Originally posted by Fosse
I am strongly considering an army, the pyramids, and waiting for a palace. I decide to go with the pyramids for a few reasons: the AI has been building them for centuries, this will surly hurt them a bit. I'm wrapping up my war with China, and have a HUGE tract of land to drop settlers into. I'm sure having free granaries from turn 1 for about a dozen cities would be nice. So I do it.
I am strongly considering an army, the pyramids, and waiting for a palace. I decide to go with the pyramids for a few reasons: the AI has been building them for centuries, this will surly hurt them a bit. I'm wrapping up my war with China, and have a HUGE tract of land to drop settlers into. I'm sure having free granaries from turn 1 for about a dozen cities would be nice. So I do it.
But it did teach us that if you're not going for UP, domination is easier than you think.
And was your (temporary) exile self-imposed or spouse-imposed? On a more serious note, I also think the "keep an OCC civ around for technology advantage" is a worthwhile strategy. Unless I have any real fear of flips, or unless an OCC's presence bears additional indirect costs to me, I like to frequently leave them alive for (1) the tech pricing issues you identify, and (2) the role-playing pleasure of allowing them to forever dwell on their mistakes in challenging the strength of my civ. A few OCCs also offer the flexibility of "managing" the majority needed for a UN win -- 6 civs left and I need 4 votes? but if one of the OCCs (who hates me the most) were to retire, then I only need 3 votes . . .
Comment