Campo Challenge 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campo Challenge 1

I'm interested in improving my game. I've been reading this forum for a couple years and I have a pretty good understanding, but I'm missing some game-play details. So my idea (hatched a few weeks ago in a thread conversation with SG1) was to play a game, post the start, invite anyone else to play it themselves, and ask them to post a series of saved games so I can see their progress and learn.

I started the game a couple weeks ago. I don't have a lot of playing time so it takes me a while to finish. I actually went beyond my original idea -- I saved regularly and kept a fairly detailed log.

Below is a zip file that contains my game start, bc4000.sav. Random map, Deity, Raging Hordes (although they didn't rage much in my game), Small World (that's all I play because of time), playing as the English. My goal was conquest. Anyone interested please play the game and, after you've won, post periodic saves so I can check out what you did.

In the next post is a zip that contains my log file and smy frequent saves. If interested, evaluate my progress and let me know where I went wrong.

I have to admit to some embarrassment: I didn’t play a good game, even for me. I'm not sure if it was the distraction of keeping a log, the pressure of intending to post publicly, or just random factors. However I played rather poorly. My tech path was very unfocused, and I made some poor choices in what to build and in my conquest path. I'm ashamed to admit that I was in Monarchy the whole game. I can't remember the last time that happened. (I usually switch to Commie, sometimes Fundy, but I got SOL just the last turn before I finished). I almost decided not to post because I know I can do better than this, but what the heck -- the point is to learn.

BTW, I've tried OCC and ICS in the past, and while they're fine methods they aren't the way I like to play. Feel free to play this game however you want, but a more "middle" approach would be more instructive to me.

Here is the save file:
    Attached Files

Log and all saves

Here's a zip file with my game log and a lot of saved games:
    Attached Files

Comment

Just so you know, I've had Civ2 since early 1999. However because of work and family obligations, I only play about one game a month. A little more in the winter, less in the summer.

During the first six months I worked my way up to King level and could win easily there, but I couldn't beat emperor. Then I found Apolyton, read as much as I could, and gradually beat Emperor and then Deity. I win at Deity easily now, but my times and scores are way below what other people post, so I know there's a lot of room for improvement.

Comment

OK - just dled - see what I can make of it...
        In your studying did you come across the thread "Come Laugh at an SG" - if I can find it I shall bump it ...

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

OK - just dled
          Do you mean you just lost a Civ game? If not then you've got me stumped, SG.

did you come across the thread "Come Laugh at an SG"
          That title sounds familiar, but I don't remember any details.

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
            In your studying did you come across the thread "Come Laugh at an SG" - if I can find it I shall bump it ...

SG[1]
            Yes Campo play this game. IIRC correctly arii did a stupidly fast conquer for the map, and there were some good landing times as well.
            Last edited by DrSpike; April 19, 2002, 09:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Campo

Do you mean you just lost a Civ game? If not then you've got me stumped, SG.
              He meant downloaded

Comment

Progress Report #1
                100 AD
                The Celts are no more
                The Aztecs have just declared war
                Vet ellies are fun

SG[1]
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

OK - just dled
                  Ah. the bulb lights.

I thought the "l" was an "i", so I read it as "died" rather than "dled".

I never use any chat tool so I'm not up on all the abbreviations.

Comment

Progress Report #1 100 AD
                    100 AD? SG, how can you play that fast? I just put it there a couple hours ago.

It probably took me 8 hours over two weekends to reach 100 AD.

Comment

I see that SG1 is the only one to download thus far. I'll try it out soon. I even play at a similar speed as you - kids, house, job keep impeding on my civ time.
                      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                      intelligence to few.

Comment

If you (or anyone else) doesn't have time or interest to actually play it, feel free just to examine my log and some saved games, and give me some feedback.

I have never once been able to play a civ game to completion on consecutive days, let alone one sitting. I love the game but it sure eats up time.

Comment

Campo, you're pretty much describing me when you describe yourself. I probably don't have much to teach you, but I think I'll try out this good little idea of yours and see if I can learn along with you.

Like you and le bon Marquis, I play slowly and marvel at the fast players. Maybe we'd best stay out of MP games, huh?

Comment

debeest,

Judging by your previous posts I'd expect you to beat my game pretty easily. It would be nice if it turns out that I'm better than I think. I don't expect that though.

If I tried MP I think I'd learn how bad I really am.

Comment

I'll play along, I haven't done a conquest game for a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X