' or something like that. Please do this even if you still have enough points left, so I can doublecheck to make sure you don't exceed the maximum number of civs/points. So if you only 'spent' 150 points over 12 civs, don't just posts 'Cubans 10' but rather 'Cubans +10'. TIA for doing so.

Comment

Celtic
                        Viking
                        Sumerian
                        Harappan
                        Turkish
                        Arabian
                        Hebrew
                        Berber/Carthiginian
                        Incan
                        Mayan
                        Hittite
                        Inuit
                        Polynesian
                        Sioux
                        Spanish
                        Dutch
                        får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

1. Khmer - 20 Points
                          2. Kilwans - 20 Points (You may add them to the non-existent "Swahili" if you like)
                          3. Kushites - 20 Points
                          4. Songhai - 20 Points
                          5. Incas - 20 Points
                          6. Magyars - 10 Points
                          7. Spanish - 10 Points
                          8. Mongols - 10 Points
                          9. Polynesians - 10 Points
                          10. Phoenicians - 10 Points
                          11. Celts - 10 Points
                          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Arabs: 18
                            Incas: 18
                            Spanish: 18
                            Mongols:14
                            Vikings: 14
                            Ethiopians: 14
                            Mayans: 10
                            Javans: 10
                            Carthaginians: 10
                            Turks: 7
                            Mali: 7
                            Dutch: 7
                            Vikings: 7
                            Apache: 2
                            Hungarians: 2
                            Khmer: 2
                            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Hungarians -2, Magyars +2 (just to avoid any mixups.)
                              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Working...
                              X