Campo Challenge 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bloody Monk
    How do you deal with a red face in a size two city, with three units for martial law-- without a temple??
    One red face?
    Originally posted by Bloody Monk
    The problem was generating black faces
    No, this is not a problem, but an advantage. The reason is a Civ2 bug that turns very unhappy faces immediately to happy. See happiness quirk..., the DaveV's post from 23-05-2001 17:41 and my subsequent post.
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowThinker

No, this is not a problem, but an advantage. The reason is a Civ2 bug that turns very unhappy faces immediately to happy.
      Yes, I remember this discussion and other mentions of this quirk over the years; and I recalled it and tried to implement it (move out the milita), but the red face remained.

I was thinking forward, planning what to do when the city grew. I wanted my cities to grow so they could produce faster. I wanted to quickly build a large attack force. I found I would need a temple to keep from going into disorder when they grew. My impression is that the quirk works if you want to limit city size. I didn't; so, it was a problem and not an advantage.
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowThinker
        One red face?

I have no idea what you are trying to communicate by this. A complete sentence might help.

Comment

How do you deal with a red face in a size two city, with three units for martial law-- without a temple??
          Originally posted by SlowThinker
          One red face
          I think I understood your sentence - there were 2 black faces before the martial law, and one red face after it, weren't they?

About bug/quirk: You need a "luxury" type item (luxuries or Gardens) to get the quirk to work.

Comment

• Slow

I think the problem comes from your focusing on and asking about a sentence taken out of context. Go back to the original post and reread the previous sentence to the one you quote. I say there that I could not do it without building temples and the Garden. That statement forms the predicate for the sentence you quote.

With the Gardens my size two city had one happy and one unhappy...one red face in the Pop screen. ( In the happiness screen it was black, red; modified to blue, red by units; and green, red by Wonders.) That does not create an immediate problem--the city is not in disorder; but it does pose a future problem as the city can not grow without disorder eventually becoming a problem. I tried every permutation of moving units, etc, and could not discover how the 'quirk' was helpful if the cities were to grow and not be burdened by elvi or 60% Luxuries (either of which would reduce shields).

If there is a way for a city to grow and not fall into disorder when there are no units in the garrison, I would like to know.

Comment

• You need infrastructure or luxuries even with HG after you grow past size 2. Another quirk you can use is that just 2 luxuries will make a double unhappy person happy.

Comment

I think the problem comes from your focusing on and asking about a sentence taken out of context. Go back to the original post and reread the previous sentence to the one you quote.
                I agree. I missed the sentence with Gardens.

I tried every permutation of moving units, etc,
                I think you needn't to experiment. The happiness mechanics is clear.
                If you imagine that black face is -2, red face -1, blue 0 and green 1, you need the sum 0 so that the city don't riot.
                An example: The Gardens gives you +1 if applied to the red face, but +3 if applied to the black face. So, if you move a combat unit out of the city, you lose -1 (the martial law don't work), but (in some situations) you gain +2 (the Gardens gives you +3 in place of +1).
                ...and could not discover how the 'quirk' was helpful if the cities were to grow and not be burdened by elvi or 60% Luxuries...
                The quirk works if any happiness-mechanism of the "luxury" type (luxuries, Gardens, Cure for cancer, Courthouse and Palace in democracy) applies to the black face. Cure for Cancer and democracy is out of the question, so you need luxuries from Elvis, luxuries from trade or Gardens.

A sidenote: the disorder needn't be so bad: it preserves food, shield support and gold, only shield surplus and beakers are lost.

Comment

Working...
                X